Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most Underrated Albums

What's Hot

Comments

• Everyone picks Who's Next as the best, but My Generation, the debut, is often overlooked. My favourite guitar sound on record...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    edited November 2018

Pentangle - Basket of Light. Bert Jansch and John Renbourn! (1969)

• The Byrds - Dr Byrds and Mr Hyde (1969). Never mentioned as a great Byrds album but it's killer. Clarence White and Roger McGuinn!

• The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight (1980)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Last one tonight pop pickers!  Television's Marquee Moon is well known, but the Tom Verlaine solo albums are forgotten. 

Here's Dreamtime from 1980. One for Jazzmaster lovers!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Depends on the definition of underrated. I don't think there are any Camel albums which are underrated by Camel fans, but they are all probably underrated by the general music-buying public.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    cbilly22 said:
    mudslide73 said:

Usually when we do this thread I mention Warrior Soul and Last Decade Dead Century. 
    Blimey, I thought I was literally the only person in the UK that bought that Warrior Soul album.
    Fantastic songs throughout..Downtown and Charlie's Out of Prison always used to make me bounce around my room as a kid...actually  they probably would now

<raises hand>
       Another one here!

Got into Warrior Soul after seeing them support Metallica in Glasgow (1990! crikey!)

Last Decade Dead Century and Drugs, God and The New Republic were great albums - never got any of the albums after those though as I moved into an alt/indie phase ...

Speaking of which, my underrated album(s) would be two from that alt/indie phase:

Dark Star - Twenty Twenty Sound

https://youtu.be/GVNCgOBhjHk?t=527

8 Storey Window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZaF4ac04Q

Two fantastic albums - never met anyone else that had heard of them.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    prowla said:
    I've listened to The Buggles - The Age Of Plastic a couple of times recently and it's really quite good.

A great album from the late 70s is 1994: (I buoght it at Yanks Records in Manchester in the 80s).

One of my favourites is Billy Squier, who never really made it in the UK.

I had that 1994 album, can’t remember a single thing about how it sounded! I liked the cover though. 
    Click on the link. Karen Lawrence is a rather good singer.

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader

There is a very small group of us who see Bernie Torme as one of the overlooked greats in rock. Pilloried by the music press and, let’s face it, made some dodgy records at times and played some shambolic gigs. However, on a good day Bernie offered up rock wisdom and punk attitude in a loud package. So I’ll suggest his 1982 solo debut Turn Out the Lights. 

https://youtu.be/4nO2rxBN70Y

I booked Bernie for Music Live because I loved Back To Babylon as a teen. Glad to say he was a nice fella too. I was listening to the Dead Rock Stars Podcast (its very funny) and they reckoned that he was the best post RR guitarist Ozzy has ever had.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • Arjailer said:
    cbilly22 said:
    mudslide73 said:

Usually when we do this thread I mention Warrior Soul and Last Decade Dead Century. 
    Blimey, I thought I was literally the only person in the UK that bought that Warrior Soul album.
    Fantastic songs throughout..Downtown and Charlie's Out of Prison always used to make me bounce around my room as a kid...actually  they probably would now

<raises hand>
       Another one here!

Got into Warrior Soul after seeing them support Metallica in Glasgow (1990! crikey!)

Last Decade Dead Century and Drugs, God and The New Republic were great albums - never got any of the albums after those though as I moved into an alt/indie phase ...

Speaking of which, my underrated album(s) would be two from that alt/indie phase:

Dark Star - Twenty Twenty Sound

https://youtu.be/GVNCgOBhjHk?t=527

8 Storey Window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZaF4ac04Q

Two fantastic albums - never met anyone else that had heard of them.
    I have - Dark Star was Terry Bickers wasn't it? Levitation were a terrific band but the album had a terrible production. 
  • Mine would be Gretchen Goes To Nebraska by King's X. Beatles/Gospel harmony vocals with drop D riffage. Name checked by so many bands but didnt get to the next level. Second would be the debut by Dan Reed Network - should have been huge!

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229

America's Least Wanted by Ugly Kid Joe.

Silly,dumb ass metal but utterly brilliant.

Mostly known for Everything About You from the Wayne's World soundtrack but every other track on the album is killer.One of my favourite albums to this day.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    DaveB666 said:
    Mine would be Gretchen Goes To Nebraska by King's X. Beatles/Gospel harmony vocals with drop D riffage. Name checked by so many bands but didnt get to the next level. Second would be the debut by Dan Reed Network - should have been huge!

I much preferred Slam and The Heat to DRN's debut, which sounded a bit too soft to my ears back then.

Love the early kings x
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Diamond Head- Canterbury

Took the album back three times, because it kept jumping and then heard later it was an issue with the pressing.

Still think the song  'Out of phase' is brilliant and would have loved to hear what they would have done next.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    zepp76 said:
    4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More! I think is a great album and definitely underrated imho.
    Very good call my friend.

Somebody mentioned Stone Roses 'Second Coming'. I wanted to like this album but it does nothing for me. Still have the CD, it may end up in a charity shop after the next clear out.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Levitation’s Need For Not. Blistering.

https://youtu.be/bYIDvlvjTX8
  • Axe Victim - Be Bop Deluxe 
    My intorduction to Be Bop Deluxe back in 1974.  Great album and in Bill Nelson, probably the best guitarist these islands has ever produced

• Hollywood Dream - Thunderclap Newman
    An eclectic album combining Andy Newmans hony tonk piano, Speedy Keens falsetto vocals and a young Jimmy McCulloch playing some blazing solos.  Sounds an unlikely mix, but Keen was also an excellent songwriter and most of the tracks work superbly

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Arjailer said:
    cbilly22 said:
    mudslide73 said:

<raises hand>
       Another one here!

You really should get Salutations from the Ghetto Nation.  It is fucking amazing.

I think Kory Clarke copped out by saying Warrior Soul had "done their job" when the Republicans lost the 1992 US election.  He used it as an excuse to take too many drugs and make shit music.

More bands from that period who've sort of vanished into history... Galactic Cowboys, Saigon Kick, Living Colour, Helmet, King's X (already mentioned).  They weren't exactly metal, they were doing something new and intelligent.  Should've been huge.
  • mikem8634 said:
    From the Lion's Mouth - The Sound
    Strange Times - The Chameleons
    The Small Price of a Bicycle - The Icicle Works
    Have a Wiz for those choices! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/