The Grateful Dead - Are any of you fans?

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 971
Only really started to listen to them about a month ago and have slowly been working my way through their studio albums.

So far their 5th album ‘American Beauty’ (1970) is my favourite. 

The Bob Weir documentary on Netflix actually prompted me to properly listen to their back catalogue. 
https://youtu.be/wfNewpF-j1E
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I go through phases of listening to them a lot but their catalogue is so vast I'm still a casual. I got into the live stuff and it's an infinite rabbit hole.. more or less every gig is available and the majority of stuff has big improvised sections so it's endless. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Quite ignorant about them, but Touch of Grey is one of my fav songs ever.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    edited November 2018
    If you've got Amazon Prime there's a six part documentary series called Long Strange Trip that's worth watching.

And for learning about Jerry's playing the youtube channel StichMethod is really good.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    I go through phases of listening to them a lot but their catalogue is so vast I'm still a casual. I got into the live stuff and it's an infinite rabbit hole.. more or less every gig is available and the majority of stuff has big improvised sections so it's endless. 
    I haven’t touched the live stuff yet, I just wanted to get familiar with the studio versions first.

MrBump said:
    Quite ignorant about them, but Touch of Grey is one of my fav songs ever.
    Yeah it’s a brilliant song, my other favourite song on that ‘In The Dark’ album is called ‘Tons of Steel’ 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    edited December 2018
    neilg said:
    If you've got Amazon Prime there's a six part documentary series called Long Strange Trip that's worth watching.

And for learning about Jerry's playing the youtube channel StichMethod is really good.
    Cheers! I have AmazonPrime, I’ll check them both out.

Edit: Started watching the 6 part Amazon Prime documentary, it’s really good.
  • Jerry lives 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Also check out The Other One on Netflix and try and get a hold of Festival Express. The dicks picks CDs tend to be quite good for live recordings. 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Quite a big fan myself. Have LOADS of CD's, quite a lot of the Dick's Pick's live stuff.

Without going into all that stuff, these below are a great place to start for the live stuff imo:

To Terrapin, Hartford '77? Some great jamming on this one:

And obviously an earlier classic, is 'Live Dead'. You can feel the energy of the performance on this.

We should also remember they were totally shit live at times, like completely shambolic.  =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    At university I had a lot of '60s Grateful Dead posters and a couple of T-shirts.  I love that imagery, love the album covers, love the name... but the music never sounds like I imagined it ought to.

Although having said that, I remember the BBC broadcast a Dead live show from Germany, some time in the '80s, and I found it utterly mesmerising watching Garcia with those amazing-looking guitars of his.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I spent the summer of 1981 working on a summer camp in America. Lots of my co-counsellors were heavily into the Dead, so I got to hear a fair amount of their music.

It just sounded like dull country rock to me, with the added bonus you get from some American bands of there being too many people in the band.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    No, but I love your body is a wonderland and daughters by john mayer so I'll go the gigs and scream for him

edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopig said:
    scrumhalf said:
    I spent the summer of 1981 working on a summer camp in America. Lots of my co-counsellors were heavily into the Dead, so I got to hear a fair amount of their music.

It just sounded like dull country rock to me, with the added bonus you get from some American bands of there being too many people in the band.
    There was always an edge to them and they had the most outside weird audience. I mean really weird. There was no other band like them. Listen to the 1977 show; the playing is improvised. Not pretend improvised and the drums propel the whole thing. They were a dance band at heart and there will be no band like them again. A truly American phenomenon. The subsequent post Garcia stuff has been just a sham and Mayer tried ripping him off but now it's just nostalgia and the really weird hardcore oddness has gone.
    wisd
  • they also had probably the largest single fanbase mailing list at the time - album from 71 had the following message: 

I think something like 60k names and addresses at the time.

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    At university I had a lot of '60s Grateful Dead posters and a couple of T-shirts.  I love that imagery, love the album covers, love the name... but the music never sounds like I imagined it ought to.

Although having said that, I remember the BBC broadcast a Dead live show from Germany, some time in the '80s, and I found it utterly mesmerising watching Garcia with those amazing-looking guitars of his.
    My usual GD anecdote is about that broadcast. Having seen the imagery, the long hair, the guitars ( but never heard the music) I expected quite different things. It was a moment of huge disappointment for which I’ve never really forgiven them. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • What did you guys expect them to sound like?
    edited July 2020