Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most Underrated Albums

What's Hot

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    I Just Can't Stop It - The Beat

Quite possibly one of the greatest debut albums ever and underrated in the whole Two Tone scene of the late 70's/early 80's.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8018
    edited November 2018
    Ultravox - Systems of Romance.

Great spiky guitar from Robin Simon.

Love this live version of Slow Motion:

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    edited November 2018

There is a very small group of us who see Bernie Torme as one of the overlooked greats in rock. Pilloried by the music press and, let’s face it, made some dodgy records at times and played some shambolic gigs. However, on a good day Bernie offered up rock wisdom and punk attitude in a loud package. So I’ll suggest his 1982 solo debut Turn Out the Lights. 

https://youtu.be/4nO2rxBN70Y

Saw Bernie a couple of times with the Gillan band and he was superb. To my shame never bothered to listen to any of his music since. But agree, very underrated guy with a great stage presence. Will have to try to find time to catch some of his stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    On The Boards - Taste. I don't think Rory made a better album and it just snorts from start to finish.

All Right All Night - Motel Kings. A very underrated band. The fact that I'm in the audience for some bits of it is pure coincidence.

Led Zeppelin. People tend to gravitate towards Physical Graffiti or the fourth album, but this is my favourite. The opening to Good Times Bad Times still turns my head around.
    Totally on the money re: Taste - what an album! Psychedelic pop, blues, folk, jazz and hard rock all in one great album. With bloody good sax playing from Rory too...
  • mikem8634 said:
    From the Lion's Mouth - The Sound
    Strange Times - The Chameleons
    The Small Price of a Bicycle - The Icicle Works
    Saw The Sound loads of times back in the day. Don't really listen to them anymore - a bit clumpy for me these days
  • Re Husker Du from page one of this thread. I know everyone says this, but it's true - the records are desperately in need of bass and a properly recorded drum kit. I know some folks think the tinny sound has a charm of it's own but I'm convinced they sound a million times better  with a proper mix. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Shrews said:

Quite possibly one of the greatest debut albums ever and underrated in the whole Two Tone scene of the late 70's/early 80's.  

Almost a Greatest Hits all by itself. 

I’ve seen both versions of The Beat in the last couple of years ( Dave’s and Roger’s) and both great. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Kamakiriad by Donald Fagen, all the attention goes to The Nightfly (also great of course) but Kamakiriad for me is a belter. 

Symphony or Damn - Terrance Trent Derby, released after he had his time at the top of the charts, but this is an amazing album.

As a sample, how’s this for a perfect pop song, with insainly good lyrical phrasing.

https://youtu.be/aYqfAyKtPsc
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    The Wildhearts - Either Earth Vs, or PHUQ. Great hooks and a bunch of things that shouldn't work, but do.
  • gringopig said:
    Re Husker Du from page one of this thread. I know everyone says this, but it's true - the records are desperately in need of bass and a properly recorded drum kit. I know some folks think the tinny sound has a charm of it's own but I'm convinced they sound a million times better  with a proper mix. 
    It's true but you can't go back and change it. The records had a sound to them and I even liked the sound on 'Warehouse'. It sort of focused the attention on the songs themselves.
    I was a huge Husker Du fan and I like both Mould and Hart's solo stuff. So here's an absolute classic that no-one ever heard.

Yeah the sound on Warehouse is just about acceptable but still too lo-fi for me. Great songs though. Ice Cold Ice! 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    edited November 2018
    The Music's first album is pretty darn rad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Shrews said:

I'm digging this. I'll sit down & give it a proper listen at some point.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    DesVegas said:
    The Music's first album is pretty darn rad.
    Wisdom awarded I loved that album 
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited November 2018
    Tenebrous said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Stone Roses: Second Coming

https://youtu.be/WKRQZrJJJCM

100%. Driving South is a killer riff.
    It's a great record but it was still disappointing after their 1st one. At the time they were my second favourite band after LZ so this was right up my street. There's also an awkward moment where the song Tears slowly morphs into Stairway to Heaven. Plus there's a lot of soloing going on.

Usually when we do this thread I mention Warrior Soul and Last Decade Dead Century. 
    Blimey, I thought I was literally the only person in the UK that bought that Warrior Soul album.
    Fantastic songs throughout..Downtown and Charlie's Out of Prison always used to make me bounce around my room as a kid...actually  they probably would now
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    edited November 2018
    The Flys - Waikiki Beach Refugees (1979)

• kinkin Frets: 1015
    @EricTheWeary , absolutely  , Bernie Torme , I would give almost anything to be able to play  the solo from 
    "if you believe me"

• Rain Parade - Emergency Third Rail Power Trip (1983)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited November 2018
    The The - Mind Bomb.

(ive been trying to post a picture but its not working (for me))

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Creation - We Are Paintermen (1967)