Should I sell my LP?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Yeah, I am torn about LPs. I love the look and the tone, all my heroes played them and whenever I see someone playing one they look so comfy. But when I pick it up it feels like a big heavy awkward lump with a short neck and I can't see the fretboard the way I am used to because the whole thing sits further away from my body than other guitars. I can get used to it and it feels fine after a while. But I always reach for a different guitar when I fancy a quick play.
    Just sell it. It doesn’t make you happy, and thinking about it not making you happy is making you not happy, or you wouldn’t have posted this ;).
    Shitting shit. Tried to sell it again but couldn't go through with it. Again.

I need psychological help.
    (Even if you’re joking :).)

Don’t play it, don’t even open the case, just sell it. Use the money to buy a guitar you like, if you really need another one...

Don’t fall into the trap of using the guitar your heroes did if it doesn’t suit you. We’re all different, and what fits one person doesn’t necessarily work for another. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    Yeah, I am torn about LPs. I love the look and the tone, all my heroes played them and whenever I see someone playing one they look so comfy. But when I pick it up it feels like a big heavy awkward lump with a short neck and I can't see the fretboard the way I am used to because the whole thing sits further away from my body than other guitars. I can get used to it and it feels fine after a while. But I always reach for a different guitar when I fancy a quick play. 

Maybe that's the issue here. 

Why not give it a really good go i.e put all your other guitars away and just play that one for six months.  You will likely become a lot more comfortable and familiar with it.

When that period is out of the way, then you will 'really' know whether it's for you or not. Let the Mrs know this is exactly what you're going to do and at least then if it doesn't work out then she knows you've made a proper decision and doesn't think the decision is fad-like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    dazzajl said:
    Freebird said:
    Everybody should have a Les Paul under the bed.
    I have Les Dennis in the basement 
    @dazzajl I call FAKE NEWS! @TheOtherDennis wouldn't have sold you it!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    edited November 2018
    If you sell a good Les Paul, it'll piss you off big time and more so than any other guitar.

It's the Precision bass of the guitar world.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Schnozz said:
    If you sell a good Les Paul, it'll piss you off big time and more so than any other guitar.

It's the Precision Bass of the world.
    Yep. Regret selling mine all the time!
  • Well, I'm holding on to it for the moment. Thing is, it's quite a nice example with cool features like the coil splits, phase switch and that 'blow' switch that gives you the direct bridge pup -> output. And I know I will continue to lust after LPs if I sell it. SO I might as well keep a nice one, since I have it.
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    I think a trick is being missed here. The Mrs wants you to keep it, and you are concerned it is just sitting there unused as a lump of cash in a case.

Flog the LP and but the Mrs something nice for Christmas with the money (jewellery, nothing electrical!). Tell her you wanted to sell it to buy her something nice. You get rid of something you don't want, don't need to find extra cash for Christmas presents for her, and placate the Mrs to the tune of so much happy sex and good cooking. Then buy something you really want in the sales with the Christmas present money you haven't had to find!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • deano said:
    I think a trick is being missed here. The Mrs wants you to keep it, and you are concerned it is just sitting there unused as a lump of cash in a case.

Flog the LP and but the Mrs something nice for Christmas with the money (jewellery, nothing electrical!). Tell her you wanted to sell it to buy her something nice. You get rid of something you don't want, don't need to find extra cash for Christmas presents for her, and placate the Mrs to the tune of so much happy sex and good cooking. Then buy something you really want in the sales with the Christmas present money you haven't had to find!
    I'd give this 1000 Wiz's if I could. May all your points be brown, forever!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Keeping a guitar that you love so much that you don't dare play is absolutely fine.
    Keeping a guitar that you don't enjoy playing is a complete waste of money and space.

Sell it and enjoy the nice feeling of a lump of cash sitting in your pocket waiting to be spent on something you really want.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I toyed with selling my tokai es130 for years  it was a lovely guitar. I just didn't get on with the 335 guitar shape. 
    I kind of regret selling it. It's done now and I've even thought about selling more guitars. Being on this forum does make it easier to justify owning multiples of guitars. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • OK, I'm definitely selling now.

:)
  • OK, I'm definitely selling now.

:)
    Don't believe you ;-)
  • Quite right too. :)
  • Anyone want to buy it? :)
  • DLM said:
    dazzajl said:
    Freebird said:
    Everybody should have a Les Paul under the bed.
    I have Les Dennis in the basement 
    @dazzajl I call FAKE NEWS! @TheOtherDennis wouldn't have sold you it!
    He's not wrong :D

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh FFS. Done it again. I basically agreed to sell it to someone and was going to drop it off next week but I made the mistake of taking it out to compare the tone to my PRS (coz of the PRS thread on here so it's your fault really) and...man, those things do sound good, don't they? Arse.

How much of a c**t does it make me to back out of a sale? I think I might have to go through with it, having agreed to it and all, although no money has changed hands yet or anything. But I got this one for 1500 back in 2016 and looking at the prices of these things now, if I ever wanted another one again...which, let's face it, is bound to happen.

Anyone recommend a good therapist? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Chat to the buyer. Tell him your situation and see if he's ok about it. He might well be fine about it.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    any reasonable person will be OK with you having a change of heart. give him dibs should you have another.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I bought a LP Gold Top on the proviso that the original owner had first dibs ;)

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    My strategy has been to buy whatever I want but the Mrs gets the proceeds when I sell. 

Seems to work for a happy household!