The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Got my cast off, went to class and rolled. Hand hurt like a mother but I came away with a sub (we’ll ignore the two times I was subbed eh). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    grungebob said:
    Got my cast off, went to class and rolled. Hand hurt like a mother but I came away with a sub (we’ll ignore the two times I was subbed eh). 
    That's impressive. Is that the longest you've been off the mats? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    That's impressive. Is that the longest you've been off the mats? 
    Cheers. Yeah three weeks just stood there watching the guys, was very frustrating but it allowed me to see what each of them default to in a roll. 
    Didnt help me one bit lol.  
    Probably should still give it another week or more though as it’s hard to frame properly , have an effective mount escape or defend a rear naked. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286
    Sorry @randerson I didn’t see your post way back. 

I will see you down there at some point in the not too distant future. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Myranda said:

You know the system you're doing has been massively changed at least twice - Ip Man scrapped all the stuff seen as useless or pretty non-sense (It was after all a traditional Chinese martial art complete with long-form arm movements), then each and every one of his students got a different version that they then teach. That's assuming none else changed it after either a woman or a whole travelling circus invented the martial art
    If you know Wing Chun, you'll know that your statement depends on who you ask.  You'll also know that not all Wing Chun is Ip Man.

Wing Chun is its own worst enemy.  It's an art I love dearly, and has been good to me for ~20 years and had made me a better person; but it has an inglorious history (certainly that 1960-1990 Western explosion).  

For me, @beed84 is right about the "art".  Wing Chun for me has to be about more than hitting a dummy, or a sandbag, conditioning fists, learning moves.  There is a spiritual element to it, an understanding of internal balance.

At least, that's what I personally take from it.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    Most successful night of my BJJ journey tonight. 
    Won 3 out of 4 rolls 
    first was a cheeky gas out from some good side control pressure, second was an Americana from crucifix and the last was triangle from guard.  

Particularly pleased with the last as I’m a short arse and triangles are difficult for me.  
    grungebob said:
    Most successful night of my BJJ journey tonight. 
    Won 3 out of 4 rolls 
    first was a cheeky gas out from some good side control pressure, second was an Americana from crucifix and the last was triangle from guard.  

Particularly pleased with the last as I’m a short arse and triangles are difficult for me.  
    Nice work!!

What level are you sparring with?

I've started getting loads more submissions over the past few weeks and now competing with high white belts and blue belts.

My armbar from mount is catching everyone and my clock choke from knee on belly seems to work well too. Tapped a 4 stripe white belt twice in a roll last week. 
    All white belts but a mix of 3 stripes and no stripes like myself last night. 
    Still got my bad hand and surgery looks likely but I’m working around it ok it seems. 
    grungebob said:
    All white belts but a mix of 3 stripes and no stripes like myself last night. 
    Still got my bad hand and surgery looks likely but I’m working around it ok it seems. 
    Cool, we're at a similar sort of stage by the sounds of it.

I tweaked my knee last week, it's minor but i'm going to take this week off rolling to try to allow various other little niggles to heal up - fingers / shoulders / knee / toe / back - as I've been on the mats consitently for three months, two to three times per week.
    @Fuengi sounds like a good plan. 
    I was rolling with a dude last night who weighs 150kg, when he dropped on top of me it made every joint in my back click, for a second I thought holy fuck I’m dead but it actually all feels great today lol. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    I was rolling with a dude last night who weighs 150kg, when he dropped on top of me it made every joint in my back click, for a second I thought holy fuck I’m dead but it actually all feels great today lol. 
    We have four or five guys well over 100kgs, I am 12st 4lbs so try to limit the number of rolls with them, it's a loooong old 5 minutes!
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    We have four or five guys well over 100kgs, I am 12st 4lbs so try to limit the number of rolls with them, it's a loooong old 5 minutes!
    I hear ya, I’m only a little heavier than you 12.8st. It can feel like eternity underneath that mass. 
    grungebob said:

Have just worked out that 150kg is 23 stone! Had that happened to me they would have posted me home! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well had a follow up scan today on the hand. Snapped tendon. So it looks like surgery for me plus a bit of a lay off for BJJ and guitar. Double bummer. 
    grungebob said:
    Well had a follow up scan today on the hand. Snapped tendon. So it looks like surgery for me plus a bit of a lay off for BJJ and guitar. Double bummer. 
    Oh crikey! 

NHS or private? 
    NHS, I never opted in to my work bupa scheme. Doh 
    grungebob said:
    NHS, I never opted in to my work bupa scheme. Doh 
    Do tell them it is affecting your work then, it will bring the date forward. 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Having once gained a rotator cuff injury rolling in BJJ and experienced the temporary dropping of hobbies associated with an arm injury you have my sympathy
    Cheers guys. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Ouch.

Always keep your guard up...  This is from last night.

Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/