Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why would anyone buy a vinyl playing setup?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• The vinyl I bought, I think I've only played a few records so far on my sister's player. The rest are in storage. I'm not sure if having a small collection of records defeats the purpose of having a "collection". But it might be a good thing in that I might only buy 1 or 2 records a year and actually listen to them properly. It just seems so much easier to stream and/or play CDs :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got music on all formats, I even have a fully working twin deck Kenwood tape player. I like listening to my old records so I have a turntable, but I also buy new vinyl but on a limited basis for particular artists. Most of my purchases are CD's or downloads. I don't see any probs with enjoying all the formats that are available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    edited November 2018
    I am aware of the irony of trying to demonstrate the beauty of vinyl by recording it on an iphone and uploading it to a low res video site and you people listening to it on your phones! - but I thought it might be interesting for people to hear what a good record player can convey in terms of detail at least.

Obviously you can’t hear any of the fullness and depth, or even some details, and definitely not the balance of frequencies that actually sound in the room, but the level of detail that comes across may be surprising to those who haven’t heard records before. Or maybe not. I don’t know! :)

https://youtu.be/F_A8D6bTaPY
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    viz said:
    I am aware of the irony of trying to demonstrate the beauty of vinyl by recording it on an iphone and uploading it to a low res video site and you people listening to it on your phones! - but I thought it might be interesting for people to hear what a good record player can convey in terms of detail at least.

Obviously you can’t hear any of the fullness and depth, or even some details, and definitely not the balance of frequencies that actually sound in the room, but the level of detail that comes across may be surprising to those who haven’t heard records before. Or maybe not. I don’t know! :)

I love 80's pop on vinyl - plentiful and non-collectible so affordable!  80s pressings sound great as well, even the light pressings, better than most new stuff I think

Is that a Rega @viz? ; What speakers are you running?  Sounds like a nice rig
    edited November 2018
    roberty said:

I love 80's pop on vinyl - plentiful and non-collectible so affordable!  80s pressings sound great as well, even the light pressings, better than most new stuff I think

Is that a Rega @viz? ;; What speakers are you running?  Sounds like a nice rig
    Yes, 80s was definitely the best decade for music

it’s a Kuzma deck and PMC speakers. They’re both really neutral. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:

I just played the song on Spotify and it's miles better than this. ;)

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I just played the song on Spotify and it's miles better than this. ;)

R.
    :D
    viz said:
    roberty said:

Is that a Rega @viz? ;; What speakers are you running?  Sounds like a nice rig
    Yes, 80s was definitely the best decade for music

it’s a Kuzma deck and PMC speakers. They’re both really neutral. 
    No way, I have PMC speakers too. They are perfect I'd say, near enough. The only speakers I've owned that sound just as good with all genres and decades of music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a pair of PMC TB-2s in the home studio and they sound so good that I'm tempted to replace my Mission 752Fs with a set.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I have a pair of PMC TB-2s in the home studio and they sound so good that I'm tempted to replace my Mission 752Fs with a set.
    Yes, or maybe some twenty 21? There was a pair on ebay for 750-ish recently
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a pair of PMC TB-2s in the home studio and they sound so good that I'm tempted to replace my Mission 752Fs with a set.
    I've never liked Mission. KEFs every time for me
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    I have a turntable and listen to vinyl at least half of the time when I'm at home.

I don't have any mystic belief in the intrinsic superiority of analogue gear, or disdain for digital. The other half of the time I'm streaming to a Raspberry Pi with a DAC hat on it, that sits behind my hifi preamp, and that sounds great, and a lot of my daily listening is MP3s on my phone, which is also fine.

But, a decent turnable with a decent cartridge -- and I'm not talking megabucks here, I have a second hand low-end Linn and a 100 quid Shure cartridge -- sounds pretty good. Which opens up a whole world of second hand stuff, plus means I can still play the dozens and dozens of records I've owned since I was a teenager, plus the couple of hundred others I've picked up over the years.

I like jazz and classical music, as well as rock/soul/RnB, etc. Which means that there's a huge amount of good quality stuff out there to be had, super cheap, on vinyl. Plus strange oddities. I have a load of Soviet pressings of classic 40s and 50s swing music, for example, which I got for free when a place I used to work was throwing them out. Similarly, big boxed sets of eastern European pressings of Shostakovich and Prokofiev that I paid a couple of quid for. Some of which are hard to get on CD, or aren't on Spotify.

It takes me no longer to pull a record off the shelf, which is right there, in the living room, with the turntable at head height and put it on, than it does to go to my laptop or open an app on my phone, and scroll around to choose what I want to here, and then set it running. I like the fact that it forces me to resist the temptation to flick, or chop and change.
    @Matt_McG are you running Volumio on your Pi? Bloody brilliant. I had an off the shelf streaming DAC but wasn't impressed by the buggy firmware
    edited November 2018
    Here they are, Pi DAC measurements, perfect conversion, pretty much: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/10/measurements-raspberry-pi-3-hifiberry.html?m=1
  • I bought one of these a while back, but have never got around to using it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1815752970/hybrid-tube-amp-for-the-raspberry-pi/description

It supports Volumio.

I've never really had the inclination to bother because I've got quite a few Squeezeboxes which fulfil my streaming needs.

I should maybe give it another go.

R.
    I've never liked Mission. KEFs every time for me
    I'm not a huge fan of Mission in general, but the 75X Freedom range is pretty damn good IMO.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    @roberty No. I use PiCorePlayer, which is Squeezebox/LMS based. A few of the plugins are a bit fiddly — e.g. streaming hi bit rate audio from last weeks Radio 3 or 6Music, say — but it is a setup I know well.
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited December 2018
    Fourteen minutes, but reasonably interesting.

• That video referred to "loudness wars" (google it) which is compression of the music on the cd format.  It robs the cd of the balanced frequency extremes and was done by producers to make their recording stand out on low-fi reproduction such as radio.  When cd first appeared, a lot of back catalogue vinyl music was put into the digital format and the majority of it sounded very poor compared to the original.  I speak as a vinyl lover with about 400 lps from the seventies.  I use a Gyrodec/Roksan/Ortofon MC combination through MF amplification into Piega loudspeakers.
    It's a shame that the engineers for the most part got it wrong as cd has the potential to beat vinyl reproduction in many ways.
    Like others here, I love to have a listening session rather than just background noise.  The critical listening reveals the shortcomings of both formats, but my preference is for vinyl for the vintage of music I prefer to listen to. Yes, I'm a dinosaur !