Digital mixers and adjusting IEM mix from phone app ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    I am on the very cusp of getting an XR18 
    You should budget for a wireless router too. The inbuilt WiFi isn’t reliable, and doesn’t have the security features which you need in a public environment.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    I am on the very cusp of getting an XR18 
    You should budget for a wireless router too. The inbuilt WiFi isn’t reliable, and doesn’t have the security features which you need in a public environment.
    Thanks for the tip.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    edited October 2018
    We fairly recently got a Mackie DL806 and an Apple Airport router. Works amazingly well - I've set it so that the singer cannot mess anything up as he only has access to his own IEM mix, and myself and the drummer can alter the FoH sound as well as our own IEM mixes. Really amazing bit of kit!

EDIT - just realised I said this earlier. It's been a long day.
  • My band just bought a Behringer XR18 and it's a big step up in audio quality over our previous Presonus Studiolive mixer. The pre-amps are much nicer and the FX is excellent. 

I picked up a Netgear wireless 5ghz router off ebay for around £15 and a nice little Acer laptop for around £50.

We have the mixer and the laptop hardwired to the router via cat5 cable. That way we have the security of the hardwired connection but can also control the mixer via wifi. Getting it all setup was a breeze. Everyone in the band can now mix their own iem's. Connection was rock solid at the last gig and it sounded great out front. Very happy with the purchase.

• Roland said:
    We use the X18 Air and have 5 mono IEM mixes, one for each of us.  This means we also have a rack case of IEM transmitters. Normally I’m against proliferating technology, but it’s been well worth it because we can all hear clearly, and there’s no monitors to feedback through the vocal mics.

Controlling the IEM mixes has been interesting. Three of us use iPads, and the other two have iPhones. In theory we could each do our own mix, and have the desk saves the mix settings for each venue. However only the bass player and I bother to run the Behringer app. The other three call out during soundcheck if they want any changes, which then get saved. You could say that it’s technophobia. I think it’s more that, once set up for personal preferences, there aren’t a lot of changes needed.

This weekend I finally got around to setting the EQ for my IEM channel.
    Is it possible to have stereo mixes for IEMs?
  • Roland said:
    We use the X18 Air and have 5 mono IEM mixes, one for each of us.  This means we also have a rack case of IEM transmitters. Normally I’m against proliferating technology, but it’s been well worth it because we can all hear clearly, and there’s no monitors to feedback through the vocal mics.

Controlling the IEM mixes has been interesting. Three of us use iPads, and the other two have iPhones. In theory we could each do our own mix, and have the desk saves the mix settings for each venue. However only the bass player and I bother to run the Behringer app. The other three call out during soundcheck if they want any changes, which then get saved. You could say that it’s technophobia. I think it’s more that, once set up for personal preferences, there aren’t a lot of changes needed.

This weekend I finally got around to setting the EQ for my IEM channel.
    Is it possible to have stereo mixes for IEMs?
    Yes I believe you can
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    You can have a Stereo IEM  mix by grouping 2 aux sends, so 3 stereo IEM mixs out of 6 sends

A better way is to use a P16M, which is Behringers version of the ME-1 ........much easier to control during a gig and because it's getting a TDM stream via CAT5 your not using aux sends so can have as many stereo IEM mixes as you have P16'S  ... and at £180 ish each they aren't expensive 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24259
    Does anyone have experience of band members controlling their IEM mixes from smartphones with the Behringer?  I've been looking at the specs and it says the WiFi can have four concurrent clients.  Is that right?  
    There's five of us!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited November 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    Does anyone have experience of band members controlling their IEM mixes from smartphones with the Behringer?  I've been looking at the specs and it says the WiFi can have four concurrent clients.  Is that right?  
    There's five of us!
    All 6 aux outs can be controlled by the App by 6 or more different devices
    Lovely stuff.  Thanks very much.
    I’m just about to click “Buy now” on the XR18 and I’ve stopped because I can’t seem to find the iPhone version of the ‘X Air Q’ monitor mix app.  I’ve been frantically Googling but all I’m seeing are posts from people moaning that it doesn’t exist!

Surely that’s not right ?

Half the band have iPhones.
    Thanks mate.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    Have you got an old WiFi router kicking about? The inbuilt WiFi isn't particularly reliable, and it’s security is poor. It’s worth using a separate router. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    Have you got an old WiFi router kicking about? The inbuilt WiFi isn't particularly reliable, and it’s security is poor. It’s worth using a separate router. 
    Yes this is essential if you want a rock solid connection via WiFi. I picked up a Netgear 5G router for about £15 off eBay. It works great. The 5G band is much less populated therefore it’s easy to get a stable connection. With the on board 2.4gb WiFi on the XR18 as soon as you get into any populated venue with the majority of people using smartphones, you are going to struggle. 

We also have a Laptop hardwired to the Netgear router via Ethernet cable for backup in case we lose the WiFi connection. Although so far as I said it’s been rock solid with the 5G router.
    Roland said:
    Yep...  as a WiFi engineer, I have several to choose from!
    Oooh!!  It’s coming today!  It’s coming today!!!  I can’t wait!!
    I’m as excited as Gary Glitter landing a gig as Noo-Noo at a live Teletubbies show!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XR18 you can get the X-AIR Q app select which bus you want and then control only that bus from the app, so you can essential name them all with the band members name and have up to 6 individual monitor mixes controled by the members then the that just leaves the Main LR to you.