Thoughts on pine for a home build FBJ type cabinet

What's Hot
As a tinkerer I'm thinking about having a go at building a new cabinet for my Subzero Tube 20R.

I don't want to spend a fortune so have been looking round for old furniture which I could utilise and pick up cheaply. I have come across an advert for a solid pine, 5ft pine headboard which appears to be made from 5 lengths of solid pine butted together.

To me it looks ideal, costs next to nothing (£10 but cos I'm tight I'll offer £5!).

Any thoughts on why it may not be suitable before I waste my time and money: )

Does anyone know where there is a free set of plans for an FBJ cabinet?

http://simonz.co.uk/images/head1.jpg

http://simonz.co.uk/images/head2.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4086
    edited November 2018
    How thick is the board?  I'm guessing most quality cabs (ply, mdf, pine) would be made from 18mm (3/4") board.

Have you seen the board?  Check it's not veneered ply!  Mind you, the cost of sheet materials these days I'd have that for a tenner even if it was.

Other than that, I don't see why not.  I'd take a bet that those old revered Fenders were plonked in cabs made from anything Leo had kicking around.
  • It would make a great-sounding amp cab for the guitarist in a Sleeper tribute band.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:
    How thick is the board?  I'm guessing most quality cabs (ply, mdf, pine) would be made from 18mm (3/4") board.

Have you seen the board?  Check it's not veneered ply!  Mind you, the cost of sheet materials these days I'd have that for a tenner even if it was.

Other than that, I don't see why not.  I'd take a bet that those old revered Fenders were plonked in cabs made from anything Leo had kicking around.
    No, I've not seen it yet but it is very local so not a problem. From the photos (which I've resized) I suspect it will be around the 18mm mark. My main concern really is that the bonded planks don't get shaken to bits by the speaker having said that the joins will be dovetailed so really they won't have anywhere to go... if that makes sense.

It would make a great-sounding amp cab for the guitarist in a Sleeper tribute band.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    edited November 2018
    My main concern really is that the bonded planks don't get shaken to bits by the speaker having said that the joins will be dovetailed so really they won't have anywhere to go... if that makes sense.
    When you get the board, have a look at the joins.  If it's been clamped properly, pretty much all wood glue forms a bond that's stronger than the wood itself.  I wouldn't worry too much about the bonded planks coming apart and just treat the whole thing like a sheet of material.  Certainly if you're going to dovetail the joints for strength.

Just my tuppenceworth without having seen it, but I would think you'd get a pretty good idea of whether or not it's knackered just by looking.