Noob recording question (Logic/Audio routing related)

I record a podcast regularly, have a pretty standard 2 input audio interface which is fine for the 2 of us that record. However, what I want to do is get a third person in via Skype (or some other VOIP/internet calling software) and have that come into Logic alongside the 2 separate tracks from my audio interface.

Is there an easy way to do this? I remember YEARS ago I had some software that could capture system audio and route it to Logic but can't seem to find anything like this now. 

How would you do it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    edited November 2018

I had something which was from the Cycling 73 stable, Soundflower or something like that? I don't think it works/is supported now, but Audio Hijack does something very similar. I think you can capture audio from a specific app and not just general system audio, which seems to be what you're after.

• I've used Soundflower for this fairly recently so probably should work.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Without spending vast amounts of money, connect all three signal sources to an analogue mixer. Send the combined speech to the computer via your existing in/out box.

Three simultaneous signal sources warrants three discrete inputs and recording channels. That way, you can post-edit out any coughs, sneezes or duck the volume of one track when two persons speak over each other. 

I remember YEARS ago I had some software that could capture system audio and route it to Logic but can't seem to find anything like this now. 
    Logic System Preferences requires you to select between either the built-in audio engine or your external in/out device. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Without spending vast amounts of money, connect all three signal sources to an analogue mixer. Send the combined speech to the computer via your existing in/out box.

Three simultaneous signal sources warrants three discrete inputs and recording channels. That way, you can post-edit out any coughs, sneezes or duck the volume of one track when two persons speak over each other. 

I remember YEARS ago I had some software that could capture system audio and route it to Logic but can't seem to find anything like this now. 
    Logic System Preferences requires you to select between either the built-in audio engine or your external in/out device. 
    Maybe I'm being a moron but I don't follow what you are recommending me to do. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2621
    edited November 2018
    Although I don't have the time to explain this right now, so it's going to be more gibberish (but might be useful information at a late point) - in Audio Midi Setup (in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder), if you go to Show Audio Devices under the Windows menu, then click the plus sign at the bottom left hand side you can create what it calls an Aggregate Device, which basically combines two or more devices you have connected into a single device that you can then select in the Audio preferences in Logic - for example, I've created a device called Scarlix which combines my Scarlett interface with my Helix LT, and allows me to use the latter as an input while monitoring on the former (the inputs of the Scarlett and the outputs of the Helix are also available).  

As I say, that won't make any sense to you right now, but if it gets to the point where you want to combine the inputs of your audio interface with something else (for example Soundflower) that's probably the place to look. I don't know off the top of my head whether it works with virtual devices (like Soundflower or Audio Capture) but it would be worth a try. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited November 2018

I had something which was from the Cycling 73 stable, Soundflower or something like that?

Close.

Cycling '74... they make Max MSP too.
  • Although I don't have the time to explain this right now, so it's going to be more gibberish (but might be useful information at a late point) - in Audio Midi Setup (in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder), if you go to Show Audio Devices under the Windows menu, then click the plus sign at the bottom left hand side you can create what it calls an Aggregate Device, which basically combines two or more devices you have connected into a single device that you can then select in the Audio preferences in Logic - for example, I've created a device called Scarlix which combines my Scarlett interface with my Helix LT, and allows me to use the latter as an input while monitoring on the former (the inputs of the Scarlett and the outputs of the Helix are also available).  

As I say, that won't make any sense to you right now, but if it gets to the point where you want to combine the inputs of your audio interface with something else (for example Soundflower) that's probably the place to look. I don't know off the top of my head whether it works with virtual devices (like Soundflower or Audio Capture) but it would be worth a try. 
    I don't believe Logic runs under Windows or Linux. MacOS only. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    I don't believe Logic runs under Windows or Linux. MacOS only. 
    Not since Apple bought control of Emagic.
    Be seeing you.
  • Yes, sorry, it's the Window menu, in between View and Help. I added the stray "s" by accident. 
  • I don't believe Logic runs under Windows or Linux. MacOS only. 
    Not since Apple bought control of Emagic.
    Really? Can you expand on that, please? My Google skills aren't finding anything that makes sense to me. 

Yes, sorry, it's the Window menu, in between View and Help. I added the stray "s" by accident. 
    Thanks. That looks interesting. I'll have a look later when I've got the time to play.