Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Most Underrated Albums

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8773
    Another contender: #1 Record - Big Star

The missing link between the Byrds and every jangle indie pop beat combo from here to REM.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Budgie’s first album-such an underated band,never quite made it massive but influenced so many— also as I type this, listening to Demon “The Uninvited Guest” another great band who didn’t make it big
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    edited November 2018
    Chinatown - Thin Lizzy
    The album was generally not well received by Lizzy fans on it"s release but I personally think that it is a cracker.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine would have to be, The Soft Boys -Underwater Moonlight, The Rain Parade - Emergency Third Rail Power Trip and Explosions in the Glass Palace. I also own Dark Star - Twenty Twenty Sound (but I'm not Grocer_Jack)
    We are of one mind sir :)
  • JerkMoans said:
    Another contender: #1 Record - Big Star

The missing link between the Byrds and every jangle indie pop beat combo from here to REM.
    Hell yes. Interesting career Alex Chilton - a US number one with The Box Tops at 17 then diminishing returns thereafter. Big Star are one of the greatest bands of all time in my book. Shouldn't forget Chris Bell either - his solo album is great too. 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Big Star were great. Still gutted at missing Alex Chilton play Glasgow some years back :(

www.proudhoney.com

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited November 2018
    Breaking the World by Threatin
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Jason Falkner-Author Unknown
    Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

the two best LPs since Marquee Moon. And Jason is probably my favourite living guitar player under 70, Dave Gregory loves him too.
    Oasis were to have Matthew support him mid 90s, but then Noel chickened out  as he would have blown them off the stage  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Big Star are massively rated and rightly so 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    It's probably fair enough to say that they've heard Dio, but these are great band!

Whilst looking at the above videos, this one came up on my list...

Oh, and this instructional video...

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited November 2018
    The Buffalo Skinners by Big Country - outstanding songs and guitar, unusual in that it had Simon Phillips on drums - fantastic album - We’re not in Kansas may be my favourite of all they ever did. 
  • kt66 said:
    Jason Falkner-Author Unknown
    Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

the two best LPs since Marquee Moon. And Jason is probably my favourite living guitar player under 70, Dave Gregory loves him too.
    Oasis were to have Matthew support him mid 90s, but then Noel chickened out  as he would have blown them off the stage  
    The Matthew Sweet/Susanna Hoffs 'Under The Covers' series of albums is great too. The Matthew Sweet solo records have some great guitar playing on them, especially from Robert Quine and Richard Lloyd
    PhilW1 said:
    Budgie’s first album-such an underated band,never quite made it massive but influenced so many— also as I type this, listening to Demon “The Uninvited Guest” another great band who didn’t make it big
    With a name like Budgie they were destined to succeed.

Zoom Club is my favourite Budgie song.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    ok - I'm going to go for an album the majority of you will never have heard of, but you may well be familiar with the English folk revival movement, right? Fairport, Steeleye all that lot, Pentangle, Jansch etc.... well a similar thing happened in Scotland.

The first name on many lips for folk rock with a Scots flavour is the JSD band, formed by a chap called Sean O'Rourke. Well this is the album recorded by his first band in 1976 and notable for 2 things in my eyes. First up it features a virtuoso highland bagpipe player by the name of Alan Macleod. This was the first band to integrate highland pipes into traditional folk music, not an easy thing to do as they have a much harsher tone than say Uilean pipes.

Second it introduces us to a phenomenal guitar player called Tony Cuffe.

After this band, Tony joined the group Ossian who had done the opposite of Fairport. rather than electrifying traditional folk tunes, Ossian started out as a rock group called Contraband. They then transitioned over to traditional instruments and tunes for a series of amazing albums. So at heart these guys rock and you can hear it in their playing.

So there you go, my underrated album is the self titled, one and only recording by Alba. Underrated 'cos no one has ever heard of it, worthy of greater recognition because it was innovative and a stepping stone to much greatness. 

It's also one of my favourite album covers.

Here's the first track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve7j9oE6X8w

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Nomzamo by IQ. Superb musicianship throughout.

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    The Buffalo Skinners by Big Country - outstanding songs and guitar, unusual in that it had Simon Phillips on drums - fantastic album - We’re not in Kansas may be my favourite of all they ever did. 
    Glad you brought up Big Country.

Back in 1984, The Crossing along with U2's 'War' were the soundtrack to my college year.  The Crossing was excellent but then Big Country came up with the less popular 'Steeltown' which I feel has always been an underrated album.

At the time of that album I was also reading Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and the music of it seemed to fit the storyline perfectly. For me that is one of the great things about Big Country as a group, they had this knack of telling great, atmospheric stories with their songs.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    "Raising Sand" by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• prowla said:
    Axe Victim - Be Bop Deluxe 
    Excellent album. :)
    A fine, fine musician!
    I saw him at Manchester Poly on the "Quit dreaming and get on the beam" tour.

My favourite Be Bop Delux song.

And something more recent...

Maid in Heaven - Be Bop Deluxe - best single ever!