Cream...the next generation on tour

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
Just seem an advert pop up on my facebook feed from a local venue advertising "The Music of Cream 50th Anniversary World Tour"...featuring descendants of Baker/Bruce/Clapton, so a tribute band with family connections.

Anyone seem these guys before?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    edited June 2018
    Have just read about this myself. Bruce's son, Clapton's nephew (his Dad is/was the late Andy Johns) but Kofi Baker is not in it, Chris Page is the drummer at the moment it sez here......They call themselves Fresh Cream.
    And (you probably know already) the new Bonamassa set is a tribute to the era with several Cream tracks on it.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I’ve looked into a bit more and i’ll be there for sure. I’ve an uncle in NZ who saw them their and highly recommendeds it. 

https://www.musicofcream.com/

that lists the line up with Kofi, and it being a multi-media show with unseen original band footage etc. Sounds like it could be fun. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Booked and got seats too................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    rlw said:
    Booked and got seats too................
    I'm going to the Leamington show.

Looks like quite an extensive US tour before they get to the UK, so if they're anything like their forefathers they'll all hate each other by then and be on the verge of splitting up ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

Has anyone heard anything Will Johns has played on?  I was aware of Malcolm Bruce, I've got one or two of his dad's albums that he played guitar on, but Mr Johns is an unknown quantity to me.

• Tonight in Leamington...

https://youtu.be/AUoD9ZYEEQg
    I'm trying to almost give away tickets for the Forum in London tomorrow night but we're all so cool here that nobody actually goes to gigs..............
  • Well that was excellent. 

Much better than I had expected, all 3 of them. I was unsure about Will Johns but he was great. 

Kofi was channeling his father for sure...Toad was immense. 

Malcom Bruce played and sung just like his dad (ok, maybe missing some of the power of his dad’s vocals but so close). 

Brilliant set list, some great jamming....only downside was Johns and Bruce’s dress sense!
    Glad you enjoyed and I would love to see them tonight but can’t ......
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Not sure how I feel about this .. it's just a tribute band. They sound like talented musicians - why not do something fresh and new? I sound like a grumpy old git but even if they released some new music in the style of Cream it would be a start.

I'm sure they're a good band and that if I went to see them I'd enjoy it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    Not sure how I feel about this .. it's just a tribute band. They sound like talented musicians - why not do something fresh and new? I sound like a grumpy old git but even if they released some new music in the style of Cream it would be a start.

I'm sure they're a good band and that if I went to see them I'd enjoy it.
    Because noone gives a shit about original music these days  theirs too much out there and no chance of "making it" what they're doing is an assured revenue stream and a full/sold out show, you don't get that these days with original bands, I stepped away last year and it was the best thing I did, if it was the 90s I would  have made a living, now it's just a joke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Because noone gives a shit about original music these days  theirs too much out there and no chance of "making it" what they're doing is an assured revenue stream and a full/sold out show, you don't get that these days with original bands, I stepped away last year and it was the best thing I did, if it was the 90s I would  have made a living, now it's just a joke.
    I don't completely agree with this as these guys are connected. I also hang on on some Facebook groups which promote new bands via Bandcamp - new music is alive and well if you no where to look. The likes of the BBC's not interested but there are some decent bands out there - probably not making a fortune.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • @Fretwired ;New music is alive and well yes but making money from it is not, and hasn't been for atleast 8 years