Cover Challenge #3 - official chat thread

What's Hot
flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
edited November 2018 in Making Music
Welcome to the third Fretboard Cover Challenge. The rules are simple - there are no rules*. 

We all start with the same song suggestion and record our own cover version. It's up to your imagination as to what you do with it. It could be faithful to the original or as out there as you wish. 

The idea is to share creativity and see how we end up with differing results from the exact same start point. Feel free to change key if needed for vocals. Feel free to go instrumental/spoken word/rap if singing isn't your thing. Feel free to share ideas in this thread or keep your hand close to your chest. Just have fun with it. 

The track to be covered has been chosen by the winner of the last challenge @IMC1980 and is... 

Drum roll...

SWEET ABOUT ME by Gabriella Cilmi

Yes. That's what has been chosen. Now get those creative juices flowing and see what you can come up with. 

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Monday 31st December. Yes. I know that's New Year's Eve so perhaps best not to leave it right until the last moment.

Only one entry per participant. 

A playlist of all the entries will be posted in the Voting Thread and you will have approximately one week to vote. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry. 

Unlike other challenges in the Cover Challenge the winner wins a prize - they get to choose the track to be covered for the next challenge. Please have ideas ready in advance as you will only have approximately 48hrs to PM your suggestion or The Management will decide for you. 

Good luck. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited November 2018
    Nice choice, I genuinely like that song so going to take part in this one after not doing the last.

The world is a better place when it's upside down
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I just watched the video of the original. It turns out that she was only 16 when that was recorded.

I now feel like I've been listening to a @poopot cover... Off for a cold shower...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Sent mine (was previously recorded, I have not suddenly become insanely productive!)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    IMC1980 said:
    Sent mine (was previously recorded, I have not suddenly become insanely productive!)
    Got it... Want me to post a playlist or wait till another entry?
  • Best to wait until we get a couple I think. I shouldn't be too long in getting an entry in. I knew very quickly what I'd do with it given the original groove. Already have most of the drums down down and some draft guitars recorded. Have a day off this week so should get vocals and hopefully most of the tracking done.

I'm recording it as if it was originally on the Offspring's album Smash (and if Dexter Holland had a cold and sang half an octave lower)

edited November 2018
    The best Offspring album IMO. Post the playlist when @flying_pie submits as well @poopot. Looking forward to hearing it!
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    edited November 2018
    OK, I've sent mine in.  Was tricky this one as I have to be honest, I don't like the song very much.  Anyhew, I've decided to do it like Pearl Jam in a Last Kiss style so be prepared for very bad Eddie Vedder impressions 

The other aim was to get a jammed feel to it so I set up Helix as a pedal board for the guitars and turned on stomps with automation and TRIED to do each part in one take.  Obviously that failed but unless it was a wrong chord or horribly out I've left the mistakes in.  See how we go eh?
    Got it... will upload a playlist laters!...
  • I'm with you there @Bezzer ;;This is an irritating as heck song to cover. I elected not to learn the words so I wouldn't have to listen to the original much and just read them off a sheet of paper.

Can't wait to hear it
  • Make that 3

@IMC1980 I ended up with a bit of Americana too (my other favorite Offspring album)
    Make that 3

@IMC1980 I ended up with a bit of Americana too (my other favorite Offspring album)
    Its in the list...
    Make that 3

Awesome! Great use of the pre-chorus at the end as well.
    @flying_pie that was a lot of fun man, really high energy!  Nice arrangement too, much braver than I was with it. And agree with IMC1980, love the use of the pre-chorus as an outro.
    @IMC1980 man you make me sick ha ha.  Always love your tracks, just great 90s rock vibe to it.  (intended as a compliment)
    Bezzer said:
    @IMC1980 man you make me sick ha ha.  Always love your tracks, just great 90s rock vibe to it.  (intended as a compliment)
    Likewise @Bezzer; your Eddie Vedder impression is very good! I take it as a compliment, most of the stuff I do sounds like it came for the 80s or 90s...
  • Cheers guys I'll join the collective love-in.

@bezzer not only is your Eddie Vedder impression quality but your Mike McCready is also on point. I have one complaint though - I was expecting an Alive length guitar solo at the end and it was way too short. I'll have you know I've been listening to a lot of Pearl Jam over the last couple of days

@IMC1980 brilliant,  as we're becoming accustomed to.  Can I ask what do you use for drums? Rhythm and fills aside they sound absolutely epic.

And the outro in my track was all down to @thecolourbox for typing the lyric in his post. My brain immediately stayed humming the "truth about the world is that crime does pay"  from Have You Ever

Can't wait to hear more versions still for this challenge. Loads of time left as its open until shortly before the bells at New Year
    You're too kind @flying_pie - I use bfd3 for drums, i haven't heard a drum VSTi that comes close to it IMO. I use a tweaked preset that is called technical metal.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited November 2018
    IMC1980 said:
    You're too kind @flying_pie - I use bfd3 for drums, i haven't heard a drum VSTi that comes close to it IMO. I use a tweaked preset that is called technical metal.

Is that the core library or one of the Expansions? I recently got BFD3 as an upgrade from BFD Eco at a 75% discount.

btw. I notice there's currently a 50% discount for a direct purchase.

It's not a competition.
    IMC1980 said:

Is that the core library or one of the Expansions? I recently got BFD3 as an upgrade from BFD Eco at a 75% discount.

btw. I notice there's currently a 50% discount for a direct purchase.

The preset is from the core library, I think it is the last in the list when you go to the presets tab on the left side.