R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited November 2018
    I've posted it in the R9 thread previously - Dirty Lemon superflame top. In the middle in this pic:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    kelpbeds said:
    Chalky said:
    The story about "Ed and Henry" sounds daft but is irrelevant.  They've just pumped "300 CS Reissues" into the market at £2.5k, which will depress the price from the previous higher price.  It also means an extra 300 guitars moved into the secondhand market.  The idea that their value will increase only holds if you believe in the economic equivalent of water running uphill.
    They're only in the secondary market if they are actually in the secondary market. I'm sure that there are plenty that won't be sold on so soon.

A few pages back I think I made this point already. In 2015 Amazon dumped a bunch of Gibson's at cut rate prices. You know, the terrible ones with the ugly logo, spiritual LP hologram, robots, wide boards and brass nuts.

I paid £289 for a Les Paul Junior and regret not having bought 10. You can see more than a handful recent sold ones in the range of £400-500. Water does move uphill, it's called capillary action.

Considering that Gibson made 1000s of R's each year up to this point, 300 guitars is a drop in the bucket. 
    Totally agree with the above. This is short term as supply has increased. These R8s will settle with people, supply will drop (especially if Gibson change things at the CS) and prices will go up again.
    If I had 20K lying about i'd buy a bunch of cheap R8s for sure and i'd make money.
    You mean like if you were a shop and you'd stockpile them and sell at a higher price in the future and make loads of money and....

...why didn't Peach do that instead?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Chalky said:
    kelpbeds said:
    Chalky said:
    The story about "Ed and Henry" sounds daft but is irrelevant.  They've just pumped "300 CS Reissues" into the market at £2.5k, which will depress the price from the previous higher price.  It also means an extra 300 guitars moved into the secondhand market.  The idea that their value will increase only holds if you believe in the economic equivalent of water running uphill.
    They're only in the secondary market if they are actually in the secondary market. I'm sure that there are plenty that won't be sold on so soon.

A few pages back I think I made this point already. In 2015 Amazon dumped a bunch of Gibson's at cut rate prices. You know, the terrible ones with the ugly logo, spiritual LP hologram, robots, wide boards and brass nuts.

I paid £289 for a Les Paul Junior and regret not having bought 10. You can see more than a handful recent sold ones in the range of £400-500. Water does move uphill, it's called capillary action.

Considering that Gibson made 1000s of R's each year up to this point, 300 guitars is a drop in the bucket. 
    Totally agree with the above. This is short term as supply has increased. These R8s will settle with people, supply will drop (especially if Gibson change things at the CS) and prices will go up again.
    If I had 20K lying about i'd buy a bunch of cheap R8s for sure and i'd make money.
    You mean like if you were a shop and you'd stockpile them and sell at a higher price in the future and make loads of money and....

...why didn't Peach do that instead?
    Because they’re already making a profit (although possibly less so than usual) selling them at £2499 ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also because running a business is about cashflow as well as profitability. Making £200 a time on 100+ £2499 guitars that sell as quickly as you can ship them is potentially much better than sitting on that asset and selling them slowly and making £500 profit per guitar but taking 2 years to sell them. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Also because running a business is about cashflow as well as profitability. Making £200 a time on 100+ £2499 guitars that sell as quickly as you can ship them is potentially much better than sitting on that asset and selling them slowly and making £500 profit per guitar but taking 2 years to sell them. 

Ah right, so now your argument is that in 2 years time they will be selling new at £3k by Peach?  If higher, then your £500 figure is wrong.  So a £3k new price suggests £2k as the secondhand price.  And in your example, the £3k is the maximum price, so prices could be lower, which would definitely put the secondhand price somewhere less than £2k.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    Also because running a business is about cashflow as well as profitability. Making £200 a time on 100+ £2499 guitars that sell as quickly as you can ship them is potentially much better than sitting on that asset and selling them slowly and making £500 profit per guitar but taking 2 years to sell them. 

Ah right, so now your argument is that in 2 years time they will be selling new at £3k by Peach?  If higher, then your £500 figure is wrong.  So a £3k new price suggests £2k as the secondhand price.  And in your example, the £3k is the maximum price, so prices could be lower, which would definitely put the secondhand price somewhere less than £2k.
    Honestly, I have no idea, but I wasn't making any argument about the used market either now or in the long term - that's way too subjective. It's clear that the current used value for a plain top R8 is clearly lower right now than it was at the start of the year, and that's probably anywhere between 1700-ish and 2300-ish depending on the appetite of both buyer and seller.

That will change again once the new Gibson management announces its future plans for the Historic line, and with time I'm sure the going rate for a plain topped R8 will be plenty over 2k again, in the same way that when there was a run of Thinline 72 Teles and AV65 Jags a few years ago you could get one of either for about 850, but now even a used one is back nearer to 1k.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I think it’s only the gloss finishes that are on offer as opposed to the VOS finishes.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited November 2018
    Back on track, here is a photo of my R8 again:

I will of course be interested to see if there is a feeding frenzy for the new batch of gloss ones from Peach when they arrive, and the heated discussions when buyers want to sell them on.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8772
    PSA: just spotted in my Facebook feed - a used R8 just appears to have gone for £1650 on FleaBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Custom-Shop-R8-1958-Reissue/153280918222
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    JerkMoans said:
    PSA: just spotted in my Facebook feed - a used R8 just appears to have gone for £1650 on FleaBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Custom-Shop-R8-1958-Reissue/153280918222
    Bizarre, the description says it’s never been plugged into an amp. Hmmm
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    JerkMoans said:

2014 model too. Bargain!

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    terada said:
    JerkMoans said:

Bizarre, the description says it’s never been plugged into an amp. Hmmm
    “Don’t even look at it”..
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    Finding their level, as I sagely predicted a few pages ago.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    Wow. Glad I shifted mine when I did. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    Sold within 5 mins, by the looks of it.

That won't stop the dreamers saying that £1650 is all they're now worth.....yawn.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    It also won’t stop the dreamers saying they’re worth £2400  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FFS, this fucking forum.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom