Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why would anyone buy a vinyl playing setup?

What's Hot

Comments

• munckee said:
    My 13 year old daughter wants a record player and some vinyl for christmas as its so cool that you have to lift a needle and actually put in on a spinning disc!

I'll get her my billy bragg and the jam lps that I got for 20p each from the library out of the loft in the late 80s, have a few 90s soup dragons/stone roses as well up there I think.

My daughter is the same, she wants to to start buying LP's and listen to Non Simon Cowell music :) Wish i had kept my Jam LPS now, stupid me went and sold the lot for CD's.
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    guitartango said:

My daughter is the same, she wants to to start buying LP's and listen to Non Simon Cowell music :) Wish i had kept my Jam LPS now, stupid me went and sold the lot for CD's.
    When my daughter recently discovered she liked Queen, it was very easy for me to simply transfer my ripped CDs to her phone. (Yes, I know that's technically illegal... but I did at least buy the CDs originally, when they weren't that cheap.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    That's the hobby side of it. Collecting and listening to records is a hobby. I'm sure we can all relate to that :-)

There's nothing wrong with having a hobby, or enjoying records, etc. but please spare me the "vinyl is better than digital" crap. :)

R.
    It seems to be mostly older audiophiles who never made the switch to CD who will claim this. Hipsters tend to be more concerned with the music than the reproduction of it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Downloads for me. Much safer in our house. you cant get hit in the face with one.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • On a site where people applaud £3k guitars when 6 £500 epiphones and Squiers would be more convenient and versatile, I'm not sure picking faults in the hobbys of people who buy and listen to music in a particular way is all that fair a target ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    I don't think six guitars is more convenient than one. The straps get tangled up and it's hard to work out which to strum to match the one you're fretting, and it's very heavy to have them all on at once.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    I like my LP's as I've had them since my teens, I still listen to them frequently and buy albums occasionally, I also buy and listen to CD's and listen to Spotify.

I don't consider one format to be better than any other, but am no audiophile, I just like music.

I do however like the muscle memory and childhood nostalgia of lifting the needle and hearing the crackle before the music starts.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • THE FINAL WORD: DOWNLOADS DON'T HAVE A COVER YOU CAN SKIN UP ON
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    THE FINAL WORD: DOWNLOADS DON'T HAVE A COVER YOU CAN SKIN UP ON
    No but the size phone screens are getting now you can skin up on those.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    On a site where people applaud £3k guitars when 6 £500 epiphones and Squiers would be more convenient and versatile, I'm not sure picking faults in the hobbys of people who buy and listen to music in a particular way is all that fair a target ;)
    That's true, but when the site was set up the URL "thehypocrisyboard.co.uk" was taken...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    edited November 2018

@Phil_aka_Pip name the band / album - 5 points. Came with a CD.

No automatic alt text available

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • @blobb ; no idea. but a physical medium with a cover was still involved ;) you could do a short spliff on a CD cover. Is that one divided up for roach?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • THE FINAL WORD: DOWNLOADS DON'T HAVE A COVER YOU CAN SKIN UP ON
    No but the size phone screens are getting now you can skin up on those.
    tablets, yes. maybe a smartphone but IMO that's as fiddly as a CD case and you're just as likely to lose your stash on the floor.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Ozrics - Curious corn. I think it's perforated so you can write peoples phone numbers on and tear off a section, or something like that. Like the same way Jurassic shift album cover was made out of Hemp for environmental reasons!
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    blobb said:
    Ozrics - Curious corn. I think it's perforated so you can write peoples phone numbers on and tear off a section, or something like that. Like the same way Jurassic shift album cover was made out of Hemp for environmental reasons!
    I’ve got both of those. Not played then in a good while. May dust the down tomorrow night :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Sporky said:
    I don't think six guitars is more convenient than one. The straps get tangled up and it's hard to work out which to strum to match the one you're fretting, and it's very heavy to have them all on at once.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Well, OK, if it's good enough for Rik Mayall...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    roberty said:
    I'm more likely to sit through a whole album if I put a record on, sometimes I'll flip it a few times and listen more than once
    Yes.  Same here.  The ritual of getting a drink, putting on a record, and just sitting back to listen to it.  That's why I like vinyl.

I like streaming services too, but I'm a terrible skipper of tracks.  Either that or I'm half-listening while doing boring tasks at work or sitting on the train.
  • Interesting thread. I have a small collection of vinyl from the last few years, maybe not more than 30, ready to use when I finally settle down and can buy a record player.

I've been thinning down my CD collection in the meantime to just the "really" good ones, I'm still debating proceeding with the whole vinyl thing.

I've kept the CDs I'll sit down and listen to as an album and got rid of the ones I've been "meh" about, or that I haven't listened to in years. (Probably good reason I haven't gone back and listened to them).

Pretty much all of them are on Spotify anyhow, and I can't tell any difference in sound quality between them and the CDs I used to have.

So much so, that I would be more inclined to focus on good speakers etc than what format the music is in....

I do like the look of vinyl and looking at the artwork etc. In decision....
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893

So much so, that I would be more inclined to focus on good speakers etc than what format the music is in....

Modern digital sources and modern amplifiers are transparent, the only places where audible distortions occur are in the speakers and the room.  A third source of distortion would be a vinyl front end.  So speakers should be the first priority for any system I think.  Amplifiers can be chosen based on build quality, wattage and features.  You can start with a modest turntable and it still be fun, probably more so than when heavily invested