The Grateful Dead - Are any of you fans?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• What did you guys expect them to sound like?
    Long hair, skulls, guitars, scary name - probably closer to Black Sabbath than Willie Nelson.

Lot of bands I never really heard at the time, just saw the pictures. I read an entire book about Kiss without hearing them ( they were a bit disappointing as well, although I wasn’t as far wide of the mark). I remember reading quite a lot about ZZ Top in Sounds and then getting to watch them on OGWT, exceeded my expectations and I’ve loved them ever since. 

And I’ve still never heard Policeman With a Loaf of Bread. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Fair enough, I grew up knowing the deadbeats and furry looking leftover adult deadheads who were all about peace and love so I only ever associated their visauls with that!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    edited November 2018
    What did you guys expect them to sound like?

As @EricTheWeary has said, I saw the posters, the hair, the guitars... I also had a book called "West Coast Story" in which I read about bands like Alice Cooper, the Beach Boys, the Doors and the Grateful Dead several years before I ever heard their music.  It had pictures of the Dead on stage with big lava-lamp light shows...

I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting.  Not a proto-metal band, but certainly something intense, trippy and psychedelic.  And BASSY!  I guess something a bit like Iron Butterfly, or early Pink Floyd maybe?  And then to hear the reality - not that I've heard very much, even now - with that light, almost country-ish feel.  I really don't like "Americana", and it seems closer to that kind of sound than I ever imagined it would.

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • American Beauty and Workingman's Dead is about as far as I've got with The Dead.

I'll check out the series on Prime, thanks to the chap that first mentioned it. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    This is the house where they lived in the Haight Ashbury area of San Francisco. Visited earlier this year.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4256
    edited November 2018
    Much wisdom in this thread from @gringopig   The thing about the Grateful Dead, if you do get into them, you are in for a treat in terms of available material, as due to the big 'taping scene' that went on over the years, they must be one of the most recorded bands in history. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    @ronnyb ;
    Nic picture, I remember seeing that on the Bob Weir documentary, he walks around inside trying to remember who lived in what room...said it was a bit hazy  =)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Discovered yesterday that there is a Classic Album show on the making of “Anthem of the Sun” & ‘American Beauty’. I need to track this down, nothing on YouTube atm unfortunately.

https://qello.com/concert/Classic-Albums-Anthem-To-Beauty-2477