The Eurorack/Modular Thread.

What's Hot
Anyone else doing the modular synth thing?
I've gone for Eurorack, rather than 5U or any of the other standards, mainly for support and price.

Here is my current modular iteration:

It started as a Minimoog clone, then I added Maths, Clouds and then the rest of the Mutable Instruments bits.
Then the Doepfer sequencer and the VCA's.
My favourite module though is MI Branches because the Bernoulli Gate kinda acts like an Aussie game called 'Two Up' where two coins are tossed for a random result- it throws carefully constructed patches into chaos.

I'm going to keep exploring it- I definitely need more LFO's, VCO's and Filters. :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    I love Eurorack but unfortunately due to having young kids I decided I couldn’t justify a whole bedroom for my gear. I’ve got rid of most of it now and just a handful of things to sell. 

MI Clouds and Elements were my favourite two modules. Loved the Doepfer Spring Reverb and Was filter also. 
    May start again if and when I get a loft extension. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Sadly I can't devote any cash to a hardware modular atm, but I am well into VCV Rack, Reaktor Blocks and the Moog Model 15 app on IOS. A few months ago I got an Arturia Minibrute 2S so I do have a bit of CV patching going on and I have a definite temptation to get one of those add on Eurorack cases for it.

Or maybe I'll start saving for a Moog One...

;-)
  • I have my ancient DIY modular built from the Digisound modules back in the 80s.. and a pile of PCBs in various stages of completion that are meant to go into a Eurorack extension. One day!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited November 2018
    It is crazy the amount of flexibility you have with these systems.
    Here I am dicking around with Maths into Mystery and Veils:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 114
    Was about to post a thread . But this looks like its the one !
    I am looking to embark on a modular for guitar type rabbit hole journey. looking to start  immediately ( if this feels like a thread hi jack just ignore me) but any advice on basic modules, plus best places to buy, new or secondhand, what to avoid etc. ?
    about £,1000?
    Any advice gratefully received 
    chris 
    edited November 2018
    jakeolly said:
    Was about to post a thread . But this looks like its the one !
    I am looking to embark on a modular for guitar type rabbit hole journey. looking to start  immediately ( if this feels like a thread hi jack just ignore me) but any advice on basic modules, plus best places to buy, new or secondhand, what to avoid etc. ?
    about £,1000?
    Any advice gratefully received 
    chris 
    I'm tempted to say 'back away'- I started with Eurorack this year for a small system and have basically thrown any spare cash at it since then- I have 10k sunk it it now and expect that will continue until I live on the streets, albeit with a killer rig.
    (Kidding... sort of).

The notion of spending £1k and then being done with it is laughable- everyone who says this ends up with spending 10x this in the first year if they can afford it.
    But if you are going into it with your eyes open then I would work out what you want and then plan accordingly.

On Modular for guitar- what do you want to do with your modular that you cannot do with a regular effects unit?
    How do you plan to control the modular when using y9our hands to play guitar?

This is what my current modular looks like, although I had a DFAM, Rainmaker and a bunch of utility modules from Doepfer coming next week so it will grow... it always grows.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would say avoid modules with too many functions. Everyone loves Make Noise Maths but I found it a nightmare. Doepfer is a great starting point if you ask me. Buy more cables and a bigger case than you think you will need. 

If if you are looking to start your modular I am selling off the final few modules. Give me a shout if you decide to take the plunge ! 
    edited November 2018
    cpcompany said:
    I would say avoid modules with too many functions. Everyone loves Make Noise Maths but I found it a nightmare. Doepfer is a great starting point if you ask me. Buy more cables and a bigger case than you think you will need. 

I was about to post that Maths is an absolute 'must have', provided you learn how it works and don't just use it as an expensive and high HP LFO.

Definitely buy a bigger case than you think you need 2x84HP at a minimum.
    You need at least 20 cables.
    When I bought my first system I bought 5, which was laughable.
  • octatonic said:
    cpcompany said:
    I would say avoid modules with too many functions. Everyone loves Make Noise Maths but I found it a nightmare. Doepfer is a great starting point if you ask me. Buy more cables and a bigger case than you think you will need. 

I was about to post that Maths is an absolute 'must have', provided you learn how it works and don't just use it as an expensive and high HP LFO.

Definitely buy a bigger case than you think you need 2x84HP at a minimum.
    You need at least 20 cables.
    When I bought my first system I bought 5, which was laughable.
    I never really had the time to invest in Maths. I got to know the module a little bit, did the ping pong ball patch of course but quickly realised if you don’t use it a lot you forget how to use it well. 
    I'm about to buy a second Maths.

Check this out:

I've just bought a Pressure Points too- looking forward to seeing how that pans out.
  • octatonic said:
    I've just bought a Pressure Points too- looking forward to seeing how that pans out.
    I can’t use the touch pads as my hands are too dry. Bit of a pain. I had to get a doepfer joystick as a compromise which iended up being a really good module. 
    edited November 2018
    @cpcompany let's have a look at your rig.
    You on MW?
  • jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 114
    Great. Thanks chaps. Fortunately wife hasnt read this as im already up to 2k in 6 hours 
    thinking of basing it on the morphogene and a further control module like pamelas workout 
    this started by me thinking of getting an octatrack and never quite taking the plunge ‘cos it looked tortuous to programme. And ive already got logic so it was something to do soundscapes and rhythmic ‘ mutations’
    i think im more comfortable with this even tho more money, dunno why 
    i appreciate the advice , but im a little scared about doing it and not doing the playing enough, but we have that right?
    i will watch this thread and keep you posted 
  • octatonic said:
    @cpcompany let's have a look at your rig.
    You on MW?
    Yeah. I am on it , although these days I am a casual lurker.
    Think I deleted all the photos. Took some when I was selling it all off but if I have them on iCloud I will throw them up. 
  • @octatonic . This is how it was. I had it running with my Elektron A4 and Rytm . ONly have a handful of the modules to get rid of now.

Some cool modules there.
    Elements is fantastic.
    Installed the DFAM, Rainmaker, Yarns and a bunch of utility modules today.

This rig is a beast now.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Installed the DFAM, Rainmaker, Yarns and a bunch of utility modules today.

This rig is a beast now.

That looks cracking that . When’ are you buying your next case ?
    I've got the top one to fill first.
    Once that happens I'll buy another base and start building another tower.