Sasquatch Shortlist!

What's Hot

Comments

• Any of the following:
    Slide on Won't Back Down
    Rhythm on Paradise City
    Lead and vocals on Crossroads
    Guitar and I can do vocals on Need Your Love So Bad, perhaps with @richardhomer ;
    I can do vocals on Wishing Well and I'm happy to play on it if no-one else does.
    If we need three guitarists on Freebird then I'll stick my hand up for one of those spots.
    Would love to do NYLSB @vasselmeyer ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Join me on Crossroads as well @richardhomer and we'll stage another British Invasion!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Join me on Crossroads as well @richardhomer and we'll stage another British Invasion!
    I can feel the humtbuckingness of this right now!  
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    edited December 2018
    TTony said:
    What happened to @TTony and my JJ Cale song?
    Was rather under the impression Tony wasn't coming, hence it's non inclusion.

Why @darthed1981?

Because you told me you "doubt you will attend another event" 
    [edit]
    I really shouldn't be here posting bollocks.  Post deleted.  Apologies to all for, well, all of it really.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited December 2018
    TTony said:
    TTony said:

Why @darthed1981?

Because you told me you "doubt you will attend another event" 

We'd originally hoped that we'd end up with lots of these sessions happening, and different people coming along to the different ones and us ending up with dozens (and dozens and dozens) of different members taking part across the different sessions.  We'd take the online community and extend it into real life, which I was *very* keen on achieving (for various reasons).  That was the intention of having a Northern bash, a Southern bash, one in the middle, one out West, etc,

Theres been a lot of very successful spin offs that are taking off more regularly! @Broccos Gloucester one, @snags hertford one, I did one in Northampton. Has there been any East Anglia ones? Each has a core of attendees with other people who they've met at the jams coming along. The community spirit is great if people come along with the right attitude.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Tony, the jams *are* fulfilling their desired purpose. The vast majority of playing slots at the last 3 jams I've attended have been filled by "people who don't get to play with others often". 

At Quad last weekend we had 3 songs that were problematic because their sponsors weren't there following late drop out. Everything else worked fine and was well received. 

The two Huddersfield sessions we've had so far have received incredible feedback. Not from some shadowy cabal of cliquey tFBers, but from experienced and new jammers alike.

I'm a little bit fucked off with people busting their bollocks to organise these events, only to be publicly slagged off on here by an admin and founder of the forum we're trying to support, which, by the way, makes a considerable amount of money out of these jams too. 

Ultimately, if you don't like the way they're run. Run them differently. It's easy to sit on the wall and piss in...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676
    TTony said:

So, if the organising committee has decided that the purpose has changed and the intention is for a few of us to get together and have a good time, then that's great, and I'm completely up for that.  I'll get my name all over a bunch of the songs that you've chosen - even if it means a trip to the far Northern wastelands ...

I think the jams have room to develop into lots of things ESPECIALLY Sasquatch as you have a wonderful proper rock studio with Bob, lots of time because we are there all weekend, a gig where last time several of us made our gig debut, and there was some great beer on, AND we helped make some money for charity :)

A really great sign can be seen in the Woking thread, where it was like the end of Spartacus when one of the new attendees put their hand up and asked for help, I thought that was brilliant.

Foolishly optimistic I may be, but I think the sessions can be everything everyone wants them to be.  :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    I'm clearly way out of line here.

Forget me.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676
    TTony said:

Why @darthed1981?

Get it back in! 
    I haven't had a bloke say that to me since I was at that Scissor Sisters gig...

But I've added that track to the list ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I play nearly every week so I don't *need* to play at the jams but I do it because i get to play with people I've never met before and that is brilliant fun. I also get to sing some lead which is never going to happen in a "proper" band.

If I didn't bring a guitar I'd turn up anyway because of the vibe and watching people do stuff they've never done before.

Anyone can have fun at these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I play nearly every week so I don't *need* to play at the jams but I do it because i get to play with people I've never met before and that is brilliant fun. I also get to sing some lead which is never going to happen in a "proper" band.

If I didn't bring a guitar I'd turn up anyway because of the vibe and watching people do stuff they've never done before.

Anyone can have fun at these.

And you get a keen backing band when you ask to if we can cover "While my guitar..." which your band wont play - and I got inspired to learn that song as I liked the version you played, everyone can get something out of it at all levels!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Well, that depends on what we're intending to achieve with the session?

the hotel's 300 metres from Magic Rock Brewery. that's all the achieve I need!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbomb said:

Want me to see if we can get some MR beers for the gig Matt?

I think Tony made a fair point re song sign-up feeding frenzy, there's a chance people could get left behind (@luttis kindly pinged me or I wouldn't have known) or reluctant to step up.

Worth tagging/mailing all attendees?

I signed up for 3 but happy to be bumped if it means everyone gets a shot.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Cards on the table - I’m finding all of this just too hard. 

Organising a Jam session is something that is difficult to describe unless you’ve done it for yourself - and not just on the periphery - I mean carrying the can. 

Since starting this I’ve tried to tread a very very thin line - a line that means that in the main, the jams try to make as many people as possible as happy as possible and somehow has the pretty much impossible blend of “what each people wants out of the jam”. 

Believe me, it’s pretty much impossible. I receive an awful lot of PMs about the jams. Some good, a lot bad. In the main, everyone has an opinion as to what the jams should be - it’s rare if two opinions are the same. 

Too much organising and people say it’s too formal - not relaxed, too highly stressful, too pressured and not comfortable. It can also lead to frayed nerves and a feeling that we are rushing through to an endpoint. 

Too little organising and it can be chaos - people trying to play with no prep, not knowing what they are prepping, some not liking the gaps between songs, some wanting to swap out amps and others not wanting them to do the swap outs.

Either scenario can lead to some songs not being done - and inevitably both scenarios lead to some people not being happy. 

Add to this the stress of getting the venues done, getting the money sorted, and getting it done on the day. 

I will be utterly honest here - I’ve run 5 Jam days and I haven’t enjoyed the actual days themselves at all because of the stress of making sure it went well and hoping everyone who turns up gets something out of it. Not once. I’ve not enjoyed the post Jam PMs from people not happy, or nagging for recordings, or asking if x or y can be done differently next time. I’ve not enjoyed the stress of getting everyone paid and hoping the venue will be okay on the day. I’ve not enjoyed quad going dark on me for nearly a month. 

It’s even more difficult when from an admin point of view the Forum wants one balance of things, but yet many of the members who come to the jams want something else. Well, I say that - the truth is that I hear about 50 or 60 different opinions as to how the jams should be run - all valid, and Tony’s is one of them. 

But from a forum point of view as a whole, I’m never going to make everyone happy all the time. Actually, I’m not going to make the majority happy - only some, and only occasionally. 

And most importantly - I’m never going to make me happy. The jams will always be a bind to me, they will always be highly stressful, will always come with baggage, will always be a plethora of PMs ranging from “I’m bored of you always banging on about the Jams” to “why can’t you do these monthly? Some of us want to play more - you don’t seem to be putting enough effort in”

And so I can only come to an inevitable conclusion - I will never win. I will never create jams that everyone feels is just right. I won’t be able to do what the forum wants because not enough members agree. I won’t ever be able to enjoy them as a punter does - and they will always be a source of great stress - from organising, from the whinging and criticism, and from the fact that they don’t do what the forum really wanted them to do. 

So I am going to regretfully withdraw from organising. I’ve been thinking this for a while - this thread certainly hasn’t caused this. The currently organised jams will happen, and I will support them, but if there are to be more in future then someone else will have to do them.

Oh, and to those who PM’d me asking me to stop banging on about the jam sessions as you were bored of hearing about them - here you go, I’m stopping - and fuck you very much for your support.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    pmbomb said:

Want me to see if we can get some MR beers for the gig Matt?
    flippin' ell yes. nice as those casks were would be cool to have something with a bit of zip.

if we order a KeyKeg I can bring my tap, (unless I'm coming on the train) as I doubt the club will be set up to serve it.

we have a lush coconut porter in the fermenter right now, should be about 6%, I could also bring a keg of that if people think it will go and we have some left. info here https://faultlinebrew.co.uk/
  • If we can't get it into the club, I'm pretty sure Bob won't mind us having a keg on the bench in the chill out room. He might even break his vow of sobriety and join us ;) 

@Bridgehouse that's a shame, I didn't notice at Huddersfield, seemed to go smoothly and happily to my eyes. thank you vm for what you've done.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    pmbomb said:
    @Bridgehouse that's a shame, I didn't notice at Huddersfield, seemed to go smoothly and happily to my eyes. thank you vm for what you've done.

That’s often the case. Very smooth on the surface - utter pain in the arse in the background. 
    If we can't get it into the club, I'm pretty sure Bob won't mind us having a keg on the bench in the chill out room. He might even break his vow of sobriety and join us ;) 
    cool. all my tap needs is power. no plumbing or anything fancy needed.