NGD (again): So, I've got a bizarre telecaster, so the next logical step is...

What's Hot
TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
edited November 2018 in Guitar
A bitchin' superstrat, dude! EXCELLENT!

Now, if only my photography skills had gotten a tad better since the last thread. Ahh, that'd be nice... Still, it's easier to blame my 5 year old second hand phone camera.

ANYWAY, what did I get? Well, here it is. UPDATED WITH (hopefully) MUCH BETTER PICTURES!

Initial thoughts after a few hours of play are really positive. As someone who's only previous experience in 16 years of a floating trem was with an Ibanez EDR470EX (I believe that was the model... The green Satriani looking thing), I've been blown away by just how stable (and sensitive) the trem system is. I've been diving like Raheem Sterling & the thing still holds a perfect open G chord as it did when I first set it up.

Intonation is very slightly out on the high E/B strings (I've a pretty sensitive ear), but probably only by a few cents - I'll fix it at some point, but right now, I kinda just wanna play it.

Bridge pickup sounds EXACTLY how I imagine a superstrat to sound, but the neck pick-up isn't really blowing me away right now. Inbetween positions are gorgeous for the clean sounds I usually play with, so I'm loving those for delay-ridden clean arpeggios.

SO! Now, I need your help...

Neon Pink, or Neon Green for a strap?

Cheers gang.
1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's lovely, I do like a nice RG - congrats!

Neon green for the strap, definitely :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Pink and green pickup covers with yellow knobs surely ;)
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited November 2018
    Tenebrous said:

Now, if only my photography skills had gotten a tad better since the last thread. Ahh, that'd be nice... Still, it's easier to blame my 5 year old second hand phone camera.

Looks like the bright light from those monitors has sucked all the colour out of the rest of the image.  Bogus! 

Spin the chair around, or take another pic with the light behind you, shining on the guitar.

* spraaaang*

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited November 2018
    That's lovely, I do like a nice RG - congrats!

Neon green for the strap, definitely

Everyone says that except my partner (myself included), so it's clearly the right choice. I'll order it now

sweepy said:
    Pink and green pickup covers with yellow knobs surely
    Wouldn't that require swapping the pickups out for Evo's? I can't find just pick-up covers on their own, sadly. Yellow knobs though eh? I DO want to make it as garish as possible, so if you think a purple guitar with a neon green strap & yellow knobs is the way to go, then so be it, haha.

@Guitar_Slinger I'll take your advice & take some better pics in natural light tomorrow
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    I discussed this with my wife and it must be Neon Pink.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    I discussed this with my wife and it must be Neon Pink.

So every woman asked thinks pink, while everyone else (assuming sweepy's gender here ;) ) says green... But the idea is that it looks atrociously bad in a good way!
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    edited November 2018
    Delightfully tasteless. I'm lusting for an obnoxious superstrat myself. 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Love it, great colour
  • Mike77Mike77 Frets: 14
    Good choice.
    Also I don't think it's tasteless but then again I remember the days when yearly Ibanez catalogues were a book of dreams and aspirations back when I was a young player. Hence the soft spot I guess.
    HNGD by the way. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mike77 said:
    Good choice.
    Also I don't think it's tasteless but then again I remember the days when yearly Ibanez catalogues were a book of dreams and aspirations back when I was a young player. Hence the soft spot I guess.
    HNGD by the way. :)

Haha, perhaps that's the wrong choice of word. Just something over the top and garish, y'know?

But yeah, can anyone educate me on pick-up covers? Say if I wanted some of a certain colour that still gave room for the poles, would it be a simple thing to find/install myself? Or would I be looking at buying the custom built, & having someone experienced install it?
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited November 2018
    Tenebrous said:

But yeah, can anyone educate me on pick-up covers? Say if I wanted some of a certain colour that still gave room for the poles, would it be a simple thing to find/install myself? Or would I be looking at buying the custom built, & having someone experienced install it?
    I can't remember the link now but I saw a site recently that did stickers for the top of the pickup, in any colour or combination you wish...

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    Tenebrous said:

I can't remember the link now but I saw a site recently that did stickers for the top of the pickup, in any colour or combination you wish...

That's absolutely perfect. Thanks!

So, Neon Green strap & Yellow knobs/tip on the way... Hmm. I wish I was good with photoshop

Edit: Went pink & blue :+1: 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    Purple tiger stripe fur strap, obvs. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Only if it’s furry
  • I love that guitar! Congrats
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Only thing you need now is a sparkly blue/orange/green/pink scratchplate to *really* finish it off :D

Cheers everyone :) I'll throw some pics up when it's finally done.

Only thing you need now is a sparkly blue/orange/green/pink scratchplate to *really* finish it off :D
    Haha, believe me, I've thought about it. I've also thought about dialing it back some, and having the blue/pink/blue/pink/blue pickup combination with a pink strap & knobs, but that'd make it relatively normal (and I don't wanna buy another strap anyway).

I also spied some pretty nice custom plates on Reverb & elsewhere, although I'm yet to see anything which makes me want to instantly buy it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Bloody hell, it's a lovely colour if nothing else.