PSA: mad discounts on mad expensive Taylors at Coda

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
If you're looking to spend crazy money on a Taylor then Coda have a few with thousands off under their Black Friday thing.

I don't particularly like Taylors, but I'm glad I'm a) skint and b) not around this weekend otherwise I might have some explaining to do.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Snags said:
    If you're looking to spend crazy money on a Taylor then Coda have a few with thousands off under their Black Friday thing.

I don't particularly like Taylors, but I'm glad I'm a) skint and b) not around this weekend otherwise I might have some explaining to do.
    Peach has a few too. Looks like they had a few Custom/BTOs in the distribution channel without the V-bracing that they probably want to get rid of...

The "cheapest" ones are the dreadnoughts... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    biggest discount:
    Taylor Custom Grand Orchestra #7099

£10,066.00

now

£5,279.00

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Wow! Didn’t know that Taylor did £10k guitars. That’s Premier League luthier prices isn’t it? 
    Although, thinking about it,Martin do their Brazilian doo-da fandango things for £20k+ I think. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    edited December 2018
    jellyroll said:
    Wow! Didn’t know that Taylor did £10k guitars. That’s Premier League luthier prices isn’t it? 
    exactly my issue
    you can get a top notch established luthier to hand-build you a guitar for £5k to £10k
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4123
    edited December 2018
    jellyroll said:
    exactly my issue
    you can get a top notch established luthier to hand-build you a guitar for £5k to £10k
    Surely what matters is the quality of the instrument, not at what point in the production process automation stopped being used. Even the most low tech traditional luthiers don't go and chew down the tree so at what point does it start to matter? There's no reason why the large manufacturers who have custom shops can't produce instruments of the same quality as single luthiers, and they do, most commonly with the "hand made" aspect starting a lot earlier in the process than makes a material difference. Assuming that you want the spec of the models that they are making, I don't see why £10k spent on a Taylor would have automatically been better spent on something made by one person. And as can be seen seemingly daily from the classified where fine hand-built instruments go for a miserable proportion of what they would have cost, it's not a bad decision from a financial/investment perspective too......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Agree there is no reason why a Taylor shouldn’t be as good as a handmade guitar.... but that’s not what one pays for. You pay for “Manzer” or “Kostal” on the headstock and the certainty that you are buying their expertise. And, like it or not, luthiery is partly art. Distilling it down to the quality of the build misses the point - you could buy a perfectly good drawing by a local artist for £100. Or you could buy one by Matisse which is technically no better for quite a lot more. 

Not convinced on the depreciation point. Yes, a luthier made guitar will suffer more depreciation than a “regular” Taylor (or Martin, etc) ....but an ultra high end £10k Taylor? Reckon one would take a serious hit. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    Surely if you spend £10K on a guitar, you do so as you like the thing and enjoy playing it. Why try to get your money back by selling it? At that price it is a keeper. Or am I missing something?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

They ALL start out as keepers....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Rocker said:
     At that price it is a keeper. 
    It had better be, you'd lose out big time on resale
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited December 2018
    This is just the acoustic equivalent of PRS Private Stock... a custom shop within a mass-market builder... you can do almost anything, hand-pick your woods if you have the time and travel budget, and it depreciates like a boulder in a lake because all that customisation means finding another person who wants that exact guitar for that price is impossible. But if you love it? Absolutely go for it.