Autumn Leaves / Jazz theory

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited November 2018
    Justin Sandercoe has very recently posted a new video on his website "Jazz Improv with Mike Outram" which provides a quick intro to a number of ideas for making a start at playing jazz.

Forgot to mention earlier that they use "Autumn Leaves" for this session.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Recently started watching Jens Larsen on YouTube.  Think he goes at a nice pace and also shows the notation, which I find clearer. Here are his Autumn Leaves vids:

https://m.youtube.com/user/jenslarsen02/search?query=Autumn%20leaves
  • I would really recommend Jens Larsen too. He's an excellent teacher and I think its worth spending a bit of money on his paid lessons. I bought the all the things you are one and it was great, really good value. I also think achim kohl's version is a goldmine of cool licks for playing over the chords - he's got a tab for sale in the description, or you can work it out by ear (I should be making commission on these...). 

I try to think of it as separate "sections" like blueingreen outlined - a series of II V Is. In fact that's how I approach all jazz songs (a lot of them end up being a series of II V Is!). I recommend listening to some jazz players and analysing their licks over chords. Wes Montgomery is incredible, as is Barney Kessel, as is Kenny Burrell. And listening to some saxophonists and copying them always turns out some really interesting lines that you wouldn't have thought of. There's a really great version of autumn leaves by cannonball adderley (off his record "somethin' else") that I really think is worth a listen or two, or three, or even owning the record on vinyl and playing weekly for the rest of your life.