Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

About bloody time too !

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Beats me why Joe Public doesn't respond this way. Moped riders are vulnerable and there is little need to be afraid of them, unless the pillion has a gun.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16003
    Only trouble is that a car has to catch them or get close in the first place ; the reason they get away is because the scooters are so much more manoeuvrable in Urban environments.
     Very few are "mopeds" ...the majority are very fast 400 and 250cc scooters .
    Harpoon ?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    Beats me why Joe Public doesn't respond this way. Moped riders are vulnerable and there is little need to be afraid of them, unless the pillion has a gun.

or a tiger.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:
    Beats me why Joe Public doesn't respond this way. Moped riders are vulnerable and there is little need to be afraid of them, unless the pillion has a gun.

or a tiger.
    That would be a circus act.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    Wot Bruv Wot Wot WHAT NOW PUSSYOLE..CRUNCH.. ..MUMMYYYYyyy!!......SPLAT...

I feel sorry for the disaffected yoof of today, its societys fault innit..
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    They should consider themselves lucky.  If this were the US, they'd be on the receiving end of a Glock 17 instead of a nudge from a plastic bumper.  It's not often I applaud the police, but in this case, it's well deserved.  Finally someone had the balls to impliment a controversial policy.

If only they'd find those balls to deal with the travellers who nick everything that isn't nailed down instead of kissing their arses and turning a blind eye to everything they get up to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    And, as if by magic, the Met are now being investigated...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46321720
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • PC_Dave said:

... presumably because some hand-wringing do-gooder has whinged about "duty of care" in similar manner to them that don't like it if a burglar gets hurt while trying to nick your stuff.

I think we should be allowed to stop them by any means necessary. (them = burglars, moped thieves and similar undesirables)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Seems entirely appropriate to investigate. This is the sort of thing that needs to be used appropriately.

Exactly the same as how if you kill a burglar they arrest you and investigate .
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Now, while I don't approve of stealing or yoofs on moped doing bad things... 

Young black thief killed by armed police - BLACK LIVES MATTER YOU MONSTERS!!!!
    Young helmeted (so we can't see their skin colour) thief-on-moped rammed off the road by car - WOOHOO WELL DONE RUN THEM OVER MORE!!! CRUSH THEIR SKULLS UNDER YOUR WHEELS, AND LET THE PUBLIC JOIN IN TOO!!!

I feel that the internet should get its rhetoric straight ...

So far as we know the teenagers on moped are doing mostly petty theft, or handbag snatching - certainly upsetting for the victim, but they'll live, so maybe driving cars into them with the possible outcome of killing them might be ludicrously excessive force?

PC_Dave said:

... presumably because some hand-wringing do-gooder has whinged about "duty of care" in similar manner to them that don't like it if a burglar gets hurt while trying to nick your stuff.

I think we should be allowed to stop them by any means necessary. (them = burglars, moped thieves and similar undesirables)
    Handbag stolen ... MACHINE GUN THEM TO DEATH!! Littering then getting away on a moped? Nuke them and ignore any collateral damage!

Forget duty of care, how about proportionate response? We don't have the death sentence here in the UK, and we don't use torture or violent corporal punishment like snapping limbs, or scraping peoples skin off with pavement. Driving a car into a moped rider could result in broken bones, lose of skin, loss of fingers/limbs, death etc. Are we ok with teenagers maybe being permanently injured over petty crime?

I will re-iterate I don't approve of stealing, I don't think moped yoofs should be impervious capture, but I also think that stupid teens who have gone and done something stupid and criminal probably shouldn't be run over by the police - especially as some innocent people ride mopeds and in the dark most moped-ists look alike, if the police were given the wrong licence plate and run over an innocent because we have a new run-people-over-and-try-to-convict-later policy we might find our friends/relatives have been killed by the police because they were misidentified ... or it could become the next SWATing - phone in a fake report about someone you know rides a moped maybe the police will drive a car over their face because that's what the public demands now...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    How do you have a high speed pursuit of a moped?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16003
    They're not petty crime
    the bunch that did the jewellers in Brent x got away with £400,000 of Rolex watches 
    A drug dealer caught with £400k of Coke would get about 15 years
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    I think the majority of the country think this is a good thing.

There will be a tiny % who think it's wrong.  

The tiny % will win when a police car paralyses one of the moped thieves.  The newspapers and TV will also be all over it.  Hardly anything will be made of the fantastic reduction in moped crime and no doubt the paralysed moped thief will win a substantial six figure sum compensation. 

If he wasn't thieving using a moped, then he would still be walking. That's the way I look at it.

And while they're at it, get stuck into those knife crime kids. Instead of Khan saying' We're not going to get on top of it for 10 years', how about warning that anyone caught on da streetz with an illegal knife will be forced to share a prison cell with Donkey-Dick-Duncan, the Scottish Super-Heavyweight Naked Wrestling Champion of 1975, jailed in 1980 for crimes against anal orrifices with blunt instruments.  

News has it that Duncan likes working with rolling pins and marrows in the prison kitchen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Shrews said:

The tiny % will win when a police car paralyses one of the moped thieves. 

No. No-one wins when that happens  which is why it is right for the tactic to be investigated, and used if/where appropriate.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    Sporky said:
    Shrews said:

The tiny % will win when a police car paralyses one of the moped thieves. 

No. No-one wins when that happens  which is why it is right for the tactic to be investigated, and used if/where appropriate.

No, nobody wins, but it could be argued that the public wins.

Trouble is, if the police are ramming a moped up the backside at speed, then there is a risk of paralysis (and death of course).  However controlled it might be, if people are knocked off bikes at speed then there is a risk of paralysis.

In good old risk management. What's the likelihood ?  High, I'd guess.

Trouble is it also gets weighed up versus the risk if they do nothing. The likelihood of serious injury and death to the public is surely even higher because the collision wouldn't be controlled.

Uncontrolled collision is surely a higher risk than a controlled one?

And what if the police have the opportunity to knock someone off but choose not to, fearing the consequences of that action and then the moped thrashes into a woman and her baby on a zebra crossing somewhere.

Therefore, and all jokes aside (Donkey Duncan etc!) then I think the risk is worth it.

But my main point is that it'll be such an interest generating news story in our 24 hour news world that it will appear that the police are at fault.....and then we can kiss goodnight to the practice and the crimes will start to rise again.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    It's not as if they are slamming into them at 'obliteration speed' - a moped is a very easy vehicle to disable with the gentlest of nudges.  Personally, I'd be happier running the small risk of a criminal getting injured at a low speed than the inevitable far far greater risk of an innocent person getting seriously injured by one of these scrotes doing 60 trying to evade a pursuing police car - or - the ongoing risk of innocent folk getting their stuff stolen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited November 2018
    Break the law, get punished, simples. Who cares if they break a few bones, don't steal off people, if the cretins didn't thieve and then drive away they wouldn't be knocked off and risk the damage. The drop in moped related crime since they started doing it is hardly coincidental, good on the police. It's about time we started getting tougher.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Once again, not a single person run over has by our legal definition been guilty of a crime when the police are running them down.

Not every report of crime is 100% accurate... Maybe the caller gets the licence plate wrong, and a perfectly innocent person on a moped is violently murdered by a policeman with a car... Maybe the "crime" was a movie being filmed and a film star is paralysed for your bloodlust... Maybe the police just hear the call and misidentify the the moped as the next moped they see... All three of these scenarios are based on mistakes that have happened - does anyone want to hear a friend or loved one has had their lives ruined by police who are chasing the Daily Mail vote? And don't give me the "if they don't run they won't get run over". Non-sense several of those impacts filmed were head on. 

What about pedestrians? Police car swerves to run down a teen that stole a handbag and runs over your grandmother killing her... Well at least the toerag that did a steal is in jail... 

How about some things that might not be so dangerous? Paintball guns for the police with indelible ink to mark suspects so that if they get away they will be identifiable (thinking along the lines of the dye packs used to catch back robbers... Blueman group step of a more they're pretty easy to see), or mopeds/motocross bikes for the police - then the baddies aren't more manoeuvrable so a sensible speed chase occurs and you arrest them at the other end. There two ways to look to tackle moped crime that doesn't involve driving cars over fucking teenagers... And that's at 6:30 on a Sunday from one person, maybe the entire metropolitan police force could brainstorm a way to tackle crime that doesn't involve possible human rights violations or maiming possible innocent lives...

We're not America we would probably like to think ourselves safe from our police because we don't encourage them towards running people over prior to any evidence of a crime is presented and scrutinised... Or perhaps you'd rather live in a world where you and your loved ones risk violent deaths or permanent injuries every time they leave their home simply because or police force are getting gung-ho to appease the daily mail readership.

Dominic said:
    They're not petty crime
    the bunch that did the jewellers in Brent x got away with £400,000 of Rolex watches 
    Oh well, if one crime is the majority of crimes then its not a problem its it... 

Even if it were, we don't drive cars over drug dealers we arrest them, try them in a court and if guilty we imprison them...

The drive away from a crime is not a court room, and we rightly don't trust individual police officers to be judge and jury (except in extreme situations of imminent danger to life - and we still investigate all of those to make sure they did things correctly!)... The bar for entry into the police is not high enough to place that level of power in their hands - its why few of our police are armed and why armed officers aren't sent to every crime. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Myranda said:
    Once again, not a single person run over has by our legal definition been guilty of a crime when the police are running them down.

Not every report of crime is 100% accurate... Maybe the caller gets the licence plate wrong, and a perfectly innocent person on a moped is violently murdered by a policeman with a car... Maybe the "crime" was a movie being filmed and a film star is paralysed for your bloodlust... Maybe the police just hear the call and misidentify the the moped as the next moped they see... All three of these scenarios are based on mistakes that have happened - does anyone want to hear a friend or loved one has had their lives ruined by police who are chasing the Daily Mail vote? And don't give me the "if they don't run they won't get run over". Non-sense several of those impacts filmed were head on. 

What about pedestrians? Police car swerves to run down a teen that stole a handbag and runs over your grandmother killing her... Well at least the toerag that did a steal is in jail... 

How about some things that might not be so dangerous? Paintball guns for the police with indelible ink to mark suspects so that if they get away they will be identifiable (thinking along the lines of the dye packs used to catch back robbers... Blueman group step of a more they're pretty easy to see), or mopeds/motocross bikes for the police - then the baddies aren't more manoeuvrable so a sensible speed chase occurs and you arrest them at the other end. There two ways to look to tackle moped crime that doesn't involve driving cars over fucking teenagers... And that's at 6:30 on a Sunday from one person, maybe the entire metropolitan police force could brainstorm a way to tackle crime that doesn't involve possible human rights violations or maiming possible innocent lives...

We're not America we would probably like to think ourselves safe from our police because we don't encourage them towards running people over prior to any evidence of a crime is presented and scrutinised... Or perhaps you'd rather live in a world where you and your loved ones risk violent deaths or permanent injuries every time they leave their home simply because or police force are getting gung-ho to appease the daily mail readership.

Dominic said:
    They're not petty crime
    Oh well, if one crime is the majority of crimes then its not a problem its it... 

Even if it were, we don't drive cars over drug dealers we arrest them, try them in a court and if guilty we imprison them...

The drive away from a crime is not a court room, and we rightly don't trust individual police officers to be judge and jury (except in extreme situations of imminent danger to life - and we still investigate all of those to make sure they did things correctly!)... The bar for entry into the police is not high enough to place that level of power in their hands - its why few of our police are armed and why armed officers aren't sent to every crime. 
    The plods aren't going to ram you without any warning.  They will put their blue lights on and tell you to pull over.  You are requireds to stop when pulled over.  A law abiding person will stop.  They very fact that they ride off at high speed is a bit of a giveaway.

Your idea about indelible ink is already happening.  If you read some of the articles on this, they are spraying them with some kind of DNA marker.

The big problem here is that the kids on the mopeds were deliberately taking their helmets off, because previously the police wouldn't chase them when they did this.  There has been a change of policy so that the police can still chase them.  If you take your helmet off, and suffer an injury as a result, it is now your own fault - which seems fair enough.

I am a bit worried that I find myself in agreement with @Emp_Fab though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom