Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Plugin Deals and Discussion Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

octatonic said:
    IMHO UA do the best LA2a plugin. by quite a margin too.

LA2A is not my first choice for guitars though, if I use any obvious compression at all it would be from a Distressor, API2500 or an LA3A.
    My current favourite guitar bus treatment is a Crane Song STC8 (which is very transparent) into an A Designs Hammer.

Are you all familiar with Empirical Labs Arouser and/or Kush Novatron?
    IMHO these are the two best plugin compressors currently available in a non-DSP platform (ie not HDX or UA).
    Novatron in particular is a stunningly awesome sound.
    That may be the case, but UAD is not an option for me, I'm afraid. I refuse to spend on any hardware to make plugins work. I have a nice RME interface and would be reluctant to lose that, however nice the UAD stuff may be.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check those. out :-)
    You don't have to lose your RME.
    I don't use a UA audio interface in the studio, I have Focusrite Red/Rednet.
    UAD2 Accelerators are absolutely worth the money imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've just made a non-plugin purchase.
    After 10 years of working wholly in the box, albeit with some outboard as inserts I've decided to go back to mixing out of the box and bought one of these:

I've also got an SSL Fusion incoming but I'll create a thread about that when it arrives- I was one of the beta-testers for it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I have Arouser. It’s fantastic. I wanted to not like it because even at half price it was expensive, but it does so much and sounds great. I do still like the Slate Distressor too but especially having the saturation separately adjustable really is handy.

I don’t have UA hardware.

Several people have recommended Kush plugins but as of yet I’ve not tried any.
    UA do the best Distressor too, I'm sorry to report.
    I've got the hardware and most of the plugins versions now, the Slate has a hardness to it that isn't in the original.
    It is cool in its own way.
    SlyFi Deflector is very good too.
    The one I use most, other than the hardware is SK Note Distro-S, because it does AAX DSP.

They are all good in their own way.
    I have a studio owning friend who says the UA distressor is a better distressor than a distressor :)

Sadly UA is too pricy for me to justify at the moment
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I'm getting frustrated waiting for the second email from Computer Music that supposedly has the serial code for White 2A. Taking ages...anyone else experienced this?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I'm getting frustrated waiting for the second email from Computer Music that supposedly has the serial code for White 2A. Taking ages...anyone else experienced this?
    Did you verify your email? I’m assuming it’s not in your junk inbox.

No I found it straight forward, checking my emails I got the code straight away after verifying.

I’d email a support department if you’re not getting it.
    Did you verify your email? I’m assuming it’s not in your junk inbox.

No I found it straight forward, checking my emails I got the code straight away after verifying.

I’d email a support department if you’re not getting it.
    Thanks mate, I almost did! It came through about half hour ago, there was a massive delay after confirming my email address.

All worknig now though, so I'm absolutely landed! :-) Thanks again for the heads up! Bargain!

• I'll just leave this here...

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/thanksgiving-2018/

50% off a load of excellent stuff including the new Kontakt 6
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    I'll just leave this here...

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/thanksgiving-2018/

50% off a load of excellent stuff including the new Kontakt 6
    Thanks for that - I've been looking at Traktor's 12 for some time but it seemed churlish to turn it down at a mere £29.50.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    j_r said:

Finally got around to downloading the 7day demo last night and played around with it for an hour.  I like it, nice and punchy...must try out the SSL E-channel another time and see how that compares.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I got the SLL G for $29 , so I wouldn't rush to buy at $99
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Cheers @joeyowen ;

Yep, I’m familiar now with the Waves sales system and will hold tight. I dont really NEED it....but sometimes the GAS gets under the skin  =)
    Are people aware of Waves WUP charges?

Also check out Cytomic's 'The Glue'.
    It is still my favourite SSL G Bus compressor with the exception of the hardware version that I have here.
  • octatonic said:

I am and it's never proven an issue for me.  I don't tend to update my system often and the plugins have always been more stable for me than most others.

Again it could be cheaper or last longer... but the business model makes logical sense.

Rather than get new features, the USP with Waves is your plugins will continue to do that indefinitely.  WYSIWYG.  I do think there's some benefit in that, if you like the plugs.  

Compare to someone like Izotope who do new versions fairly regularly, don't really have a properly dynamic discount program (owning 1 product seems to give the same discount as owning multiple, if you want to crossgrade to a bundle), and at some point will drop support for the version you bought so you will eventually have to upgrade.  Or at least I think that's the case, some of the links seem to be dead regarding historical compatibility.
  • "WUP charges"? What's WUP?

• I think in terms of discount/loyalty schemes that Plugin Alliance have a good system right now.  They've got rolling sales but have a loyalty discount based on amount spent in the past 12 months, and a multi buy discount for buying several plugins at once, and another tier for 'heavy hitters' with a lot of their plugs.

It also helps that a bunch of their plugins are quite nice, the SSL and Console N (Neve) channel strips sound nice.  The Townhouse comp has its own thing going on (it's either awesome or way too coloured)
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    octatonic said:

Also check out Cytomic's 'The Glue'.
    It is still my favourite SSL G Bus compressor with the exception of the hardware version that I have here.

Agreed, Jaquire King says that's his go to on software bus compression
  • "WUP charges"? What's WUP?
    https://www.waves.com/support/waves-update-plan

It's basically the support plan.  Covers updates (which you may or may not require) and if you've got a bundle you would get any additional plugins added to a bundle if you're within WUP, though historically the one that benefits most is the Mercury bundle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    "WUP charges"? What's WUP?    Waves update plan. 
  • Also some of you guys might find this quite fun.

https://ddmf.eu/plugindoctor/

It can analyse plugins, it's not completely bug free but it's pretty interesting, especially when comparing like for like models.
    octatonic said:

I am and it's never proven an issue for me.  I don't tend to update my system often and the plugins have always been more stable for me than most others.

Same here- I pay my yearly WUP charge and enjoy hassle free ownership.

My main issue is, given I run multiple systems, that they only give you one authorisation.
    A lot of companies (Eventide, Avid, Slate and others) will give you two authorisations so you don't have to take your iLok off the main system to use your portable one.
    It is very convenient.