What kit would i need to achieve this...?

LewyLewy Frets: 4127
So, I’ve got a Fishman Rare Earth blend which, if you use a stereo jack, can send it’s mag signal and mic signal separately. 

If one wanted to take advantage of that by having the mag taking care of low frequencies and the mic high frequencies (much like the way the Baggs Anthem does), and also be able to adjust the crossover point to taste...how would you do it? A crossover of some sort I’m guessing but I don’t know what form
they take or what type would suit this application. 

Any suggestions welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4127
    Thanks. I’d seen that thread as I was researching. I’m looking for something slightly different I.e. not a two channel preamp but something that will take the whole frequency spectrum and divide it between the two sources e.g. only hearing bass and low mid from the mag and mid and treble from the mic. I can create it in my DAW using hi and low pass filters but I’m looking for some hardware to do it.

cheers

LC
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Lewy said:
    Thanks. I’d seen that thread as I was researching. I’m looking for something slightly different I.e. not a two channel preamp but something that will take the whole frequency spectrum and divide it between the two sources e.g. only hearing bass and low mid from the mag and mid and treble from the mic. I can create it in my DAW using hi and low pass filters but I’m looking for some hardware to do it.

cheers

LC
    have you got an iPhone or iPad? 
    Red ones are better. 

TimmyO said:
    Lewy said:

cheers

LC
    have you got an iPhone or iPad? 
    2 ways I can think of:

1. 2-channel portable interface into an iOS device where you've got many app options for recreating your hi/lo pass computer setup - really easy but needs say an Apogee Duo and an iOS device

2. Chat to someone like @Sporky for a bit of insight into what needed in a simple DIY circuit and then approach one of the pedal-builders to put said circuit in a box for you 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    I think you could do this with a state-variable filter - basically the guts of a Mutron.

However, I think it'd be more flexible to have separate low and high pass filters. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:

However, I think it'd be more flexible to have separate low and high pass filters. 
    If I were the user I'd prefer that. 

Is it the kind fo circuit that Lewy could easy get someone to make ? Are there likely to be any existing circuit designs on t'internet do you think? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    Almost certainly, but I'm a bit hazy after a few days at a manufacturer training session. 

Assuming one doesn't have the kit to make PCBs I think it could be done with two of these and some head scratching. 

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/filters-envelope/musitronics-mu-tron-micro-v/
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4127
    Thanks for these answers chaps!