Amplifier Question

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
Hi All,

I've been out of the market for a long time and I wanted to ask what the best lightweight bass amplifier would be for a precision bass?

I like to play hard rock and jazz, but I'm mainly interested in the former.

Thank you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Lightweight? Probably the Fender Rumble v3 series. They go from small practice combos to 500w stage models, all very lightweight and with a good sound. Ampeg do similar combos but with much heavier cabs and with less options re sounds available. These are both solid state btw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Markbass. Not cheap but very good. And lightweight.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KristoKristo Frets: 123
    Tecamp/Eich
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited November 2018
    Aguilar Tone Hammer is compact and lightweight. Unfortunately, buying one will seriously lighten your wallet.

I like the pre-Behringer tc electronic stuff. 
    Be seeing you.
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    GenzBenz stuff is good and can be had cheap. I happen to have one for sale in the classifieds lol 
  • Certainly on a budget the Rumbles.

You could also look at the Phil Jones stuff for portability. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    If you go for a Fender Rumble, make sure it is a lot bigger than you think you need. They are not the most well built, and can start to rattle and buz after a while.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    No love for the TC Electronic BG series combos these days?

We’ve had the 1x15 version doing house amp duties at a jam I’m a regular at for years, it’s been no problem at all, sounds great, is surprisingly compact and manageable (there are other versions running from a 2x8” upwards which are even more so).

Speaking as a guitarist who very occasionally plays bass under extreme duress I think they’re great, and would be high on my list if I ever wanted/needed a bass amp...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JayGee said:

We’ve had the 1x15 version doing house amp duties at a jam I’m a regular at for years, it’s been no problem at all, sounds great, is surprisingly compact and manageable (there are other versions running from a 2x8” upwards which are even more so).

Speaking as a guitarist who very occasionally plays bass under extreme duress I think they’re great, and would be high on my list if I ever wanted/needed a bass amp...
    They do have a bit of a reputation for reliability issues. However, I think the biggest issue they have is there are better sounding, lighter and more reliable options out there nowadays for not much more money (and in some cases the same money)
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    I used to play a Genz Benz 750 through a Neo 212 and it was a great all rounder. The Aguilat Tone Hammer seemed the obvious choice looking aound, but it sounds a bit polite on demos.
    Schnozz said:
    I used to play a Genz Benz 750 through a Neo 212 and it was a great all rounder. The Aguilat Tone Hammer seemed the obvious choice looking aound, but it sounds a bit polite on demos.
    I actually don’t like the tonehammer - to me it’s just too mid-scooped
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    Schnozz said:
    Yeah - I always got that from EBS too

I would like to try Markbass, although I've never really associated them with precision bass players

I'll have a look at TC, as I remember the 'Staccato' they made with Rocco Prestia...
    Schnozz said:
    Schnozz said:
    Yeah - I always got that from EBS too

I would like to try Markbass, although I've never really associated them with precision bass players

I'll have a look at TC, as I remember the 'Staccato' they made with Rocco Prestia...
    If you keep the Markbass flat and use the vle control you can get some great tones with a P
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Mark1960 said:
    If you go for a Fender Rumble, make sure it is a lot bigger than you think you need. They are not the most well built, and can start to rattle and buzz after a while.
    The 200w model only achieves the quoted output figure with an extension cabinet connected. Given the price difference between a Rumble 200 + cab and a Rumble 500, it makes better sense to choose the latter. You'll never be short of power.

JayGee said:
    I have only limited experience of the BG/BH ranges. I prefer to stick with the discontinued Staccato '51 and RS210.

Schnozz said:
    TC ... 'Staccato' ... Rocco Prestia
    This is, essentially, the RH450 with its EQ bands programmed to suit Rocco - a famed Ampeg user. Rather than Bass, Low Mid, High Mid, Treble, the bands act like Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence. 
    Be seeing you.