The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• @chrishill901 this is advice given on TGP and I've followed it ever since...

As you know, these are recorded tones, so I treat them as I would a real recorded guitar by placing an EQ with High and Low Cut filters right after the Amp section, in the X block of the Kemper. I bandpass anything below 90-120Hz and anything above 12-8KHz. On top of that, I go into the Output section (hold the Output button in the Kemper) and page up until you find Pure Cabinet (on the top right of the screen). Turn Pure Cabinet ON and set it to taste. I have mine set to 7.5, which brings me closer to the “amp in the room” sound (if that’s what you want). Otherwise, you can simply leave Pure Cabinet at default (I believe it’s set somewhere around 3), but do use the EQ block the way I describe. IMO, it makes the profiles sound MUCH better.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok so I'm now blown away by this thing. Between the 'Definition', 'Clarity' 'Pure Cabinet' and the Studio EQ as a low and high cut I can get pretty much any profile to sound great with my setup without affecting the tone of the actual profile. I have found that Top Jimi profiles sound great out of the box (with a low and high cut) and that guy dials amps exactly how I like them, but I found Michael Britt profiles way too boomy. Now I know how to dial that out I'm obsessed - Ive got an MB Friedman profile that is just out of this world. Think I definitely need to buy everything Michael Britt and Top Jimi do - I need to look into 'Choptones' too as they sound great on recordings! I really can't get enough of this unit. My next stop is effects (I've never been good at dialling effects in)

I have a question about expression pedals. I don't want to spend Mission prices and like the look of the Moog EP3 but with it not having a switch will I have to set one of the switches on my Kemper remote to turn Wah or Whammy on and then use the footswitch? I'm so used to my switchless Morley this will take some getting used to if thats the case!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome, @chrishill901, that's pretty much my experience too! I love this thing. The Choptones profiles are amazing too. I use a Choptones Mesa profile as my main distortion!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    Ok so I'm now blown away by this thing. Between the 'Definition', 'Clarity' 'Pure Cabinet' and the Studio EQ as a low and high cut I can get pretty much any profile to sound great with my setup without affecting the tone of the actual profile. I have found that Top Jimi profiles sound great out of the box (with a low and high cut) and that guy dials amps exactly how I like them, but I found Michael Britt profiles way too boomy. Now I know how to dial that out I'm obsessed - Ive got an MB Friedman profile that is just out of this world. Think I definitely need to buy everything Michael Britt and Top Jimi do - I need to look into 'Choptones' too as they sound great on recordings! I really can't get enough of this unit. My next stop is effects (I've never been good at dialling effects in)

I have a question about expression pedals. I don't want to spend Mission prices and like the look of the Moog EP3 but with it not having a switch will I have to set one of the switches on my Kemper remote to turn Wah or Whammy on and then use the footswitch? I'm so used to my switchless Morley this will take some getting used to if thats the case!
    Nope - you can set the wah to auto-engage at heel or toe :)
  • Awesome, @chrishill901, that's pretty much my experience too! I love this thing. The Choptones profiles are amazing too. I use a Choptones Mesa profile as my main distortion!
    Sounds like I definitely need to investigate Choptones! I'm glad this thread exists; I read through it from the beginning when the Kemper arrived and the tips and profiles mentioned have really transformed the Kemper for me. Quite a lot of people go on about Michael Britt profiles being the best but if I had just bought the Kemper and got a few packs I think I'd have been left a little underwhelmed but the advice here has really helped dial in the best tone I've ever had at home for practice and recording. Need to get it to a jam at some point though.

FarleyUK said:

Nope - you can set the wah to auto-engage at heel or toe :)

That's just amazing, definitely going to pick up a few expression pedals and start experimenting with effects. I've been a guitar straight into the amp guy for so long simply because I don't know how to programme effects but now I've got a stereo rig I think its time to learn.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• but now I've got a stereo rig I think its time to learn.
    Now you've gone stereo, you'll never go back!!! ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @chrishill901 How are you getting on with the Kemper now you've had it a few days?

• hey guys, just wondered if you could help me with a decision, im looking into getting a kemper, what would be recommended between the profiler vs power head? I dont play live as ive only been playing a few months, but have ambitions too in the very long term. I currently have a tiny terror and an orange 212, was thinking of swapping the the tiny for the kemper into my 212 cab. I play pop-punk / metal music so always heavier side of things (hoping the kemper is a better investment than a better head and more pedals)

Also how do you guys view the long term investment of the kemper vs a tube amp? are they likely to have massive hits to their value when a new gen of profilers is released for example, vs a tube amp that will just hold value indefinitely 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    edited November 2018
    infernouk said:
    hey guys, just wondered if you could help me with a decision, im looking into getting a kemper, what would be recommended between the profiler vs power head? I dont play live as ive only been playing a few months, but have ambitions too in the very long term. I currently have a tiny terror and an orange 212, was thinking of swapping the the tiny for the kemper into my 212 cab. I play pop-punk / metal music so always heavier side of things (hoping the kemper is a better investment than a better head and more pedals)

Also how do you guys view the long term investment of the kemper vs a tube amp? are they likely to have massive hits to their value when a new gen of profilers is released for example, vs a tube amp that will just hold value indefinitely 
    Forget about investment; just enjoy the gear...

Indeed, regarding the money, the Kemper is holding its value more than tube amps.

And, buy the powered version.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • infernouk said:
    hey guys, just wondered if you could help me with a decision, im looking into getting a kemper, what would be recommended between the profiler vs power head? I dont play live as ive only been playing a few months, but have ambitions too in the very long term. I currently have a tiny terror and an orange 212, was thinking of swapping the the tiny for the kemper into my 212 cab. I play pop-punk / metal music so always heavier side of things (hoping the kemper is a better investment than a better head and more pedals)

Indeed, regarding the money, the Kemper is holding its value more than tube amps.

Double 'wis' for this man!

• infernouk said:

Unfortunetly i cant forget about investment on items well over £1k, not how im wired, but as long as its doing ok so far hopefully it doesnt become too redundant when they release a 'v2'

Yeah i was thinking the powered covers all the bases. Im looking at buying used, do you guys know the 'going rate' as i seen a lot of variance from £1200 to £1600 (new being £1800)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • infernouk said:
    infernouk said:

Unfortunetly i cant forget about investment on items well over £1k, not how im wired, but as long as its doing ok so far hopefully it doesnt become too redundant when they release a 'v2'

Yeah i was thinking the powered covers all the bases. Im looking at buying used, do you guys know the 'going rate' as i seen a lot of variance from £1200 to £1600 (new being £1800)
    The Kemper sounds astonishing. It will still sound astonishing when Kemper 2 comes out.

Let's not forget that they're busy updating V1 as we speak and show no signs of wanting to mention the idea of a V2 at the moment. It's not their style, but they say there's a lot of life left in this generation yet.

That said, I was like you for a long time too, I know how you feel. Just bite the bullet, you won't regret it. 

• Absolutely no sign of version 2 on the horizon.

Why would they make one ? Selling like hot cakes, and limited supply vs demand.

Relatively, a Kemper at the moment, represents a good return on purchase vs sale vs investment.

But, imho, we are talking about music, passion, fulfilment... not stocks and shares ;)
  • Cheers guys, yeah i get both sides of the debate, just i only buy things when i know what i can get out for should the need present its self. Any recommendations on what i should be paying used?
  • infernouk said:
    Cheers guys, yeah i get both sides of the debate, just i only buy things when i know what i can get out for should the need present its self. Any recommendations on what i should be paying used?
    Still quite rare to get them used.... I ended up buying new because of the closeness of the prices.

Probably £1300-1400 upwards imho
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Best bet might be to look out for a B stock new one.  I got a B stock from Thomann.  I did miss out on one from Andertons before that.  I wanted to check with Kemper that a B stock would still have the full 3 year warranty (it does) but by the time they got back to me the one at Andertons had sold.

If you check the websites of the big dealers daily, eventually a B stock one will come up.
  • crunchman said:
    Best bet might be to look out for a B stock new one.  I got a B stock from Thomann.  I did miss out on one from Andertons before that.  I wanted to check with Kemper that a B stock would still have the full 3 year warranty (it does) but by the time they got back to me the one at Andertons had sold.

If you check the websites of the big dealers daily, eventually a B stock one will come up.
    Good shout
  • crunchman said:

would that just mean theres a scuff on a unit or something?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    B Stock can be previously opened packaging, something returned under distance selling regs etc 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    infernouk said:
    crunchman said:

would that just mean theres a scuff on a unit or something?
    Normally just a customer return.  With the 2 week period you have to return it, some people will buy it and then decide they don't like it.  Some of the default profiles had been deleted off of mine but it was easy enough to do a factory reset.