Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most Underrated Albums

What's Hot
hairmetalhairmetal Frets: 319
edited November 2018 in Guitar
I was thinking earlier about some criminally underrated albums and would be interested in hearing other peoples favourites. Some bands are generally underrated and have some great albums, other popular bands have some awesome albums that just don't get the attention they probably deserve....

My personal favourite underrated album is Great White's 1992 Psycho City. Guitarist Mark Kendall rips it up with hook soaked guitar awesomeness and amazing blues rock tone, and vocalist Jack Russell ticks all the boxes! This album got totally lost in the post hair grunge years.

Be sure to check out Maybe Someday and Love Is A Lie.... both epics but the whole album is all killer and no filler!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited November 2018
    I'll stick to guitar music as most music I listen to doesn't really fit that criteria anymore, but still...

I'd love to have been a teenager when this came out. Underrated in the sense that Husker Du get overlooked & overshadowed by similar artists/artists they influenced.

"Terms of Psychic Warfare" would make it onto any top 50/top 100 playlist I'd make.

Absolute banger of a tune.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Duran Duran - Thank You.

Described as 'the worst album ever made' - mostly by music journalists who thought they were clever by having a go at Duran Duran, I think. Although it's not all brilliant there are some very good tracks on it, and it's nowhere near even the worst album Duran Duran have made, or the worst covers album I can think of...

So while it might not be a great album it may be the most underrated .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Stone Roses: Second Coming

https://youtu.be/WKRQZrJJJCM

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    JerkMoans said:

Yes!!

Your Star Will Shine and Tightrope are two of my favourite ever songs, and back then I was pretty much only listening to heavy metal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-14GN_cy1k

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IyG4V2DBW9w
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Yes Yes Yes by Elsinore. Less underrated, more completely unheard of.

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:

Thats the only album i listened to and never got into them before, great album
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Great thread idea OP, there are a couple above I’m definitely going to check out while I work tomorrow...

For me its Kaki King’s ‘Dreaming of Revenge’. Half acoustic, half electric, half instrumental, half traditional ‘pop’/indie, fragile vocals (the part that the journos tens to focus on - they thought of them as weak - I think it’s a real shame kaki hasn’t sung on the past couple of records) and some really heartfelt lyrics. Plus some really tasteful tones and a generous splash of EBow. 

My fav tune on the record “Can Anyone Who Has Heard This Mysic Really Be A Bad Person?” Is below but particularly interesting are the short vignettes about recording the album that you can find on YouTube (one here to get you started!)
    https://youtu.be/5TCDY9lJREg

https://youtu.be/wnLJ2xdnf7k

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    ICBM said:
    Duran Duran - Thank You.

Described as 'the worst album ever made' - mostly by music journalists who thought they were clever by having a go at Duran Duran, I think. Although it's not all brilliant there are some very good tracks on it, and it's nowhere near even the worst album Duran Duran have made, or the worst covers album I can think of...

I second this. I would actually say that Duran Duran are underrated as a ‘serious’ band all told. But the musicianship is always superb and the songwriting is often fantastic.
    And on that note I shall say - Arcadia - So Red The Rose. A one off album by Simon LeBon, Nick Rhodes and Roger Taylor which featured such guest artists as Grace Jones, Sting, David Gilmour and Carlos Alomar. A brilliant album and one of the best records of the 80s imo - which is generally a decade I avoid like the plague (even when it was happening around me.)
  • ICBM said:
    Duran Duran - Thank You.

Worst ever album according to Q magazine in 2006. Worse then Crazy Hits by Crazy Frog according to that list. 

There is a very small group of us who see Bernie Torme as one of the overlooked greats in rock. Pilloried by the music press and, let’s face it, made some dodgy records at times and played some shambolic gigs. However, on a good day Bernie offered up rock wisdom and punk attitude in a loud package. So I’ll suggest his 1982 solo debut Turn Out the Lights. 

https://youtu.be/4nO2rxBN70Y

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've listened to The Buggles - The Age Of Plastic a couple of times recently and it's really quite good.

A great album from the late 70s is 1994: (I buoght it at Yanks Records in Manchester in the 80s).

One of my favourites is Billy Squier, who never really made it in the UK.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Neu! 1st album.
    Q magazine worst magazine ever. Anybody remember the 5 star review they gave Be Here Now by Oasis?
    My memory may be hazy but I'm convinced they reviewed it without actually listening to it first!
  • prowla said:
    I've listened to The Buggles - The Age Of Plastic a couple of times recently and it's really quite good.

A great album from the late 70s is 1994: (I buoght it at Yanks Records in Manchester in the 80s).

One of my favourites is Billy Squier, who never really made it in the UK.

I had that 1994 album, can’t remember a single thing about how it sounded! I liked the cover though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    JerkMoans said:

100%. Driving South is a killer riff.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957

For me its Kaki King’s ‘Dreaming of Revenge’. Half acoustic, half electric, half instrumental, half traditional ‘pop’/indie, fragile vocals (the part that the journos tens to focus on - they thought of them as weak - I think it’s a real shame kaki hasn’t sung on the past couple of records) and some really heartfelt lyrics. Plus some really tasteful tones and a generous splash of EBow.

That’s a great album. I like Until We Felt Red as well - I tried to like the first couple of purely instrumental albums but I found them almost unlistenable.

ICBM said:

Duran Duran - Thank You
    Worst ever album according to Q magazine in 2006. Worse then Crazy Hits by Crazy Frog according to that list.
    Exactly - that list is complete bollocks.

It’s an interesting album. Some of the tracks misfire a bit, but there are some real gems - in particular Perfect Day, The Crystal Ship and Watching The Detectives.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Tenebrous said:
    JerkMoans said:

100%. Driving South is a killer riff.
    It's a great record but it was still disappointing after their 1st one. At the time they were my second favourite band after LZ so this was right up my street. There's also an awkward moment where the song Tears slowly morphs into Stairway to Heaven. Plus there's a lot of soloing going on.

Usually when we do this thread I mention Warrior Soul and Last Decade Dead Century. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    hairmetal said:
    I was thinking earlier about some criminally underrated albums and would be interested in hearing other peoples favourites. Some bands are generally underrated and have some great albums, other popular bands have some awesome albums that just don't get the attention they probably deserve....

My personal favourite underrated album is Great White's 1992 Psycho City. Guitarist Mark Kendall rips it up with hook soaked guitar awesomeness and amazing blues rock tone, and vocalist Jack Russell ticks all the boxes! This album got totally lost in the post hair grunge years.

Be sure to check out Maybe Someday and Love Is A Lie.... both epics but the whole album is all killer and no filler!

nice call. Mark Kendall is one of my favourite guitar players.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    ICBM said:
    Duran Duran - Thank You.

Probably the sheer horror of the idea of them covering Public Enemy terrified everyone. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Chinese Democracy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Philly_Q said:
    Chinese Democracy.
    True story. Its a very good, if odd record.
    Ignore the fact that its a follow up to one of the greatest rock albums of all time it is really good.