Another what car should I get thread. Now with added NCD.

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
We’re going to need a new car soon. Our Jag XF is lovely but the boot space is getting to be a problem and it’s a Euro cat 5 diesel, which means we’ll get clobbered for the new London emissions surcharge before too long.

So we’re thinking medium sized estate. Volvo V60, BMW 320 touring or Audi A4 Avant look the favourites so far. Definite wants:

automatic

not massive so no Skoda Superb, 5 series or V90

decent level of kit: sat nav, parking sensors, Bluetooth, heated leather seats. 

newish (say not more than 2 years old)
budget of up to £25k.

We only do 7k miles a year so I guess we should consider petrol rather than diesel this time?

Thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you are in London , Mitsubishi Outliander PHEV. Not an estate but not a huge SUV.  Get the higher spec models and all the kit you want and more is on there.  No tax and probably no conjestion charge.  
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited November 2018
    I’m not in London but we do visit my mum every week, who is. Also not fond of SUV’s to be honest but I’ll take a look. 
    Double post 
  • Foot print will likely be shorter then estate. But boot won’t be as big. 
  • Skoda Octavia
    I don't have experience of their current petrol engines but they are VW/Audi so will probably be very good in all respects.
    Our 2008 diesel estate is the best car I've ever owned. I only sold it because I didn't need a car that size anymore, but I want one again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I would probably go for a Hybrid, Toyota do the Auris Touring which is quite nice, but if you want something a bit fancier most companies only make bigger cars in Hybrid form. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    boogieman said:
    Volvo V60, BMW 320 touring or Audi A4 Avant look the favourites so far. Definite wants:

automatic

Are you after something a bit badgey? 

Otherwise, Octavia VRS? Huge boot, not slow, sensibly priced, decent kit. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I work for both Seat and Skoda.

The Leon estate drives nicer than the Octavia as you feel a bit more connected to the road.

If you’re not after out right performance our 1.5 TSi would be my choice.
    Sporky said:
    boogieman said:
    Volvo V60, BMW 320 touring or Audi A4 Avant look the favourites so far. Definite wants:

automatic

Are you after something a bit badgey? 

Otherwise, Octavia VRS? Huge boot, not slow, sensibly priced, decent kit. 
    No, I’m not necessarily tied to any particular brands, just those ones kept coming up as the sort of thing we’re looking for. My wife likes the looks of the V60. She’s s rented one in the past and pronounced it very comfortable (which tbh is the thing she worries about the most). I hadn’t considered the Octavia (or the Leon). Hmmm, more food for thought. 

If you are in London , Mitsubishi Outliander PHEV. Not an estate but not a huge SUV.  Get the higher spec models and all the kit you want and more is on there.  No tax and probably no conjestion charge.  
    I had a look at Honest John reviews and the Outlander doesn’t look that great in real life. £130 road tax after the first year. It also weighs two tonnes and the real life mpg is nothing like the manufacturer’s claims...mid 60s rather than 145. We get 55 out of the Jag at the moment and that’s a 3 litre v6. The driving experience isn’t great either with a noisy unrefined engine and so-so interior. 
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Just checked on the internet, if I wanted (god knows why) to drive to london I'd have to pay £100 a day!

Part of me can't help but wonder if this is all a cynical ploy to keep the underclass in their place by essentially pricing them out of activities and hopefully pushing them out of London. 

Assuming I don't have to pay out for repairs (so the cost of the vehicle, tax, insurance, fuel, annual service) costs me £6.26 a day (based on chucking £30 worth of fuel in a week). How can they justify charging people an extra £100 a day?
    Foster said:
    Just checked on the internet, if I wanted (god knows why) to drive to london I'd have to pay £100 a day!

Part of me can't help but wonder if this is all a cynical ploy to keep the underclass in their place by essentially pricing them out of activities and hopefully pushing them out of London. 

Assuming I don't have to pay out for repairs (so the cost of the vehicle, tax, insurance, fuel, annual service) costs me £6.26 a day (based on chucking £30 worth of fuel in a week). How can they justify charging people an extra £100 a day?
    That’s what’s made us look at changing car. In a couple of years time we’re looking at £12.50 a day just to travel into outer London, let alone the central part. No doubt that’s just a starting point too and it’ll go up from there.

I can see the point, because older vehicles are the most polluting, but you’re right in that it’ll price out people who aren’t in a position to replace their cars/vans/lorries. It’s going to kill a lot of small businesses. No doubt London shop prices and rents will go up to compensate too. I guess the hope is that commuters will switch to public transport but a) that’s not feasible for everyone and b) it really affects businesses who have to work in the ULEZ. 
  • Golf R Estate DSG? 
  • Passat GTE estate?

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    I'd have to recommend any BMW with a six cylinder engine. The rest is just gravy.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Take a look at the BMW 3 series GT. it’s boot is bigger than the touring and it’s a hatchback. They are cheaper too but essentially the same car. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Subrau - often overlooked but great cars very safe, reliable and well made. The new Impreza is nothing like the old one (they should have renamed it) the XV is a cracking cross over type that is so popular at the moment. 

They really are worth a look at, driving aides are above pretty much anything on the market, their engineering is second to none - no i don't work for them :)
  • Hands Civic estate
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    boogieman said:

If you are in London , Mitsubishi Outliander PHEV. Not an estate but not a huge SUV.  Get the higher spec models and all the kit you want and more is on there.  No tax and probably no conjestion charge.  
    I had a look at Honest John reviews and the Outlander doesn’t look that great in real life. £130 road tax after the first year. It also weighs two tonnes and the real life mpg is nothing like the manufacturer’s claims...mid 60s rather than 145. We get 55 out of the Jag at the moment and that’s a 3 litre v6. The driving experience isn’t great either with a noisy unrefined engine and so-so interior. 
    We looked into the Outlander PHEV in massive detail ............seems ideal BUT they are riddled with problems and complaints
    lots have had fires but most importantly once you decide to accept the plasticky interior fittings and that you have to go top of range to get satnav etc (which is the most non user friendly on the road) the big disappointment is that the mileage and range claims are a big fat lie .........they achieve about 50% of the claimed range under normal use.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MX5? 

;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom