Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SORTED - OD AND DISTORTION RECOMMENDATIONS

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    I'm using a rat clone quite a bit at the moment with lowish gain and makes a really nice overdrive, I tend to have the guitar volume at 7ish and push it up for solos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I use the Black Secret, some of the time, which is a very cheap Rat clone. If I set the gain about half-way and use the LED clipping (Turbo mode, I think), I can get a really great smooth mid-gain lead sound -- think Jeff Beck on "Cause We've Ended as Lovers".

• Lot of options available in an original Marshall Guv'nor, which comes with bass middle treble knobs, huge advantage over single tone knob pedals. 

Yep this is turning into a favourites thread :)

• CastroCastro Frets: 509
    Thanks all so far, some excellent suggestions and some pedals which are new to me. A YouTube pedal research weekend ahead methinks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    I think the only true distortion pedal I'm holding onto during my current clear out is the Sobbat DB1. Dirty or smooth, lots of sustain, but if you're playing single coils, you can still hear that they're single coils.
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited November 2018
    Barber Direct Drive as medium gain and stacked with the Tim should give you full creamy lead tone..

btw. VFE are closing down shortly, so you may get a deal on an Alfa dog as he's clearing stock, try Reverb.
  • ICBM said:
    Boss SD-2.

Really.

If you need both sounds on the fly, a remote footswitch plugged in will do it.
    Some of the best OD/lead tones I’ve ever heard in a dual type drive pedal, mine has seen off many boutique boxes. Do damn easy to use, lovely sparkly crunch and thick lead tones. Don’t be put off by Boss. Think this demo gives a great representation of pedal.

https://youtu.be/xcyx3lqfXz0
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    edited November 2018
    The Distortion pedal I’ve had the longest has been my Palmer Solid Metal....Great EQ so you can get scooped Metal if you want, but excels at AC/DC & Zep stuff and does a fantastic Gilmour in full flight. £50 ish 2nd Hand. It is a big bugger though. I’ve cut that big lump of metal off the front of mine.

https://youtu.be/ehAd_ifcyqc
  • @icbm and @builttospill how does the SD-2 compare to the other Boss pedals like the SD-1 / OS-2 / OD-3 ? 
  • Thorpy pedals....job done!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My two cents would be a T-Rex Mudhoney 2. It’ll do bluesy low gain sounds, crunchy rock rhythm and fuzzy lead. 
    I believe it’s based on a Rat (or rather two in one box), so it doesn’t do super smooth soft-clipping drive like a tubescreamer, and the mid voicing is flatter. 
    Stick a mini boost or compressor in front of it and you double your options.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Rats are great but they do kind of take over your sound a bit. 

I just got a Caline Orange Burst and for £16 it's a great pedal. It's a BB Preamp clone and it can go anywhere from transparent clean boost to fat mid gain overdrive. I normally use it as a booster for a dirty amp but I could use it as a main OD if I needed to.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    @icbm and @builttospill how does the SD-2 compare to the other Boss pedals like the SD-1 / OS-2 / OD-3 ? 
    The crunch side is more open and amp-like, and the lead side is smooth but very ‘harmonic’ and touch-sensitive. I really should get another one... it’s probably my ideal Boss overdrive.

It’s a particularly nasty shade of yellow though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DominicDominic Frets: 16000
    It's a waste of an Ef 86 Vox type amp not to have a classic old school Treble booster......it's the classic rock sound and will also give you instant Brian May which is a useful sound .
    Pair this with a MIB type sound ( TRex Moller, POT, etc )
    Or if you want smooth and a bit fuzzier if needed just buy Analogman Sunlion and you have the treble boost and fuzz in one expensive box.......a surface dialled back is still a great medium gain sound.
  • Kingsley Jester. If you can get your hands on one. 
  • Highly recommend the aforementioned MXR M77 Custom Badass Overdrive.

Run it into a RAT after your low gain/boost and you have exactly what you're looking for.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Thorpy gunshot for the od. My favourite od pedal!
  • 3 distortions is boring so Im going to reccomend a phase90
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I recently picked up a Laney/Black Country Customs TI Boost.  A twist on the old Rangemaster, but with a bit more control on the gain.  It's got my ear at the minute.