Huss & Dalton

What's Hot
 Is there anyone on here with experience of Huss & Dalton acoustics? I’d always assumed they were an upgrade on the large factory makers like Martin and Taylor, but some web searches seem to contradict that with a general suggestion that they're essentially much the same quality wise, and with a House tone closer to the modern Taylor thing.

As I’m more in the trad Martin camp at the moment I’m interested to know if that’s true.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    I read an interview in Fretboard Journal where they said their starting goal was to create a guitar for someone who wanted Collings build quality and attention to detail but Martin sound. The H&D dreads I've seen and heard played at bluegrass festivals seem to go along with that...certainly never occurred to me that they sounded Taylor-esque in any way, but I've never spent any time with one personally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
     Is there anyone on here with experience of Huss & Dalton acoustics? I’d always assumed they were an upgrade on the large factory makers like Martin and Taylor, but some web searches seem to contradict that with a general suggestion that they're essentially much the same quality wise, and with a House tone closer to the modern Taylor thing.
    I think that's a fair assessment. The two I've played have been well-made, but much too bland and modern sounding compared to the more traditional appearance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting - thanks @ICBM and @Lewy ;
    I think I’ll pass on the one I was looking at - can’t try before buying - and keep looking.

The ones I’d been looking at are smaller bodied than a dread which might have an impact. 

• I've had two H&D guitars. They were both good, especially the smaller bodied 00 12 fret which had a wide neck but was very comfortable and one of the easiest playing guitars I've owned.
  • I've had two H&D guitars. They were both good, especially the smaller bodied 00 12 fret which had a wide neck but was very comfortable and one of the easiest playing guitars I've owned.
    I thought their 00's sound superb. 

Eddiesguitars on YT have some very nice sounding 00-14's 

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    I played one a couple of months ago at Oasis Music Ringwood...very nice guitar but didn't leave much of an impression TBH, no doubting the quality of the build though..it was a 00
  • mgaw said:
    I played one a couple of months ago at Oasis Music Ringwood...very nice guitar but didn't leave much of an impression TBH, no doubting the quality of the build though..it was a 00
    Interesting. I played a Huss & Dalton OM at Oasis a couple of years ago - when I was looking for an OM-sized guitar. I absolutely loved it and thought it played nicely and sang out in the shop. I couldn't afford it. I also played several Atkins that time - all of which I could afford and were lovely - including an OM that couldn't hit quite the same spot the H&D did and an Atkin L-1 I also rather liked that may even be the very same one @fretfinder is selling (he's in Wiltshire, so it's possible, although I've no idea when he bought his or from where...). 

I didn't buy the Atkin, though - I had more guitars to try elsewhere including the Brook Taw I ended up buying. 

But I thought the Huss & Dalton OM was a lovely thing - and I don't like the sound from Collings or Taylors much - a bit sterile compared to the Atkin, Brook or H&D guitars I've played. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I played a crossroads DS against a Gibson original jumbo re issue today. Roughly the same price. The H&D blew the Gibson away. Better mid range punch better built better bass. 
    But does sound very modern. Not what I expected going by it’s apearence. 

• Thanks for the comments. Mixed opinions all round, it seems, which I guess is to be expected!