DAWs, DI's, IR's, Re-Amping etc

What's Hot

I'm a relative noob to recording. I do it purely for fun and generally to make objective comparisons between different pieces of gear I swap out etc.

At the moment, it's been a Blue Snowball condenser Mic straight into the laptop via USB and Audacity. Not ideal I know, and while the results haven't been horrific, it seems there's easier way and less limited ways of doing things.

So this 2 Notes Torpedo Reload, seems great, been looking at that, and a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, plus IR's for speakers, cabs and mics. Also Downloaded cakewalk and am beginning to mess with it.

Setting aside the 2 Notes, I'm presuming there's a way to do the whole DI re-amp thing whilst listening to what you're recording as you're playing it live through the amp and your physical cab. then you can re-amp whatever you play back through the amp and use the IR's for cabs and mics. 2 Notes clearly didn't invent the idea of Re-Amping.

So is there a setup of individual components that would do all of the above as integrally and elegantly as the 2 Notes Reload in a mancave setup that would cost less than the 2 Notes?

I Ask because I already have an attenuator, and plan to get a London Power power scaling module installed at some point, in either case, the attenuation of the Reload is redundant.

As far as i can see/understand (which isn't lots) I would need an interface with Line Level in's and outs (2i4), a DI with passthrough for the front end of the amp to record the direct signal from the instrument for re-amping, some kind of DI with pass though to put between the Amp and Speakers to get the amplified signal to which IR's would be applied, and a re-amping box (is that a thing?) to send the direct recorded guitar signal back to the amp. 

Educate me please, if you have the time and inclination.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Are you recording in a studio or at home?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    @Fretwired , I'm at home in my mancave.
    In that case I'd recommend you get a decent modeller like a Line 6 Helix which can also act as a sound card. You can record amped and direct amp tones and easily re-amp. Less hassle and great tones.

@Fretwired, ok so if I'm understanding this, it's re-amping into the helix and applying the helix models to the direct recorded guitar recorded in to the helix initially?
    edited November 2018
    tekbow said:
    @Fretwired, ok so if I'm understanding this, it's re-amping into the helix and applying the helix models to the direct recorded guitar recorded in to the helix initially?
    Yes. The Helix can record into a DAW (recording software) and you can have multiple instances of one guitar track to play with. The Helix also acts as a soundcard via USB and has a mono/stereo FX loop so you can use delay/reverb/chorus pedals and stick distortion in the front or just use the inbuilt effects. You can take the direct signal and reamp it as many times as you like - great for complimentary rhythm tracks.

Trying to record a powerful valve amp at home is tricky. The Helix is just plug and play. It also takes IRs if you want additional cabinets, mics etc.

edited November 2018

@Fretwired Ok, thanks for the input, the only thing is it's my actual amp I want to record. As I said, I like to do as objective as possible comparisons on pieces of gear that I get. For example, If I buy a new pickup, there's no point in buying installing it and saying it's better than the old pickup. how would I know?

Preamp tubes are another thing. By the time you've switched them, possibly a few minutes has gone by and your perception has changed.

Best way to do it for me is to record em, line em up side by side and listen.

Also the Helix is £1200, whereas the 2notes plus interface plus cables is cheaper.

Lastly, I've no real interest in Amp modelling. I like Tube Amps.

But as i said, thanks for the input and taking the time, it is appreciated.

• The GFI CabZeus will do much of what you're after if you've already got an attenuator and pick up an audio interface (Focusrite are pretty good),

If you wanted to re-amp to your own amp you would need something like an Orchid Electronics Amp Interface to readjust the impedance levels when going from interface to guitar amp. You'd also need some kind of ABY box to split the guitar signal to amp and interface to record a dry guitar track for re-amping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The GFI CabZeus will do much of what you're after if you've already got an attenuator and pick up an audio interface (Focusrite are pretty good),

Interesting .. not come across that before.

tekbow said:

@Fretwired Ok, thanks for the input, the only thing is it's my actual amp I want to record. As I said, I like to do as objective as possible comparisons on pieces of gear that I get. For example, If I buy a new pickup, there's no point in buying installing it and saying it's better than the old pickup. how would I know?

Preamp tubes are another thing. By the time you've switched them, possibly a few minutes has gone by and your perception has changed.

Best way to do it for me is to record em, line em up side by side and listen.

Also the Helix is £1200, whereas the 2notes plus interface plus cables is cheaper.

Lastly, I've no real interest in Amp modelling. I like Tube Amps.

But as i said, thanks for the input and taking the time, it is appreciated.

No problem. I understand why you would want to record your amp.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    edited November 2018

"As far as i can see/understand (which isn't lots) I would need an interface with Line Level in's and outs (2i4), a DI with passthrough for the front end of the amp to record the direct signal from the instrument for re-amping, some kind of DI with pass though to put between the Amp and Speakers to get the amplified signal to which IR's would be applied, and a re-amping box (is that a thing?) to send the direct recorded guitar signal back to the amp." 

SO you need the following:

-Audio interface

-Splitter to split guitar signal left and right (left goes into audio interface via DI input on audio interface, right goes to amp). 

-Attenuator placed between amp and speakers with line level output for recording amp output. This goes to audio interface. 

-Reamp box to send direct signal back into amp if you need it

Audio interface: choose whatever your budget allows. 

Splitter: ABY box did it for me in the past. Sporky built me a lovely little one. Can't remember the price so call it £100.  

Attenuator: something like the Koch Amps Dummybox (£140). You say you have an attenuator: what outputs does it have? 

Reamp box: Orchid Electronics Amp Interface (£56) 

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/Amp_Interface.htm

So yes, you can do it for a lot less than the 2 Notes. 

@steamabacus And @Heartfeltdawn, great answers guys, I'll look into those pieces of kit, cheers!