Do I need a preamp pedal?

What's Hot
hi folks,
have seen some recent talk on preamp pedals and has got me wondering wether or not I should get/need one. My current rig consists of a p bass and a fender rumble 500 and that’s it. 
Was looking possibly at the Ampeg classic preamp. Not having ever tried one, would this add much sonic difference to my current set up or not. Don’t have a problem with the sound of my set up but just wondering if a preamp pedal would add to the party.
cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Don’t have a problem with the sound of my set up but just wondering if a preamp pedal would add to the party.
    The short answer is not exactly need.

A pre-amp/DI device might help if you need to be able to route your signal to recording equipment or a P.A. In some situations, a pre-amp/DI device could take the place of a regular amplifier altogether.
    Be seeing you.
  • I was thinking more along the lines of it changing my existing amp sound up a bit maybe like a second channel. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I use a tech 21 vt Di in the way you are thinking.  I gig with a Gallien Krueger set fairly clean and have the preamp on the vt set for a light drive I can switch in when necessary.  It has the added advantage of being a good sounding di straight in the pa as back up in case my amp ever had a problem.   
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Yes. Just yes. 
  • Yes. Just yes. 
    Thought that might be your answer!
    any experience with the ampeg pedal?

John_P said:
    I use a tech 21 vt Di in the way you are thinking.  I gig with a Gallien Krueger set fairly clean and have the preamp on the vt set for a light drive I can switch in when necessary.  It has the added advantage of being a good sounding di straight in the pa as back up in case my amp ever had a problem.   
    Just listened to a few clips. Does sound good!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • sparkspark Frets: 22
    I use a P bass straight to my bass head. The sound I get is perfect (for me) so I don't need a preamp. If sound you get is what you are looking for, don't mess with a preamp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Your amp has a preamp in it.
    Chaining preamps together is possible but ultimately pointless unless you are going for a specific effect (like overdriving one and then attenuating the other so you don't overload a DA conversion).

Having a spare preamp can be useful though.
    Yes. Just yes. 

John_P said:
    The SCR-DI? Yes - the Preamp section is extremely good, but the scrambler overdrive is average. If you like a clean Ampeg tone then the SCR is really really good - if you want a more overdriven sound, bypass the scrambler and get a decent overdrive unit. 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    Random question but can anyone think why I am getting notifications from this thread as if I started it?

• CMW335 said:
    Random question but can anyone think why I am getting notifications from this thread as if I started it?

You’ve probably accidentally hit the star next to the thread which gives you notifications.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    Indeed I have
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @bandmaster188 thanks  =)
  • Yes. Just yes. 

John_P said:
    The SCR-DI? Yes - the Preamp section is extremely good, but the scrambler overdrive is average. If you like a clean Ampeg tone then the SCR is really really good - if you want a more overdriven sound, bypass the scrambler and get a decent overdrive unit. 
    Cheers for that. Gonna be heading to Brighton next weekend so will have a look in Gak and try one out. Quite like the look of the tech21 vt bass as suggested above too!

The Swamp City Shakers
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Id question whether you need a preamp pedal with your amp as it has an overdrive section, gain and master volume built in. That said, pedals are fun, so why not but I'm not sure it will give you sounds that aren't already available in the stock unit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    It might give you some slightly different tones - either in front of the amp, or if you run it into the effects return to bypass the amp's own preamp. Or it can be used as a direct-to-PA solution or backup into any available amp which might not sound good by itself, so you can either travel light or keep going if something goes wrong with your amp - although I have no reason to think the Rumble is unreliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Cheers chaps, will have a play and report back!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Managed to borrow a beringher preamp pedal based on the sansamp apparently and found it quite underwhelming to be honest. But it gave me an idea to try my ep booster, which as with my guitar rig, doesn’t do much but it does do something nice. Obviously very minimal eq control but definitely liking what’s going on with the ep into the rumble.
    will hopefully get to try out the ampeg pedal on Saturday.
    anyone else tried an ep into their bass rig?
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • At £17 I'm grabbing the Behringer DI as a backup, and occasional home studio use..  why were you underwhelmed? where you looking for a certain tone??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• At £17 I'm grabbing the Behringer DI as a backup, and occasional home studio use..  why were you underwhelmed? where you looking for a certain tone??
    I think I was probably expecting a bit more of a tonal change from it. Not having tried a preamp pedal before, I didn’t really know what to expect from it. Nothing wrong with it as such. As you said, for 17 quid it’s great as a backup option. 
    The Swamp City Shakers
    You won’t get a lot of tonal change - it does have a decent eq section which can be vital with a passive bass, and you can add a bit of gain - and of course it’s DI so you get some control as a backup before FOH..