The Damned

What's Hot

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited September 2017
    Just had a quick look on the net and they seem to have recruited Paul O'Grady on guitar!
    Wotchit fella.  The Captain is my favourite guitar player of all time.   EVH comes in second!

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Yup! Should get tickets to see them in Leeds given it has been over a year since we last saw them! Still love the intro to Smash it Up and have good memories of heading backstage when they played Whitby to speak to Sensible a few years back :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a Chinese Take Away called New Rose in Thornton Heath Pond.
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    ellangus said:
    My mate was in them for a short period in the very early eighties!
    Paul Scott on keyboards.

Paul was classically trained on piano and was in a punk band who were supporting the Damned on a tour, Captain Sensible heard him playing piano in a hotel lobby and got in touch with him after the tour asking him if he was interested in joining them.

He was 16 and a huge Damned fan too.

I remember Paul appearing on TOTP - they painted a blue lightening bolt across his face!!

He had a ball but didn't earn a carrot out of it - got a few good stories though - spending time partyng with Motorhead etc.

Funny enough I had a mate' who played keys for them too.... Paul Shepley. Played on the Phantasmagoria album, plus that tour, so got to see them a few times, which was great having already been a fan of the early days.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    I remember Paul Shepley. What's he doing nowadays?
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Deadman said:
    I remember Paul Shepley. What's he doing nowadays?

Being a dad and grandad! not to sure what his doing for a living now though tbh??? I know his still teaches the 'old Joanna' ;)
    Anyone seen em this tour??

I've got tickets for London on Sat night (booked a hotel too) but DV is unwell and they cancelled Southampton last night.

Fingers crossed he gets better but I doubt it. A night on the piss in Camden it'll be if so...
  • That's the downside of seeing bands. I remember going to see Nirvana at Belfast Art College when we were chased home. That was cancelled to record at TOTP appearance!

I haven't got tickets yet, but hope to see The Damned in August, when they play outdoors with SLF.
    flyingv said:
    ellangus said:
    My mate was in them for a short period in the very early eighties!
    Paul Scott on keyboards.

Paul was classically trained on piano and was in a punk band who were supporting the Damned on a tour, Captain Sensible heard him playing piano in a hotel lobby and got in touch with him after the tour asking him if he was interested in joining them.

He was 16 and a huge Damned fan too.

I remember Paul appearing on TOTP - they painted a blue lightening bolt across his face!!

He had a ball but didn't earn a carrot out of it - got a few good stories though - spending time partyng with Motorhead etc.

Funny enough I had a mate' who played keys for them too.... Paul Shepley. Played on the Phantasmagoria album, plus that tour, so got to see them a few times, which was great having already been a fan of the early days.
    I’ve got his autograph on my white vinyl Phantasmagoria album. 
    Excellent gig last night, if a little subdued considering it was London. Paul Gray being back is just superb. Highlight was him and CS doing Dr Jekyll and Smash it up Pt1. The planets were aligned and that Rick bass sounded awesome.
    So the new album was released today. So far I don't mind it but I don't love it yet.
    edited November 2018
    Heads up. 2 hour documentary 'Don't you wish that we were dead' on Sky Arts at 10pm tonight.

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    Love The Damned. As I said in the underrated albums thread, Strawberries is a superb album. Takes me back to 82/83, my final year at school. Must've played that album a thousand times, I had a new circle of friends who introduced me to new sounds, Carlsberg Special Brew, fags, a little violence (!) and whilst I grew out of that as exam time approached I still remember it as one of the best times of my life.

Under The Floor Again, such a great song and my favourite off the album.  But at that point in time, it was always Bad Time For Bonzo and if I want to reminisce about those days, that's the song I put on.

I wonder if The Damned, or indeed all rock stars, understand the impact of their music and memories they create. I suppose they do, after all, they were teenagers once. But to write any song that people talk fondly about 35 years later has got to be an awesome, proud feeling.
    edited November 2018
    The first time I met Sensible I had a good few minutes conversation with him. I was interested to know who his true great influences are and he said Bolan, Hendrix and talked about Soft machine and even some obscure Japanese band. He couldn't accept it when I said he was in my list, probably top 3. But it's true.

Love Bad time for Bonzo. Love Strawberries as a whole. It reminds me of growing up with my mates who luckily all loved The Damned too. Under the floor again.....I'm still waiting to get bored by it. It's been a 37 year wait.
    edited November 2018
    I’ve got tickets for the November Coventry and Oxford gigs. Who else is going?
    interested to hear the new bass player!
  • I bought Strawberries on a school trip to Belfast to check out the big business and catering college. Nobody in my group had heard of the band and none of them realised Captain Sensible was anything other than a solo act!

@themarlin the new bassist is ok 
    I bought Strawberries on a school trip to Belfast to check out the big business and catering college. Nobody in my group had heard of the band and none of them realised Captain Sensible was anything other than a solo act!

@themarlin the new bassist is ok 
    cool. Thanks. I did like Stu, he was solid  Paul Gray is my favourite, he gave it some welly. 
  • Deadman said:
    Heads up. 2 hour documentary 'Don't you wish that we were dead' on Sky Arts at 10pm tonight.

Thanks. I really enjoyed watching this today. I can see some Damned CDs heading my way. It's a shame the rival camps seem to hate each other so much. I never realised what a great guitar player Captain Sensible is. Much better than his contemporaries by all accounts. It was funny to see a few seconds of Kris Dollimore. I used to go out drinking with him many years ago.
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @freakboy1610 Dollimore was impressive with Godfathers and probably peaked with the Damned album
    Just gearing up for the Oxford gig. Few beers on the cards this afternoon! I see you're going too Marlin. Looking forward to seeing Paul Gray again.