Replacement Jazz Bass hum cancelling pickups?

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
edited November 2018 in Bass
My favoured bass type has been Jazz Basses for ages, feel, tone etc. But, is there a great sounding replacement set of Jazz style pickups that aren't subseptible to buzz and hum that you're happy to recommend?

Cheers, C
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Seymour Duncan Jazz Stacks, either the Classic or the Hot depending on whether you want a bit more output.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    JCA2550 said:
    is there a great sounding replacement set of Jazz style pickups that aren't subseptible to buzz and hum that you're happy to recommend?
    Yes but they are active and, hence, do not sound exactly like a traditional Fender.
    Be seeing you.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    edited November 2018
    A little more output certainly wouldn't hurt and I don't have a problem with active pickups, providing there's room in the cavity, but, the main thing I'm searching for is hum-cancellation or virtual noiselessness while keeping the character and  that Jazz Bass slightly vocal tone and interaction between the 2 pickups.

Where there, are there any Lace Sensor or Fender Noiseless type pick ups produced for Fender style basses I wonder?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    JCA2550 said:
    Where there, are there any Lace Sensor or Fender Noiseless type pick ups produced for Fender style basses I wonder?
    Yes and yes.

IMO, neither the Lace Sensor nor any of the Fender N series of J Bass pickups perfectly recreates the sound of the vintage single coils.

I can not comment on the Fender Samarium Colbalt pickups. Some people rate them very highly.

Bartolini 9J pickups are noise-cancelling but do that Bart "enhanced low end and mids" thing. 

DiMarzio Model J is another side by side coils design. These always seem to lack the necessary treble detail required for the "slightly vocal" tone you described. I understand how they appeal to plectrum style players but I would not want them myself.

DiMarzio Area J pickups ought to come closer to the mark.
    Be seeing you.