Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best time to finish auction on Ebay if selling a guitar?

What's Hot
Guilt has consumed me too much into buying an unnecessary guitar, with having a bunch that are untouched. I just want to know what is the best time to end an auction so that it is most profitable? Im also thinking of selling a JCM 900. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    edited December 2018
    Advertise them here if you need to sell them.  

If you decide to use eBay then I prefer a buy it now with offers but if I do an auction I set it to finish mid evening when people will find it easy to be online - sun or mid week evenings are usually good - plenty of pics and description and you’ll usually find a decent piece.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Best time to finish it is before you start the auction.  I wouldn't sell a guitar on EBay.

Unless you are desperate for cash quickly, you will probably get the most money by selling on consignment in a shop.  If you sell on Ebay, you will lose 13% or so in their fees plus Paypal fees.  Charlie Chandler charges 18% commission on consignment sales, and he will get a lot more for it than you will be able to get on Ebay. It will more than make up for the 5% difference in fees.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Not December.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    This has been studied and written about you can just google it, the answer is Sunday evening.  You get hammered by eBay fees pus PayPal fees though.  If you do sell on eBay rather than here then look out for a £1 final value fee promotion there come along every few weeks of late.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    I only list on eBay during £1 FVF promos. Can be worth it. Best day of the week to end is apparently Thursday... but that’s statistically “in general” and not guitars per se. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Avoid Saturday evening. Sunday evening seems to be a good time ime. Might be best to go with a Buy it Now type listing, perhaps with the option to receive offers (you can specify that offers below a certain figure, which you determine, are automatically rejected).
  • Thanks Guys. I did Google, and found lots of stuff but wanted to get a heads up specifically on guitars - though may not be a major difference. Ooops, missed the £1 FVF by 1 minute. How did that happen? Yes, I will take your advice and hold on till next year unless I change my mind. When is the post Christmas dip likely to wind up and be a good month to sell again?
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    Thanks Guys. I did Google, and found lots of stuff but wanted to get a heads up specifically on guitars - though may not be a major difference. Ooops, missed the £1 FVF by 1 minute. How did that happen? Yes, I will take your advice and hold on till next year unless I change my mind. When is the post Christmas dip likely to wind up and be a good month to sell again?
    i think the £1 fvf ends tonight 23.59pm 
    i may be wrong
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    just cut and pasted from hot uk deals so offer ends monday night 23.59

Valid from Friday 30th November 2018 00:00:01 until Monday 3rd December 2018 23:59:59. Maximum fee per sold listing. Applies to final value fees on up to 100 listings. No insertion fees apply. Item must sell within the first listing period. Private sellers only. T&Cs apply.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Great username, btw!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Do for deals apply to buy it now listings, or is it just for auctions?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    clarkefan said:
    Do for deals apply to buy it now listings, or is it just for auctions?
    Sold a few things with BIN and £1FVF
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 443
    edited December 2018
    I’ve had a lot of eBay success. I always go Buy it Now or best offer, over 30 days and using the £1 deal.
     I recently listed 15 guitar-related things (here and on eBay) and sold 12 through eBay within 9 days.
  • Sell today, zero percent fee promo ending this evening. 3.4% PayPal but you can ask for cash on collection, which avoids hassle.
    Make sure it sells within 30 days and you won't pay fees, under their terms and conditions.

Don't do an auction, do a buy it now with offers - and doesn't really matter when you start or end it, if you do that. 

If you really want to do an auction, then end it on Sunday evening at 7-9pm.
    That's when internet traffic across the UK is at its highest. 

Alternatively list it on here :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The best without a doubt is payday, list it so it ends when people are flush. For example, people get paid the week before Christmas then January is a 5 week months so people the week before payday in January are broke, pubs, restaurants etc are all quiet for the love of god don't end it then. If you've got a pocket full off cash over January and people are desperate there are some baragins to be had.
  • usedtobe said:
    Great username, btw!
    Yeah, he’s probably thin and a really nice bloke!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Yes, the £1 offer end tonight at midnight. It's unlikely that I'd use eBay other than the £1 offer, but I've found that it's easily the best source of sales. Yes, you have kiss a few frogs to find a prince, but if you can cope with that, it's OK. It's like that everywhere, to be fair, but eBay seems to offer a wider audience than anywhere else. Gumtree is worth a go, and I've sold a few through there, but that seems to have dried up a lot recently.

I have a few that I'm listing before midnight, but not sure which ones I want to sell (I'm only selling because I have an 'incoming' before Christmas)  so I'll just see what the level of interest is first and then withdraw the ones that I don't really want to sell. I only need to sell one really and am a terrible seller, as I will only deal face to face, which means a few miles, but it's worked fine so far.

I only do the 'buy it now, with best offer' generally, but when I've put things up for auction I've found that listing a week before pay day helps and a Sunday or weekday mid-evening finish helps.
    Call me Dave.
  • usedtobe said:
    Great username, btw!
    Yeah, he’s probably thin and a really nice bloke!  :)
    Actually you are in the right direction on the former, while the latter is more subjective. I have been able to bulk up (in a bad way) very rapidly due to my fondness for cakes and alcohol at various times in the past. No one would think I'm particularly heavy now, but nicknames tend to stick.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3355
    The item you are selling will dictate the target audience, a guitar? I try to do it at the last week of the month ending on a Friday tea time, or shortly after tea, Friday is the end of the week, people are happiest, possibly drunk and more inclined to put their hand in their pockets. Too late on Friday and your targets will be in the pub.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Try to end it Sunday approx 6:30-7pm. Early enough so it’s after Sunday roast, not too late so everyone is in bed prepping for the week ahead.

Being a Sunday evening, most people are at home.

I can’t find the link/source but there was a study done on this (albeit not guitar related) but the best time to end any general eBay auction is Wednesday evening or Sunday evening. 

FWIW I reckon Friday night is the worst possible time, unless you strike it lucky with a drunk
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials