Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First 2 Maiden Albums

What's Hot
mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
Popped these on my ipod on Friday, havent listened to them in probably 20 years, in fact havent listened to any Maiden in that time really due to hating Dickinson's Screaming Banshee voice. They are Excellent ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    100%. their best, to my ears, though they wouldn't have become they band they did without Bruce I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Love Bruce but also love these albums as well.

Phantom of The Opera is one of my favourite Maiden songs.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

They've just released remastered versions of all the old albums haven't they?

I haven't really looked into them, having bought all the Sabbath, Zeppelin, Scorpions etc reissues and never even peeled off the cellophane.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Yes I love both before and after Bruce.

It's also interesting to note that these albums are really rhythmically complex - a long time before the Nicko Era.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I never liked the first ones, to the point that I only discovered Iron Maiden 10-15 years ago when I got tickets to go and see them; turns out they are really good!

(I do not like Run For The Hills, though!)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Clive was key to Maiden. Got a few live recordings from before he joined and he changed them massively.
    Purgatory was more Doobie Brothers in 1977.
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Clive was AMAZING. Nicko’s obviously awesome but the sound Clive had on those early records was just so tight. Stick on skin. Awesome. And Dennis Stratton was brilliant, and Paul - well his voice actually sounded like metal. Love those two albums. But then NOTB was a stonker too, so there you go. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    prowla said:
    I never liked the first ones, to the point that I only discovered Iron Maiden 10-15 years ago when I got tickets to go and see them; turns out they are really good!

(I do not like Run For The Hills, though!)
    How can you not like Iron Maiden with a name like Prowla?!!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Clive was AMAZING. Nicko’s obviously awesome but the sound Clive had on those early records was just so tight. Stick on skin. Awesome. And Dennis Stratton was brilliant, and Paul - well his voice actually sounded like metal. Love those two albums. But then NOTB was a stonker too, so there you go.

Yeah the drumming is pretty damn tight on both Albums. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited December 2018
    For me the first album is their best, Killers is ok and the rest post-Di'Anno Dickinson stuff is all a bit of an overblown, formuliac parody. I love the raw sound of the first album, no shiny production and lots of energy. The plodding Nicko McBrain can't hold a candle to the effortless Clive Burr. This can't beaten...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Discovered this recently.... the quality is amazing for something that's pushing forty years old....

• Octafish said:
    For me the first album is their best, Killers is ok and the rest post-Di'Anno Dickinson stuff is all a bit of an overblown, formuliac parody. I love the raw sound of the first album, no shiny production and lots of energy. The plodding Nicko McBrain can't hold a candle to the effortless Clive Burr. This can't beaten...

tremendous, Steve Harris is just a machine
    edited December 2018
    Octafish said:

RobDavies said:
    Discovered this recently.... the quality is amazing for something that's pushing forty years old....

Brilliant. There’s a great version of remember tomorrow live in germany I think. He sings it so beautifully. 

Edit, here:
    https://youtu.be/afBRj58PYSI
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    tremendous, Steve Harris is just a machine
    When Ed Friedland the bass whisperer reviewed the Harris P Bass he said the same thing! =)

I'm not a huge fan of the first 2 albums really. Piece of Mind, Number of the Beast and Powerslave were the peak for me and that era was pretty much encapsulated in Live After Death. Soundtrack to my paper round for many years!
    Octafish said:
    For me the first album is their best, Killers is ok and the rest post-Di'Anno Dickinson stuff is all a bit of an overblown, formuliac parody. 

bugger you're right.

there goes Maiden.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Early pre-Bruce Maiden almost feels like a different band - a lot less polished, a bit dirtier, and all the better for it. I'll always remember Bruce's work with them fondly, but the first two albums are the ones I could more easily revisit now. And yes, Clive Burr was incredible. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    joetele said:
    Early pre-Bruce Maiden almost feels like a different band - a lot less polished, a bit dirtier, and all the better for it. I'll always remember Bruce's work with them fondly, but the first two albums are the ones I could more easily revisit now. And yes, Clive Burr was incredible. 
    Yeah early stuff was more Punk, less (but still a bit) of the Wishbone Ash/Jethro Tull side of things.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah I hear the punk influence, not surprising given the era.

I always liked Running Free.

edited December 2018
    pmbomb said:
    Yeah I hear the punk influence, not surprising given the era.

I always liked Running Free.

Dianno always claimed it was totally non-punky, but it was, at least the noisy sound had similarities.  
    that's like a fish denying water.