Solo of the Month (SotM) #42 - Chat

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited November 2018
    Paul7926 said:
    Not wishing to create a whole new thread for this but how do you guys record your endeavours for the rest of us to enjoy?

1) Download the backing track (although in my case I've already got it). There's a download button to the top right of the Soundcloud window.

2) Drag the track into Reaper, which will create a track for the backing track

3) Create a new track in Reaper for my guitar

4) Add an ampsim to my guitar track.

5) Record my guitar via an audio interface connected to my computer

For steps 4) and 5) you could just could just mic an amp, or use a unit with amp emulation - many of which already provide an audio interface to a computer

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Thanks folks.

So basically I need some sort of cheap audio interface.  Guitar only is fine as I'm never going to want to record my voice.  Ever.

Then some sort of DAW (for my PC) which I assume if I cheap out on the audio interface must be able to handle effects because the recorded guitar will literally just be the raw output from the guitar itself not after any pedal chain (and the only 'out' on my little practice amp is a headphone socket).

Don't get me wrong I'm light years away from being able to do SOTM but already I've found that listening to my playing just on a looper pedal has been invaluable.  I can't concentrate on playing and listening at the same time yet!
  • @Paul7926 ;I'd recommend getting an interface with a mic input. You might never want to record your voice but you will probably want to mic up an amp or acoustic instrument at some point.

Pretty much every proper DAW will handle FX plugins.  I use Reaper which is great value for money
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    @Paul7926 - when I started doing SotM (way back for #2) I was in a similar position to you - a complete recording novice.

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and worked things out from there. My first few SotM entries were recorded using Audacity. I also now use Reaper (which is awesome and terrific value for money - and you can try before you buy).

If you record direct you will need something to make it sound like an electric guitar, which is where plugins come in - that's a whole 'nother rabbit hole ;-) 

There's plenty of advice on here - there's the whole Studio & Recording section for a start.
    @Paul7926 ;I'd recommend getting an interface with a mic input. You might never want to record your voice but you will probably want to mic up an amp or acoustic instrument at some point.

Pretty much every proper DAW will handle FX plugins.  I use Reaper which is great value for money
    Doh!  Missed the fact that the mic could be used like that.  Good point, well made.
    markv said:
    @Paul7926 - when I started doing SotM (way back for #2) I was in a similar position to you - a complete recording novice.

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and worked things out from there. My first few SotM entries were recorded using Audacity. I also now use Reaper (which is awesome and terrific value for money - and you can try before you buy).

If you record direct you will need something to make it sound like an electric guitar, which is where plugins come in - that's a whole 'nother rabbit hole ;-) 

There's plenty of advice on here - there's the whole Studio & Recording section for a start.
    Well I'm a guitar novice as well as a recording one so the usual SOTM participants need not fear anything for a long while. :)

I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo along with the Behringer UMC22 when I should have been working this afternoon!  I've also done some trawling through the Studio & Recording thread as well.

I've been in IT for 30 years so I have no doubt how deep the rabbit hole of complex software packages with plugins can be.

Thanks for the advice

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Paul7926 said:

I've been in IT for 30 years so I have no doubt how deep the rabbit hole of complex software packages with plugins can be.
    Same here - so that's a real advantage for you, because at least that's one bit of the technology chain you don't have to be worried about.

I can deal with computers. It's these weird things made of wood with strings on that don't do what I want them to.
    markv said:
    Paul7926 said:

Same here - so that's a real advantage for you, because at least that's one bit of the technology chain you don't have to be worried about.

I can deal with computers. It's these weird things made of wood with strings on that don't do what I want them to.
    Yeah, Analogue is weird compared to digital.  :)