Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar shops that give discount.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 910
On the market for either a Fender professional tele or a Fender Original 50’s tele. My localish guitar shop is Dawson’s who won’t budge at all on their prices. Can anybody recommend me a shop that would give me some sort of discount, 5% would be good.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Anywhere that offers finance should be able to do 5% as a minimum when paying without finance.

I've had discounts from GuitarGuitar, PMT, Andertons, Yamaha music London, everywhere on Denmark street. 

Biggest discount I've had was 21% off of full price, but I'd usually aim for about 10% depending on the product.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    5% of what though. It maybe already discounted from the RRP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Richtone and Sound Affects Premier will if you ask....depending on what it is. 
    Mark1960 said:
    5% of what though. It maybe already discounted from the RRP
    I'd take the lowest advertised price online (but from an actual store with the item in stock) and go for 5% off of that
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    ....depending on what it is. 
    This is kind of the key. If you're trying to haggle on a product they haven't had in stock long or is super popular there's no real incentive to discount.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Richtone have the 50's Tele on at £1299 on ebay so I'm thinking if you walked in there with £1200 cash you'd get one. Secondhand they make around a grand.
    Strat54 said:
    Richtone have the 50's Tele on at £1299 on ebay so I'm thinking if you walked in there with £1200 cash you'd get one. Secondhand they make around a grand.
    £1299 everywhere it seems. I'd be shocked if you couldn't get that for 1200 cash
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    My haggling technique in guitar shops.

"Wow, this thing is amazing. I'm in love. I'm totally going to take it! Oh err, do you think you can do anything on the price? No? Ok fair enough, take my money"

:s 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    DannyP said:

"Wow, this thing is amazing. I'm in love. I'm totally going to take it! Oh err, do you think you can do anything on the price? No? Ok fair enough, take my money"

So much wis :lol: 

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    BRISTOL86 said:
    DannyP said:

So much wis :lol: 

=)  Exactly. Mine's something like that, too.

Call me Dave.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited November 2018
    I've only ever had one local shop that would not offer anything of the ticket price.

I've had good discounts from PMT, Guitar Guitar, Coda, World Guitars.

My approach is to just tell them the max i'm prepared to pay to do the deal there and then rather than asking for a % off or their best price.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    After my recent fiasco with 2 faulty player series tele's and lots of comms between Fender Uk and Pmt, I basically exchanged the second tele for a better American Special version. 

Now, I did ask in Pmt for a discount, goodwill, call it what you will as I didnt want to pay another £300 for the better guitar after all the problemos. 
    (the player series was about £519, the Am Spec about £819). 

Not a pound off would Pmt budge. Bear in mind the exchange tele they took would presumably be sent back to Fender and Pmt would have been refunded their buying cost, or given a deal to keep it and sell as b stock. Least thats how our business works, unsure on the guitar world. 

I did get a free pack of strings for my hassles though. 

The Pmt man basically said all their Fender stock is always the 'Best UK deal' or something, and thats why theyre never priced on the shop floor, as it automatically works the cheapest price out at the till, instead of having someone constantly repricing graphics on the shop floor. 
    Not really a lowest price or 'best' deal tbh though is it, its mostly the same as every other Fender dealer. 

But they said they absolutely cannot budge on thier fender prices (with the exception of price matching a uk retailer). 

I bet they do make a profit margin though, slim as it may be, they could have dropped £20 or something. 

It did make me wonder though.

Back in the day we used to sell Apple products, and didnt make a penny on any of the actual main units (ipod/ipads). 
    We'd buy an ipod for £150 and sell it for £150 for example. 
    Only reason we'd stock them is to make money on accessory upsells such as cases, headphones etc. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    markj said:
    On the market for either a Fender professional tele or a Fender Original 50’s tele. My localish guitar shop is Dawson’s who won’t budge at all on their prices. Can anybody recommend me a shop that would give me some sort of discount, 5% would be good.
    I know a couple of guys who work at one of the Dawson's stores and they tell me all pricing is 100% directed from central office - They have little/no influence - I believe they can call and ask, but they would need to know who they are up against and generally don't move on a word and mouth pricing  - Needs to be in writing ie web or advert

I believe they take no trades in whatsoever
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    Just buy a second hand pedal from GG, first i put it in my basket, the price was 120 £, and the shipping cost was Expensive to me, 20£ to France.
    i let it in my basket, received 2 mails, and the third one was personnal from a guy, i explain my problem, he send me a mail with 10£ discount and half price shipping, when i go to the link for buying the pedal, i payed 110 and it was free shipping .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I was buying a £300 second-hand guitar from Richtone online and asked if they did pensioners' discount. They said they didn't specifically do an OAP discount but I got 5% knocked off.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbe said:
    I was buying a £300 second-hand guitar from Richtone online and asked if they did pensioners' discount. They said they didn't specifically do an OAP discount but I got 5% knocked off.
    Just out of interest, are you even an OAP??
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    mbe said:
    Just out of interest, are you even an OAP??
    Yeah, but they had to take my word for it  :3
  • mbe said:
    Youre in your 20's 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    Contacted Reidys music they can knock me £60 of an Original 50’s tele. That would make it £1240. 
  • Just a thought, but isn't it Black Friday in two weeks time? If one of the models you desire is discounted somewhere then buy it there, or use the Black Friday advertised price as a lever to get some discount elsewhere.