Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SORTED - OD AND DISTORTION RECOMMENDATIONS

What's Hot
CastroCastro Frets: 509
edited November 2018 in FX
Hi all

I have just taken delivery of a Paul Cochrane Tim in order to cover my boost and 'low gain/touch of hair' needs. My amp is a Morgan AC20 head + 1x12 cab and I'm a Tele/Strat man.

My overall aim is to have clean boost plus three levels of dirt. With Tim taking care of boost and dirt no.1 what recommendations would you have for no.2 and no.3 - medium overdrive plus fat/creamy distortion for solo work?

I don't need 'metal' levels of gain and have always loved the solo tones of Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Landau, Angus and Lifeson. 

I'd consider two separate pedals or a combined one. I like the idea of the Pettyjohn Pettydrive V2.

Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

Any thoughts on these: VFE Alpha Dog V2, Red Witch Famulus, Pettyjohn Petty Drive V2; JHS Angry Charlie; Bearfoot EGDM.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    Bad monkey & a Rat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • This will very quickly turn into a large selection of people just recommending their favourite pedals so I’ll just suggest that mine is Chase Bliss Brothers. 

What’s your budget?
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 509
    Thanks so far people.

Budget will be dictated by the pedal I think. I'm happy to invest a couple of hundred if it's worthwhile.
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    Thorpy Peacekeeper or Team Medic...or both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Slimbert ;
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I agree that it'll just end up people recommending their favourite stuff.

I do agree with @JD50 that a RAT or RAT based pedal can be a really versatile option, especially if you can switch in LED clipping.

Muff based pedals are also good for Gilmour type tones, although I don't think as versatile for the other tones you list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Matt_McG

I'm happy for people to state their faves. 

My current shortlist includes the VFE Alpha Dog V2 which is a RAT/Big Muff type pedal so your comments re-inforce that the VFE is a possibility.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Saw this recently from Sinvertek and thought pretty neat concept - with only one foootswitch it actually gives you three levels of switchable gain in the one pedal.

And GAS inducing Pete demo....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    edited November 2018
    I've just picked up one of these from Andertons thanks to them having a £100 savinghttps://www.andertons.co.uk/xotic-ac-plus-booster-pedal

Xotic AC Plus Booster: two pedals on one providing fantastic classic rocks tones. I play through a Tubemeister 36 so the dirt channels are fairly modern in their voicing so this is perfect for getting more 'traditional' tones.
    Woah @abw1989 that's a bargain.
  • If you're looking at RAT derivatives, consider the ARC Soothsayer.  Switchable clipping (Turbo, RAT 2, asymmetrical), switchable gain range (high / low), loads of output and bottom end.  All the switching is internal though, so if you like to tweak frequently, it may not be the most convenient for you.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    @Castro definitely! I think they are being discontinued so Andertons have bulk bought the remaining stock to sell off cheap.

Word of warning.. When you first try it out the box, use a 9V power supply. I assumed the supplied 9V battery would be okay but it turns out it was virtually flat leading to a tone some what similar to a choir of dying hamsters serenading an armada of strangled cats!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited November 2018
    2cents: Rats are awful & BM style pedals need finesse and pre/post eq.

For Angus get a Thorpy Gunshot

For smooth Gilmour lead tones get a Buffalo TD-X and roll the treble off. If you like the Wall solos get a Skreddy Lunar Module and a good rotary pedal.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Boss SD-2.

Really.

If you need both sounds on the fly, a remote footswitch plugged in will do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Lunar Module is a good shout, but, like a Muff, it's quite a specific type of tone, rather than a generic 'lead' sound. I have a clone I built from the Fuzzdog kit, and I really like it, though.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    Angus? Buy a Weehbo JCM, which can do JTM, JMP, JCM and also has a solo boost

• steersteer Frets: 1159
    A Rat and another Rat. 
  • Boss Angry Driver might be an option  - BD2 and JHS Angry Charlie in 1 with some versatile stacking options ie A into B ; B into A or parallel  ;  also it’s a  std single pedal width ..  

other gain options might be Carl Martin Plexitone ; Way Huge Green Rhino for TS mid hump with some tone control options ( definitely beefs up a strat ) into SRV territory.  A Rat or similar for gnarlier tones, 

consider the stacking  options of the Tim into another pedal before you buy a third as maybe 1+ 1 does actually = 3 ?  or add a compressor or eq to vary flavour character  of hair to od to dis ?

good luck btw  
  • I've never really got on with Rats, for me the MXR Distortion+ is much better for that sort of thing. My own personal favourite take on the Dist+ circuit is the EQD Grey Channel but thats about three times the price of just buying the MXR one. 

If we're just naming our favourite drives then the EQD Grey Channel has been my main pedal for ages but this week I got a Way Huge Red Llama and its amazing. I'll be shoehorning both of them onto my board somehow.