Another what car should I get thread. Now with added NCD.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    edited November 2018
    My wife got over 20% off her 3 series, the discounts should be better now as F31's are on the run out. Check out Coast2Coast or the BMW forums for an indication of what you can get. I would have thought 25K would get something new. BMW and Audi both routinely sell nearly new / ex demo cars for more than the new discounted price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    edited November 2018
    Snap said:

All petrol estates - 3 series, c class, audi a4 - all good, the rest is personal choice.

7k a year, diesel is pointless.

Hybrids - false economy if you do any sort of motorway driving. Its all a myth (the economy argument) as a lot of the time you are lugging a heavy vehicle with a petrol engine. I really had convinced myself that my next car would be a hybrid until I looked into their useless motorway and real world MPG.

You're missing the point with the hybrid. The hybrid doesn't pay the congestion charge so if you drive in the congestion zone most weekdays you stand to save £2500 a year by going hybrid.  Even if you need to deal with 26mpg real world vs 44mpg on a pure petrol, you're still nearly £2k a year better off with the hybrid at 7k miles a year.

If you're not in the congestion zone then I'd go for a Golf R estate every time. I've a Golf estate and it's got a huge boot even though the car is under 18 inches longer than a standard Golf, and the R is well equipped and very quick for being very reasonably priced.
    The nearest competitors for the same fun/practicality mix are all about £7k dearer (S4/C43). You could get a last generation V60 polestar but it's definitely showing its age
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    rlw said:
    I'm glad some one suggested this. Although mine is a 2012 diesel, the space and practicality  is fantastic
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    I looked at the Mondeo. The fuel consumption on the petrol models looks pretty horrendous. 
  • boogieman said:
    I looked at the Mondeo. The fuel consumption on the petrol models looks pretty horrendous. 

Really like my Focus ST, but Ford petrol engines are not the best on Fuel.  Even the 1l we have is not great on fuel.
    The VAG engines are a step above, the 1.5 is supposed to be excellent and a useful 150bhp.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    boogieman said:
    Downsizing engines and upsizing cars does that.   Although all the numbers are bollocks.  It depends on how you drive to a large extent.  I could get 40 mpg out of a GT3 and over 30 from my CLK55AMG if I put my mind to it and regularly see 40+ from the Scirocco R.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1335
    BMW 320d touring is v nice.  I'm surprised @ToneControl had difficulty fitting in. I'm 6'5" and 17st and was able to get a perfect driving position. The X3 I had until yesterday was great around town - the elevated view is useful and the 4wd means you always get home in the snow - load area ok too. Had a new 520d touring delivered yesterday. That is not a car for tight car parks. 
    rlw said:
    boogieman said:
    Downsizing engines and upsizing cars does that.   Although all the numbers are bollocks.  It depends on how you drive to a large extent.  I could get 40 mpg out of a GT3 and over 30 from my CLK55AMG if I put my mind to it and regularly see 40+ from the Scirocco R.
    Ford are claiming 27mpg on the urban cycle for a 1.5 turbo petrol Mondeo. Real world figures would probably put that around 20. The CO2 figure is astronomical compared to others makers too. How is this progress Ford? No wonder you don’t see many Mondeos around these days. 
    edited December 2018
    So, an update. We tried various estates as planned,  and all got ruled out because Mrs B is starting to struggle with dodgy hips and couldn’t get in and out easily. Tbh my back doesn’t take too kindly to getting out of cars with low seats either. Getting our grandson into his child seat was also difficult with our XF, so we’ve realised we really need something with a higher seating position.  

We decided to try a couple of SUV’s although we’d ruled them out previously. And the winner was..... an Audi Q5. My brother in law has got one and we were pretty impressed with it.  Nice driving position, 2 litre turbo petrol with plenty enough poke, really smooth gear changes, very quiet, auto stop start to help with the mpg. We went for the S Line version with tech pack which has a pretty decent level of kit, although I’ll miss the memory seats, heated front screen and blind spot mirrors of the Jag. 

Picking it up tomorrow. Happy bunny. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom