Things just got much more complicated

What's Hot
dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
After selling off loads of gear this year and reaching the stage where I am very happy with my simplified setup, I have only gone and made my 'pedal board' much more complicated.

It arrived last week but I have finally had a chance to sit down and play with it for a couple of hours.

For the £35 GuitarGuitar were doing the TC Spark for i'm rather happy.

R8 + TC Spark + Tri Metal + SL5 = Loads of Fun

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Master Po:  "What troubles you, Grasshopper?"

Caine:  "I sold my gear and thought that I had simplified my life. Yet now I find that I am accumulating gear again, and I do not know how to make it stop."

Master Po:  "Do not the wind and the rain eventually erode entire mountains, and yet new mountains continually arise? If the earth itself cannot shed its mountains, how can a mere guitarist shed all his gear? You must rid yourself of the desire to stop accumulating and understand that though the gear may change, there will always be gear."

Caine:  "Thank you master, this calms my heart. I will go online and see what Gear4Music has on offer."

20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    GAS is a mental health issue I think.

I almost bought a Boss ME-80 yesterday as the price was good.

I don’t need a Boss ME-80 for gods sake, I’m keeping things simple!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• No mere mortal could have resisted that Spark deal.

Mine arrived last week!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • love my sl5
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71865
    dbphoto said:

I've gone back to an ME-50 precisely because it *is* simple. I just need to bring myself to get rid of the rest of my pedals - I've done a lot already - and the job will be done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• dbphoto said:
    GAS is a mental health issue I think.

It is .And it's widespread.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2292
    edited November 2018
    I made a similar mistake with the Spark. I've now happily resigned myself to accumulating real pedals instead of piddling about with software menus on my POD.
    Tim
  • ICBM said:
    dbphoto said:

I've gone back to an ME-50 precisely because it *is* simple. I just need to bring myself to get rid of the rest of my pedals - I've done a lot already - and the job will be done.

I'm a big fan of the ME-50 - great sounds, easy to use, compact, etc. What's not to like? :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited November 2018
    They are great, and I have owned one along with the ME-5, 20, 25 and 70

Still too many options for me though as I know all I will do is spend most of my very limited amount of playing, while plugged in time, buggering about with the settings.
  • ICBM said:
    dbphoto said:

I'm a big fan of the ME-50 - great sounds, easy to use, compact, etc. What's not to like? :)
    Phaser coming after distortion, and can't be set to before.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71865
    clarkefan said:
    HarrySeven said:

Phaser coming after distortion, and can't be set to before.
    There are several faults - that's one, but the big one for me is that Manual is a separate memory patch, rather than giving you manual control over a programmed patch. Ideally I would like to be able to switch from a programmed patch to Manual and have nothing change except that you can now turn on or off the individual distortion, modulation and delay blocks, so you could essentially save several different virtual pedalboards. This is actually why I sold the first two I had, but I've now just accepted it as a limitation and I don't use the programme mode. Also annoying is that power off and back on makes the distortion block forget that you had the Variation button on.

But overall it just sounds so good and is so simple to use that I've decided I can live with it - to me it sounds better than the 70, even though the 70 does also have the amp modelling - but also drops some of the other effects I like, particularly the resonance filter and the 'Loud' distortion, and the two separate tone controls on the distortion... so overall I don't like it as much. I'd rather just use the 50 and a separate amp simulator if I need that. I also recently tried a GT-8 which on paper looked like it might be the answer to a better-programmable ME-50, but I found myself instantly back in Menu & Parameter Hell, so it swiftly went back to the shop :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7320
    I have now had my ME-5 for 30 years - its anniversary is today! In all that time I am at my most complicated level of using it! I now can switch patches from my phone!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11613
    57Deluxe said:
    I have now had my ME-5 for 30 years - its anniversary is today! In all that time I am at my most complicated level of using it! I now can switch patches from my phone!

How do you switch patches from your phone with 30yr old kit?

I have a Boss GT-8 in the cupboard I've owned for 14yrs that I don't touch much!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7320
    @darthead - you utilise the Midi in/out ports and system exclusive in the ME-5 and the Midi Commander App on your phone!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Just messaged a fairly local seller on Gumtree to arrange a meeting as he is selling amongst other things a mint 2012 Mexican Standard Strat for £250 and a couple of month old Boss Katana 50 for £100 

Yes, the price is right, but I nether need or want.

I really need to put in to production the idea I had years ago which is basically a breathalyser that wont let you access certain web sites after a few glasses of wine..............
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I miss my sl5! Can't remember why I sold it.