Marshall super bass

What's Hot
billandobillando Frets: 26
I'm in the situation where I want to get a non master jmp marshall. I will be gigging but still attenuating down. I will probably get a superlead but I'm interested in the super bass. Anyone have experience with them or both? It's for a classic rock sound. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a1969 Marshall jmp super PA with 4 inputs.   Totally clean sound but fine as a pedal platform. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I have a super bass - awesome amp but I suspect you’ll need pedals as well if you want any gainy sounds.  
  • Ok thanks I wouldn't be using pedals so maybe super bass would be too clean. I did think about a reissue superlead but I had an original 1987 before that totally kicked a new 1987x ass. I have a jcm 2204 just now that I love but think it sounds better with master low and preamp up as opposed to using the attenuator. Does anyone gig with an attenuated nmv? Does it suck too much tone or Is it worth it? I have the fryette power station so I do have a good attenuator.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    billando said:
    Ok thanks I wouldn't be using pedals so maybe super bass would be too clean.
    Without pedals or an attenuator, a Super Bass will be clean up to pretty deafening volume. It's also much thicker-sounding at lower volume settings than a Super Lead so sounds better with pedals usually, as well as having a more controllable volume taper.

billando said:

I have the fryette power station so I do have a good attenuator.  
    Be careful. The Fryette is rated for 200W maximum, and a cranked Super Bass or original Super Lead will usually put out more than that.

I would just keep the 2204. It's much more flexible than cranking up a non-MV amp and using an attenuator as the sole volume control, and if you balance the MV and the attenuation rather than trying to do it all with the attenuator it will probably sound better, as I think you've already found.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Yip I had a super bass 100 1992 model from 1980 a while back. I believe Malcolm Young used a 1992.. quite dark and not as gainy as an SLP. Clean as a whistle until you hit the sort of volume that would shatter the earth to its core. I think there’s a “simple” mod that changes the circuit to an SLP ( @icbm is this right?).

I always preferred a cranked JTM45. 30 watts of unmolested beauty.
    lonestar said:
    Yip I had a super bass 100 1992 model from 1980 a while back. Clean as a whistle until you hit the sort of volume that would shatter the earth to its core. I think there’s a “simple” mod that changes the circuit to an SLP ( @icbm is this right?).
    Eight component value changes if I remember correctly - at least if it's a 4-input Super Bass. If it's a 2-input model with the mid sweep control it's more complicated.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Ok didn't know that about the power rating of the power station. I have a bluesbreaker reissue. I have to attenuate that down just a little for gigs. Sounds nice but not quite aggressive enough. An original 1987 would also be an option. Any other nmv out there you would recommend? 
    tFB Trader
    If I wasn’t going with a JTM45 I’d be going with a 76/77 2203.
  • Not looking for a master volume amp I have plenty of them and as I said I love the jcm 2204. Not going for the jtm45 as I have the combo version. I see posts saying a cranked super lead can go to 170 maybe 180 watts but not 200....think I'll maybe just go for one and take my chances. I can always sell it on if I don't like it as much as the 2204. I'm not in a position to try before I buy. 
    tFB Trader
    Try and earlier JMP (early 70s) and get a Schaffer Replica pedal. Going by the videos I’ve seen that combo sounds rather lurvly  
    billando said:
    Ok didn't know that about the power rating of the power station. I have a bluesbreaker reissue. I have to attenuate that down just a little for gigs. Sounds nice but not quite aggressive enough.
    Try a solid-state rectifier in the Bluesbreaker. It's a plug-and-play mod, although you should check the bias.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    billando said:
    Ok thanks I wouldn't be using pedals so maybe super bass would be too clean. I did think about a reissue superlead but I had an original 1987 before that totally kicked a new 1987x ass. I have a jcm 2204 just now that I love but think it sounds better with master low and preamp up as opposed to using the attenuator. Does anyone gig with an attenuated nmv? Does it suck too much tone or Is it worth it? I have the fryette power station so I do have a good attenuator.  
    If the 1987x you tried didn't sound as good as an original it's usually down to valves and biasing, it's an awesome amp. 

I've had three 70s originals and they remain my favourite ever amp, but the reissue is indistinguishable as a circuit IMO. 

I would seriously consider one.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    edited November 2018
    In my teens, my brother played bass through a Marshall Super Bass 100 and a single 4x12 cabinet. My recollection is that the throw from the cab was very directional. (i.e. Directly ahead.) If my brother wandered off-axis, towards the drum kit, for better eye contact with the drummer, he could not hear himself properly. 
    Be seeing you.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I always thought the Super Bass had more to offer than many of the other 'classic' era lead models.

Wish I had nabbed one when the collective idea of playing a 'Bass' model seemed cheapskate and 'hand-me-down'
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I would pick super bass over super lead everyday, much thicker and fuller tone without that horrible high end...but I used mine with fuzz pedals, which worked great...on its own you’d burst your appendix at the volumes you need to get it overdriven. Nonetheless a wonderful sounding amp
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    I gig a Superlead with attenuator,
    it also has a ppimv master volume but the amp does not respond the same, specially when rolling down the guitar volume to clean up the sound,
    so I mainly use an old power brake and it works great for me,

• tabano said:
    it also has a ppimv master volume but the amp does not respond the same, specially when rolling down the guitar volume to clean up the sound,

I had a lovely old 1987 from 73 that was a monster, put a ppimv on it and hated it.. Couldnt get used to what it did to the amp myself.... Wonder is it a thing with old Marshalls?

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • If by classic rock you’re thinking Lizzy AC/DC GnR VH etc  -  I can recommend a 70s JMP 2204 , MV works well , works with attenuators , consider clipping bright cap and avoid v30 only cabs .

more versatile than you would imagine - use low gain input for acceptable cleans , pedal platform n a little boost / eq  =>  plexi territory. Hi gain for crunch and beyond - add TS for metal .. 
    Awesome amps ... 
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    tabano said:

I had a lovely old 1987 from 73 that was a monster, put a ppimv on it and hated it.. Couldnt get used to what it did to the amp myself.... Wonder is it a thing with old Marshalls?

I don’t know if it’s got to do with the age of the amp, mine it’s a reissue 2007/2008 if I remember correctly,
    Aidanspaghetti said:

What kind of PPIMV? There are two main types... the cross-line which works well on Vox-type amps (eg Matchless, which use it as stock) and the dual bias feed (Ken Fischer) which works better on Marshall-type amps. The cross-line is *very* sensitive to small differences in a NFB amp and can sound terrible - which is a shame as it's by far the easier to fit.