Converting a Lemon Drop into a Lucy - PICS!

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Looks great. And this is one of my favourite posts now:
    DannyP said:

I know! I'll attack it with a jigsaw!

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/p1eces/Mobile%20Uploads/20140227_134942.jpg

Ooh, no. That doesn't look right.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    edited March 2014
    @lixarto - they are lovely guitars and I'm very fond of them, but truth be told none were crafted West of Jakarta

@adam_md - it was a good gig. Don't Let Me Down was back in the set for the first time in ages which made me happy

@WezV - thanks so much for that pic! My Lucy (which I may christen 'Loosely') is a brighter red in daylight but I can't seem to capture it on the camera phone. It was the installation of the rotomatics that really made it start to look 'right'.

@theprettydamned - it's OK. I could have been a bit more careful and patient with the black paint on the headstock which is a bit uneven and has bled around the edges. I guess I could see the finish line and got a bit impatient, but it's been a learning experience. The 3 piece neck and spiky lower horn mean that it won't fool any Gibson experts!

@imalone - that bit was a lot more nerve wracking than my blasé post suggests. Doing actual bodily harm to the guitar was a real point of no return!
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10230
    Nice job Danny.I've been following this thread as I've got a Vintage Lemon Drop that I'm stripping back to bare wood.Not an easy job.How difficult was it to remove the top vaneer to reveal the wood below?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    DannyP said:

@WezV - thanks so much for that pic! My Lucy (which I may christen 'Loosely') is a brighter red in daylight but I can't seem to capture it on the camera phone. It was the installation of the rotomatics that really made it start to look 'right'.

the colour could match perfectly, and i suspect it will be a closer match than those two pics show... completely different lighting!! 
    breakstuff;199719" said:
    Nice job Danny.I've been following this thread as I've got a Vintage Lemon Drop that I'm stripping back to bare wood.Not an easy job.How difficult was it to remove the top vaneer to reveal the wood below?
    Well getting the finish off was no problem. I tried to remove a poly finish once before and it was a nightmare involving heat gun, nitromors, sander etc. but the finish on both lemondrops mentioned on this thread came off easily with manual sanding.

The veneer is obvs more tricky but it wasn't THAT bad.

I used an orbital sander and it took an afternoon.

If you using an orbital sander like me, be careful of using really rough grit paper once you are nearly down to the wood. If you get the little circular sander scratch marks in the top itself its a pain to get rid of them.

Another mistake i made was to linger too long with the sander either side of the body end of the fretboard. I ended up wearing little valleys in the top, and still ended up having to do the bits right next to the neck binding by hand using @Wezv 's method of gluing sand paper onto a block with the edge of the paper flush with the edge of the block. If i did it again, i'd invest the time and elbow grease in doing that whole area by hand from the outset.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Cheers for the thread! it has been entertaining, and a really excellent-looking result. Impressed by just how close you've got to the appearance of George's guitar, brilliant work. :)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10230
    Thanks Danny,I'll bare all that in mind when I do the top.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Great job!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Great thread. Love the way it's turned, really good job. I am eyeing my Tokai/Gibbo for a re-finish now!
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    DannyP said:
    Ah pickups. That's had me scratching my head a bit. The existing Wilkinson ones have that really naff 80s looking Wilkinson logo on them.
    As the guitar has been out of action so long, I kind of forgot how good sounding they are and I started daydreaming about buying replacements.
    BUT I've strung it up and plugged it in today and they really do sound fine.
    So I might just get some replacement axesrus nickel PAF covers so that I can get rid of the horrid logo.
    I want to gig it for the first time on Sunday so it will stay as it is for a short while at least.
    The printing on the pup covers is easy to get off as it doesn't adhere well to the chrome plate. I bought a cheap vintage SG off the bay and got rid of the logo with a cotton bud and some acetone free nail polish remover. It took only a couple of minutes per pup to get rid of it. Watch your nice new paintwork though. It looks great by the way, nice job
    The logos on the pickups I've got are actually embossed, so they won't scrub off, sadly. I've got used to them a bit now.
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    That's a bit of a bugger, but I guess they aren't that noticeable on stage
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Wow, just read all of this. Excellent job!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.