Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

About bloody time too !

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27573
    Boromedic said:
    The drop in moped related crime since they started doing it is hardly coincidental
    I'm not sure that's been established.

People have become more aware of the scooter crime thing, so are perhaps being more careful and aware, making it a less successful tactic fir the thieves. As such it's hard to be certain what's really had the impact. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    Straw man argument.

We are discussing the pursuit of moped riders who are obviously trying to evade the police.

That does not mean “shooting anyone they don’t like the look of” anymore than me saying “you are making a straw man argument” means “you are a lefty idiot who would let all the rapists out of prison”.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's not as if they are slamming into them at 'obliteration speed' - a moped is a very easy vehicle to disable with the gentlest of nudges.  Personally, I'd be happier running the small risk of a criminal getting injured at a low speed than the inevitable far far greater risk of an innocent person getting seriously injured by one of these scrotes doing 60 trying to evade a pursuing police car - or - the ongoing risk of innocent folk getting their stuff stolen.
    Exactly it's the balance of risk.  Moped crime is becoming a problem in London, ultimately the police will get to a point where they can't pursue, so when they get a shot at a non-lethal takedown, they should take it.

Dealing with gang crime is incredibly difficult for the police and will inevitably get worse.  A friend summed it up for me as "these kids grow up with out the love and connection of a family, so they go out and find it in the gangs".

That family bond will be almost impossible to break, even when it leads to violence and murder.  In all honestly nicking someone's mobile is pretty mild compared to what they do to each other.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Some of these moped gangs are stealing stones from historical/archaeological sites.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Kilgore said:
    Some of these moped gangs are stealing stones from historical/archaeological sites.
    Excellent work ! Bravo sir !!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Some people really need to take a reality check, it's not about blood lust it's about the police being able to do their job. Do you think they're just randomly ramming teenagers off mopeds for god's sake? Then you laughably compare us to Daily Fail readers!! Hahaha nice try, don't think thats me. I grew up on estates riddled with crime, it only started to get better when the police took a hard-line (Ray Mallon at the time pushed US style policies). We used to get stopped all the time by the police, we never ran as we weren't always up to no good. 

No one is advocating Judge Dredd but you're creating a straw man argument as Emp says. Like these cretins who defend car thieves who are injured running from the cops. It's pretty simple, don't break the law and then you don't have to be injured. Or stop when the cops ask you to instead of running away. 

The other argument is remove some of the motivations, we really need to legalise all drugs. We previously had a system that worked well till we allowed the US to take charge of our strategies. It's not a panacea, but it will help massively if you remove the profit from illegal drugs. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Boromedic said:
    The drop in moped related crime since they started doing it is hardly coincidental
    I'm not sure that's been established.

People have become more aware of the scooter crime thing, so are perhaps being more careful and aware, making it a less successful tactic fir the thieves. As such it's hard to be certain what's really had the impact. 
    So I'm pretty sure the tactics from the police have had an impact. Not just the public being more careful, as it's a pretty decent drop yes it may be a multifaceted reason, but it's clearly had an impact. 

Here's a question, how many of those against these kind of tactics, have been on the receiving end of criminal behaviour? 

Boromedic said:
    Here's a question, how many of those against these kind of tactics, have been on the receiving end of criminal behaviour? 
    And for balance, how many who are in favour of the police using cars as weapons have ever witnessed the police being dicks? 

Or maybe we stick to discussing the topic, not each other? 
    Maybe for balance, some of you should try putting yourselves in the polices shoes? I've seen both sides of the coin, it's not cut and dried or black and white. Yes I've seen cops being dicks, I've been on the receiving end of it before. That being said I wouldn't do their job for a kings ransom either. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16010
    Yeah.............knocking mopeds over........it could be some poor Traffic Warden..........Oh ,just realised that's just another kind of mugger ( inner London people will know what I mean )
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    edited December 2018
    Didn’t take long...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46440172

The Officer could be charged with GBH. 

I cant even be bothered anymore. This country can do one.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Could be.

Don't let the media jerk you around. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ridiculous, we don't even have enough police officers, these bullshit charges make retention of the current lot even more difficult. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited December 2018
    Sporky said:
    Boromedic said:
    And for balance, how many who are in favour of the police using cars as weapons have ever witnessed the police being dicks? 

Or maybe we stick to discussing the topic, not each other? 
    I'm actually with @Emp_Fab on this and personally I think the police should carry a sledgehammer to smash the craniums of these delinquents and remove them from the gene pool.

However back to the real world. The police don't just drive round knocking people off scooters to see if they can fit them up. It's a way of ending a dangerous pursuit. The police will put on the lights and sirens and an innocent scooter rider will stop. The criminals will run and start a dangerous pursuit.

Check on the scooter crime stats. Even Savid Javid was robbed. Since these tactics have been introduced scooter crime has fallen, although the criminals have moved elsewhere. Lawlessness is on the rise driven by Eastern European gangs (my neighbour and his wife were Met Officers).

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I thought that any time a police officer caused injury to a civilian there had to be an investigation by the PCC.

I could be wrong, it's been a while since I paid attention.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    Judge Dredd returns. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Fretwired said:
    However back to the real world. The police don't just drive round knocking people off scooters to see if they can fit them up. It's a way of ending a dangerous pursuit. ...
    That may be your perception, but many of us have been led to a much less positive view of the police as a result of our interactions with certain police officers.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    mart said:
    Fretwired said:
    However back to the real world. The police don't just drive round knocking people off scooters to see if they can fit them up. It's a way of ending a dangerous pursuit. ...
    That may be your perception, but many of us have been led to a much less positive view of the police as a result of our interactions with certain police officers.
    Yawn. If the police car doesn't have flashing lights and a siren and then knocks someone off a scooter they are breaking the law.  The scooter rider has to be running from the police.

What's the alternative? Crime is out of control in the UK and police are pretty much hampered.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom