Anybody tried an Orange TH30 with a bass?

Anybody tried a TH30 with a bass? With an appropriate cabinet obviously.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Yes.

Sounds great.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited November 2018
    @jpfamps how loud is it? Looking a backup for my Sound City 50+ (volume during gigs is normally between 4 and 6). How much life from the EL84s? I had a Peavey Royal that had to have the output valve replaced annually under practise conditions.

I have no need for my JMP MKII 100w and put it up for trade on Facebook. One guy is interested in a swap for the Orange. How much cash should he put on top for me?

I'd been looking to exchange it for a 50w Marshall though. A Plexi Reissue was available a few weeks Softbank had my heart on, but I think I may not get much more interest for my 100w.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    It was pretty loud through the cab I was using (4 x 12), and would in my opinion have been loud enough to gig with in a pub, as long as you didn't want a super clean bass sound.

Most EL84 amps run the valve very hot, so they will generally need changing more frequently that other types of valve.

Orange tend to run the EL84s more conservatively that other makers.

Although I have not done a direct comparison, I would say the Sound City would be louder; an I have gigged a Sound City 50+ on bass.

No idea on values; I would check eBay sold prices.
  • I really like the headroom on the Sound City. Not sure I want to drive the amp that hard for covers though. The band is quite conservative.