IEMs, custom moulds vs standard

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
So Im after a set of IEMs as the stock Ld ones are poor. Ive had a set of moulded ear plugs from ACS and i think they may have my ear moulds on record so i wonder about having their basic system for 250 or having a pair of Shure 215s. 

Im abit stuck as of what to do!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    What kind of money do you have to spend?

Shure 215s are great - they're the best generic for sensible money..

However.. Customs have many advantages - better sound, due to multiple drivers, and high-end design; better isolation - cuts other stage volume meaning you can run the IEMs quieter, and WAY more bottom end due to better seal; also better comfort - much less tired ears if you do long gigs or day in day out..

Also tend to be more repairable (smaller manufacturers, higher service levels, much easier replacement cables etc)..
    And you know, if that floats your boat, you can have custom colours/artwork etc.. (or you can have clear, and they will be less noticeable than generics)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    In my experience Shure SE215s are pretty good. Current price is around £85. Custom fitted are going to be about five times as much. Here’s a thread where @bob21 ;discusses some alternatives:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/127326/talk-to-me-about-wireless-iems
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I got a secondhand pair of Shure 425’s off eBay for £120. They are well worth the upgrade over the 215s.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Ive seen 215s for £77 at the moment. ACS do some entry level ones for £250 so there is that but never thought about ebay if Im honest...
  • Jetfire said:
    Ive seen 215s for £77 at the moment. ACS do some entry level ones for £250 so there is that but never thought about ebay if Im honest...
    I also had the ACS Evolve Universal IEM’s. They were a step up over the Shure SE425’s. 

They are superb for sound quality and really shine on gigs. However I was terrified of losing the ear pieces. I dropped one at a gig once after the cable caught on something and detached from the earpiece. It took me about half an hour to find it. Plus the cable would tangle really easy.

So I moved mine on and bought the Shure 425’s.