CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
edited November 2018 in Acoustics
Arrived Friday, can’t put it down!!!

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WOW!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Wow indeed - I love my mid 60's J45, can only imagine how good this would be
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    @peteri Still enjoying that J45 then, good to hear. This one sounds every bit as good as you would expect 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    CMW335 said:
    @peteri Still enjoying that J45 then, good to hear. This one sounds every bit as good as you would expect 
    Yes, I bet the mid-50s one I played was like an orchestra.

Thanks again for the heads up on mine
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I love J45s...

Is that a mahogany top?

Guessing '43, or possibly '44 as it has a trussrod?
    @KKJale ;1943... just realised I missed that from the original post. Mahogany top, changed bridge, back of neck has been buffed and back of headstock refinished but all else original. Unmolested internally. 
    And next to my 64 D28

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    What a beauty! Love that headstock design. HNGD.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Lovely! Well done.
  • CMW335 said:
    And next to my 64 D28

Superb! 

FWIW, I couldn't think of a better duo of guitars for the player who uses a pick; and I imagine both guitars would be superb fingerpicked too (thumb & fingerpicks for the Fahey sound)

What year is the Gibson? 
    Thanks guys

@earwighoney its a 43, I have updated the title now
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335 said:
    Thanks guys

@earwighoney its a 43, I have updated the title now
    Superb.  

For those who might not be aware of Gibson's manufacturing whilst WW2 was taking place, it's a pretty interesting story

http://sheshredsmag.com/the-kalamazoo-gals/
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Lovely guitars both. Many of us have an idea how their modern counterparts might compare but how would you describe the differences, subtle nuances and tone of the J45 and the Martin. Once again, wonderful instruments, enjoy!
    edited November 2018
    @Koa unfortunately I am not technical enough to give you what you want. I can’t articulate bass response, highs, lows, mids etc but from early side by side impressions here’s my attempt to summarise... and I will get laughed off the forum this.... Think Batman vs Superman!!

D28 is Superman. Unassuming, clean cut all American appearance but when played reveals super powers that simply don’t exist anywhere else on the planet (Other than all the other D28s of same spec or even more superior pre war models). It’s brighter, louder and more powerful in the room than the J45.

J45 is Batman the moodier darker and far more interesting of the 2. It can’t compete with the powers of Superman but somehow finds a way to compensate and level the playing field. I think the J45 is the most used acoustic in history for recording hence it’s known as the workhorse and it tells when you play it you swear you can hear the original track booming right out of the soundhole.

Anyway thats all very cringey and corny but maybe will make sense to somebody somewhere lol.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    CMW335 said:
    @Koa unfortunately I am not technical enough to give you what you want. I can’t articulate bass response, highs, lows, mids etc but from early side by side impressions here’s my attempt to summarise... and I will get laughed off the forum this.... Think Batman vs Superman!!

D28 is Superman. Unassuming, clean cut all American appearance but when played reveals super powers that simply don’t exist anywhere else on the planet (Other than all the other D28s of same spec or even more superior pre war models). It’s brighter, louder and more powerful in the room than the J45.

J45 is Batman the moodier darker and far more interesting of the 2. It can’t compete with the powers of Superman but somehow finds a way to compensate and level the playing field. I think the J45 is the most used acoustic in history for recording hence it’s known as the workhorse and it tells when you play it you swear you can hear the original track booming right out of the soundhole.

Anyway thats all very cringey and corny but maybe will make sense to somebody somewhere lol.
    Brilliant, makes sense to me, ....to the Bat Cave......
  • Wow. Gorgeous. Love it !
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    That's a dream guitar for me - I recorded with one eight years ago and didn't want to leave it at the studio! 
    p90fool said:
    That's a dream guitar for me - I recorded with one eight years ago and didn't want to leave it at the studio! 
    @p90fool ;Got a link to that recording?

I was targetting a 50s/early 60s J200 but think with these 2 I have all I could ever want... in fact one would be more than enough.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Just had a look and it's disappeared from YouTube, as has the artist. 

I'll dig out the CD and upload it again if I can get the singer's permission - I also played a 40s Martin on it, but have no idea what model.
    p90fool said:
    Just had a look and it's disappeared from YouTube, as has the artist. 

I'll dig out the CD and upload it again if I can get the singer's permission - I also played a 40s Martin on it, but have no idea what model.
    Cool would be good to hear  =) Did you have a preference between the 2?