Don't laugh but i saw Rick last night

What's Hot
No i don't mean Wakeman , but Astley !!!

Took the Mrs to see Rick Astley last night and had to admit he was really good. He seems to know his music (Camel,Floyd,Yes) and not a bad guitar player (Blue Strat) too.

Hate to say this i was really impressed

“Ken sent me.”
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Reminds me of when a girlfriend insisted I go see Brian Adams with her. Left with way more
    respect than when I arrived!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    Reminds me of when a girlfriend insisted I go see Brian Adams with her. Left with way more
    He was really good with the Audience, taking the piss out of himself (F*** off Rick) Seems to be a top bloke 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I saw him a couple of years ago.  He was playing locally to some friends of mine, they asked if I wanted to go and I said yes just to confound their expectations.  It was a bit weird - a concert "package" with a sit-down meal...

But I was also impressed - good singer, good band, good stage banter.  The "singing tea boy" image which Stock Aitken & Waterman gave him was nonsense.  He also plays drums in a rock covers band, there are videos on YouTube.

At the show I went to there were two other "80s Legends" supporting - Toyah and Paul Young.  Both utterly dreadful.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    TheMarlin said:

Reckless is a great album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    edited November 2018
    proggy said:
    TheMarlin said:

I went on a driving holiday in the USA and this was one of the things playing on the radio.

That and Crowded House Don't Dream Its Over are my theme tunes from that trip.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Colour me disappointed...

• proggy said:
    TheMarlin said:

I was 16 when that came out and I plyed it over and over again and it's one of my favourite albums ever. There's not a duff track on it and some excellent guitar playing. Keith Scott is a fantastical musical player; no flash but what he plays fits the songs perfectly.
    prowla said:
    proggy said:
    TheMarlin said:

I went on a driving holiday in the USA and this was one of the things playing on the radio.

That and Crowded House Don't Dream Its Over are my theme tunes from that trip.

He's got such  a great voice.

Thanks for posting that.
    proggy said:
    TheMarlin said:

I was 16 when that came out and I plyed it over and over again and it's one of my favourite albums ever. There's not a duff track on it and some excellent guitar playing. Keith Scott is a fantastical musical player; no flash but what he plays fits the songs perfectly.
    I agree, every track's a corker.

Rumours is another album that doesn't have a single bad track on it.

• Haven’t seen the show but an old friend is doing front of house sound. Everything she posts suggests it’s awesome. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Can you expand on the Floyd, Yes and Camel references. Did he do a 70s prog rock medley or something? Or did he list his favourite albums during some onstage banter? He was on G. Norton t’other week. Seemed like a decent bloke and he can certainly sing.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Philly_Q said:

Brilliant.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    ^^ love it.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Are you ever gonna give him up?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    Can you expand on the Floyd, Yes and Camel references. Did he do a 70s prog rock medley or something? Or did he list his favourite albums during some onstage banter? He was on G. Norton t’other week. Seemed like a decent bloke and he can certainly sing.
    When he was younger he went to see Camel live on stage and grew up listening to yes, Fleetwood,Floyd and such. Think he has written a song about it called good old days. He has gone up in my books.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • He took the piss out of the x factor by singing like a dalek, so funny  =)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Seems to be having a blast with the Foo Fighters: