Freeway switch: Anyone tried them?

What's Hot
Looking at these https://www.freewayswitch.com/ the 3b3 telecaster. The extra options look interesting.
Just wondering if anyone has tried them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have, was great while it worked but kept having problems with volume drop on one pickup. To be fair I think it’s because it was soldered and desoldered repeatedly. I tried to wire it myself and cocked it up, took it to one tech who cocked it up then to another tech who got it working (alltho the volume/tone pots didn’t work 100% right). In other words, great when it works but a pain in the backside to wire. I’ve ordered the new one with the leads to see if it’s easier to get working. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    I have the 3x3-03 in my 1993 PRS Custom. It replaced the rotary five-way selector. I wanted to shed two of the standard coil permutations and was keen to add the Power Out Of Phase combination from the very earliest factory guitars.

LewisYL7 said:
    it was soldered and desoldered repeatedly. 
    This is critical.

My circuit does not conform exactly to any single Freeway .pdf diagram. I had to pick 'n' mix to arrive at what I required. Consequently, I made damned sure that my idea was correct before I began soldering. I even planned the order in which the jumper connections were made.

On my switch, one "side" offers Neck, Both, Bridge. The other "side" offers Power-Out-Of-Phase, Inside Coils in parallel, Bridge 'bucker split to screw coil.

The latter selection sees little use. Perhaps, I should add a partial coil split network?

Freeway 3b3 telecaster. The extra options look interesting. Just wondering if anyone has tried them?
    Judging by the product photographs and schematic diagrams, the PCB track layout is tied in to just one configuration. Fine, if you want exactly what it offers. Frustrating, if you are intent on anything more ambitious.

Generally, I am wary of PCB lever selector switches. They never seem to be as robust as the good ol' CRL sprung design. 
    Be seeing you.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Depending on what you want to achieve it might be worth considering the Oak Grigsby double wafer Superswitch - it is more easily wired and seems robust  - I've had one in my Tele or a couple of years. Make sure you get the narrow version as the standard version will probably be too wide for a normal Tele control cavity.

I have mine wired:

neck
    both in series
    both parallel
    both out of phase
    bridge.

I like that combination as bridge, parallel and neck are all where they should be!
  • Gagaryn said:
    Depending on what you want to achieve it might be worth considering the Oak Grigsby double wafer Superswitch - it is more easily wired and seems robust  - I've had one in my Tele or a couple of years. Make sure you get the narrow version as the standard version will probably be too wide for a normal Tele control cavity.

I have mine wired:

neck
    both in series
    both parallel
    both out of phase
    bridge.

I like that combination as bridge, parallel and neck are all where they should be!
    That sounds like the kind of thing I want. Where did you buy it from? 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    I use these https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Guitar-Super-Switch-5-way-p/lps-5super.htm. However they are too deep for many Telecaster control cavities, and you may need to use a router or chisel to take out a few millimetres of wood.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    I have an older Freeway on one of the Sporkasters; it works pretty well but hitting the middle positions is tricky. I think I prefer a 5-way Superswitch or a rotary. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Gagaryn said:

I have mine wired:

neck
    both in series
    both parallel
    both out of phase
    bridge.

That sounds like the kind of thing I want. Where did you buy it from? 
    The internet! eBay I think. This is what you need - the model with the tabs pointing inwards. 

WDMusic have them in stock.
  • Cheers. The site says it’s for strat, should that matter?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    The site says it’s for strat, should that matter?
    Yes. The mounting screws align with the centre line of a standard Telecaster's control plate and cavity. Hence, the second wafer will foul against the side of the cavity.

A narrower version of that twenty four contact Superswitch exists. I'm not certain who - if anyone - imports them into the UK.
    Be seeing you.
    edited December 2018
    The site says it’s for strat, should that matter?
    Yes. The mounting screws align with the centre line of a standard Telecaster's control plate and cavity. Hence, the second wafer will foul against the side of the cavity.

A narrower version of that twenty four contact Superswitch exists. I'm not certain who - if anyone - imports them into the UK.

That is the narrow version, it fits in a Tele cavity fine. The wider version has the tags pointing outwards and will not fit in a Tele.