Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: A killer littler pair of monitors.

What's Hot
I needed some small monitors for the other side of the studio where I do a lot of sound design and didn't want to spend too much.

A producer friend worded me up about the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors, so took a punt on them.
These little monitors are pretty incredible for what they cost (£250).

I'm seriously impressed with them.
Only downside is they are unbalanced in (or Bluetooth) but some XLR to RCA cables sorted that out.

If you are in need of a small set of monitors then you'd struggle to get better than these for the money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I must admit I have been contemplating getting some of these to try and free up some desk space in my cramped little studio.
    How do you find the bass response on them?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    equalsql said:
    I must admit I have been contemplating getting some of these to try and free up some desk space in my cramped little studio.
    How do you find the bass response on them?
    Bass response is actually remarkable.
    It isn't 'natural' and I couldn't really mix on them, but it doesn't lack bass in any way.
    If anything there is too much.

• I think @Fretwired has a set of these. They do look interesting 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I think @Fretwired has a set of these. They do look interesting 
    Fret has two pairs .... ;-)

One on my work PC (great with Spotify) and a pair in my studio. Hooked them up to my HX Stomp and they sound great.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Funny, as I'm considering a second pair for the side of the studio that has all the Eurorack stuff.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I've got a pair. If u want to nitpick, u can get it to make weird port noises if u try hard enough. For example, play a ~50hz sine wave tone at high volume.. I also don't love the proprietary L to R speaker cable. It also doesn't do sub-bass but I don't think anything that size is physically capable of that.. 

I didn't realise how much I would use the Bluetooth function until I had my pair. Its a killer feature! And also, I love that it can play from two sources simultaneously. I.e. Via bluetooth and through the aux/RCA in. I hook up my phone and computer to it at the same time and can play media on any device through the speakers without having to disconnect one or the other.

I love my pair. It sounds fantastic and is a bit of an engineering marvel. 
  • For anyone looking to get some cheap-ish monitors, it might be worth waiting until the Kali Audio LP-6 monitors are available over here. US price is $149 per single, so - assuming we don't get wrecked on the currency conversion - it's possible they could turn out to be a proper bargain over here too.
    <space for hire>
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    For anyone looking to get some cheap-ish monitors, it might be worth waiting until the Kali Audio LP-6 monitors are available over here. US price is $149 per single, so - assuming we don't get wrecked on the currency conversion - it's possible they could turn out to be a proper bargain over here too.
    Sadly $149 will equate to £149 .... there are some cracking deals on monitors about at the moment.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    For anyone looking to get some cheap-ish monitors, it might be worth waiting until the Kali Audio LP-6 monitors are available over here. US price is $149 per single, so - assuming we don't get wrecked on the currency conversion - it's possible they could turn out to be a proper bargain over here too.
    Sadly $149 will equate to £549 pretty soon .... there are some cracking deals on monitors about at the moment.
    Here, fixed that for you :D

But, more seriously, we can but hope. I don't really need to upgrade my monitors (Tannoy Reveal 6 passives), but I do keep looking at the Kali Audio ones and wondering...
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    + 1 for the IK Ilouds, I have no space in my flat for a proper desk, so I got mine clamped to a fold away desk that I pull out for mixing , amazing sound for the money, bass rolls off around 50 htz, but thats good for my downstairs neighbours, still plenty enough detail for mixing though, and they are louder than I can take them.
  • Fretwired said:
    Sadly $149 will equate to £549 pretty soon .... there are some cracking deals on monitors about at the moment.

Wont we just be using the dollar over here anyway by then?

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

Wont we just be using the dollar over here anyway by then?

I think we are heading for a barter-based plura-currency system: Dollars, cans of beans, sexual favours, clean water, least favourite children etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love my iLoud, IK make some really cool hardware 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Im thinking of getting a pair of these.

I know the connecting lead length is a bit restrictive at 1.5m, but would need to wall mount them somehow as wall / desk space is at a premium. I couldnt spot any specific wall mounts for them, but do you current owners think I could sit them on some generic speaker wall mount stands / any reason that won't work(other than not being the best place for them)?
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    They come with threaded inserts for mounting to mic (size) stands, I bought clamps that allow them to stay on the fold away desk i use, not perfect, but works for me.
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 103
    I have had a pair of these for two years. They are an absolute godsend in a small studio, where you have no choice but to be sitting close to the speakers. I honestly think they are a better option than “normal” sized speakers if you are tight on space. I used to have a paid of Alesis Monitor Ones and the iLouds are better for my room. When I bought them I also spent about a grand on acoustic treatment . 
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Visited GG Brum today as a drop in to look at Monitors, and saw Adam T5V (huge), Yamaha HS5, Presonus E5, among others.....they are all so large that they would take up a good chunk of my desk. 

Came home and ordered a set of ILoud Micro Monitors based on the reviews. Hope they are good.............
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I have a set of these and they do sound great, not just for the size.

On the downside the connections on the back don’t feel as pro as other monitors I have and they do have some strange bluetooth noise going on, but overall they are excellent.

May upgrade to some Genelec’s at some point, but that would cost a small fortune.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    Thanks for the recommendation @octatonic. Just got a set based on yours and others good reviews. Astonishing sound from something so small. Just perfect for me :) Can see wanting some small mike stands to get them off the desk. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Are these suitable for mixing, or more just for tracking/listening?