Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale, live in Denmark 2006

What's Hot
Never been a big fan of PH but this is amazing 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM

“Ken sent me.”
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    The No. 1 single when I was born. I've always loved it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great Chord sequence based on Bach I believe 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • sure is amazing have a wow

yes the original idea came from JS Bach but even he didn't have the holy sound of the Hammond to play with! (just think what use he'd have put it to)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The No. 1 single when I was born. I've always loved it...
    I was two when it first came out. Brings a tear to my eyes
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited November 2018
    Love this song, and, indeed, Procul Harum's first two LP's (as they were in them days long ago). I was spending a year at a French University between finishing school, and going to Uni when "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" came out. Sounded amazing when I first heard it, and have loved it ever since.

There's an instrumental called "Repent Walpurgis", which I also particularly like, especially when the guitar comes back in for the second time after the quieter piano section.
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 129
    I do like the original but this particular version by King Curtis gives me goosebumps every time I hear it

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited November 2018
    Regarding the original post - great clip.

A bit of name dropping, but I used to jam with the drummer (Mark) and his brother Steve at a school in Stanwell in my twenties about 40 years ago. Even then we knew he was destined for greater things.

Also, the organist (Josh) depped a few times for a covers band I was in.  A remarkable musician who seemed to be able to play anything anyone cared to mention. Not only playing on the spot by ear, but also seeming to follow/predict where unfamiliar songs were going on the fly. 

It's not a competition.
  • MattWMattW Frets: 80
    My first year of university I shared a house with a load of random strangers. One of the girls living there went back home for a friends birthday one weekend and came back complaining that the party was ruined as her friend’s dad had his band play. Apparently they’d had some hit in the distant past and so played their one hit song all the time.

A few weeks later she came into my room for something and I had A Whiter Shade of Pale playing in the background and she started ranting about it being ‘that same stupid song’ her friend’s dad played all the time. I’d like to say I cut off all contact at that point but she was fit and I thought I had a chance.

I didn’t. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom